News Vote Vote Vote!!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
If TDC's way of dealing with your infringements was to lock you up for 42 days because he had a suspicion you were going to commit an infringement, I think you'd feel a bit aggrieved.

I would certainly hope anyone I did that to would feel aggrieved, because my deed would be wrong. However, in the land where I am king I allow my armed police to shoot people who disobey or threaten them, so I may make it into Labour yet :)

taB

Part of the furniture
I'm not voting today because when they sent me the form thing I forgot to fill it out. This will be the first time I haven't voted in the last 10 years and I don't really feel bad about not doing so. I haven't got much of a clue about current europe issues and would have probably spoiled my paper anyways.

My current mindset on politics veers between annoyed and apathetic but I will ensure I vote when the General Election comes.

Thugz

Banned
That's the most feeble analogy I've ever heard. No-one's arguing for removal of a police force, but questioning why they have the powers they do and how they can and are being abused. If TDC's way of dealing with your infringements was to lock you up for 42 days because he had a suspicion you were going to commit an infringement, I think you'd feel a bit aggrieved.

If I'm taking a photograph in the street and a policeman tries to take my camera away under "anti-terrorism laws", my freedoms are being abused. If my personal data is stored by some random civil service department and then lost on a train (or worse used against me by a civil servant with a grudge) my freedoms are being abused. If I'm charged a hundred quid for an ID Card a neither want or need, my freedoms are being abused. And these things are just the tip of the iceberg; most nefarious of all is the sheer volume of new laws introduced by Labour, many of which contradict each other, and even scarier are designed to be vague so they can change things without reference to parliament through "regulation", so even if you exercise your democratic rights to vote these wankers out, the laws are set up to work independently of parliament.
Lets face it the first few you mentioned are knee jerk reactions to terrible events of the last few years. Something had to be done and the government had to be seen to be carrying out such too. 42 days was mentioned but that is the maximum and no doubt nearly all will be released well before that dead line. Cameras? Well in really sensitive spots where such shots could be used in a number of ways why not take it off you? No doubt when your reasons for taking such shots are known and the film destroyed you would get your camera back. Civil servants with your personal data? Bit over the top this isn't it? Your data is out there for all the see now should someone want to delve. Identity theft is going on and has been going on for quite some time. The last point about identity cards is for future consideration and is highly unlikely to be implemented. Only basic personal info was suppose to be on these cards anyways. Considering the sad state of affairs of the last few years the above don't really raise much concern for me.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Lets face it the first few you mentioned are knee jerk reactions to terrible events of the last few years. Something had to be done and the government had to be seen to be carrying out such too. 42 days was mentioned but that is the maximum and no doubt nearly all will be released well before that dead line.

Oh well, if the nice policemen let the people they haven't got sufficient evidence to charge go early, that's all right then.

Cameras? Well in really sensitive spots where such shots could be used in a number of ways why not take it off you? No doubt when your reasons for taking such shots are known and the film destroyed you would get your camera back.

Apart from the fact that police actions in this case are illegal and a deliberate misuse of legislation (and its happened a number of times), its a little odd that Google can go where the fuck they please with a camera but joe public is looked on with suspicion. I also love the way you think people should be grateful they get their camera back. You really don't get the idea that they are our servants not the other way around do you?

Civil servants with your personal data? Bit over the top this isn't it? Your data is out there for all the see now should someone want to delve. Identity theft is going on and has been going on for quite some time.

This too has already happened and as the government centralises more data with insufficient oversight on just who can access it (basically any public servant with "reasonable grounds" at the moment) it will happen more and more. Just because identity theft happens doesn't mean we should make it easy and give public servants a free pass.

The last point about identity cards is for future consideration and is highly unlikely to be implemented. Only basic personal info was suppose to be on these cards anyways. Considering the sad state of affairs of the last few years the above don't really raise much concern for me.

No, it wasn't just basic info, apart from your biometric data, it tied up to a shitload of stuff on the backend; this is what people object to, the card itself is irrelevant.

I don't even know why I'm bothering; I've already left. But it would be nice to go back to my country without it becoming even more of a repressive shithole than it already was.

Damini

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer, it's a bit futile arguing it. Some people will always blindly trust the government to do the right thing, the same way as doctors are infallible, and nobody innocent is ever convicted of a crime, and that the gas chamber will have a nice bar of soup and a loofah in there. This is why Labour have stayed in power so long, because they've realised that a plausible lie is more cost effective and easier than an actual change, when a majority will swallow it regardless.

taB

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer, it's a bit futile arguing it. Some people will always blindly trust the government to do the right thing, the same way as doctors are infallible, and nobody innocent is ever convicted of a crime, and that the gas chamber will have a nice bar of soup and a loofah in there. This is why Labour have stayed in power so long, because they've realised that a plausible lie is more cost effective and easier than an actual change, when a majority will swallow it regardless.

I'm reporting this post for being doubleplusungood.

Thugz

Banned

I hope you are not referring to me? I am one of the most distrustful of people you are likely to meet. I can see the reason for certain actions though being carried out by this government. By all means a few innocent people will get convicted of this or that as they have always done. Tis a shame but if the spin off is that a great many more are convicted then so be it. Hey and back off the references to bloody gas chambers as that is way over the top!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well to a certain extent its futile to argue about it cos people believe in what they believe but people can be influenced by arguments.

I'm amazed that people actually trust Cameron to do a better job than Brown...I could never vote for that worm Cameron even if you threatened to cut my legs off

Damini

Part of the furniture
I can see the stated reason for certain actions, and I can see an underlying reason for actions, and the gulf between is where the problems lie.

Embattle

FH is my second home

A point of view that naturally, and like most, can easily be reversed as can most of DaGaffer's but either way at the moment the whole selection seems rather limited and tainted by little more than greed and self interest.

rynnor

Rockhound
Anyone who seeks to be an MP is unfit to be one - basic rule of human nature - they should just be randomly selected like for jury service.

We need a good democratic revolution - electing some bast!rd to do whatever he likes for 4 years is fundamentally flawed and can never reflect the will of the people.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My pencil hovered over BNP but I couldnt bring myself to do it, voted UKIP instead.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I wont be voting because they spelt my name wrong

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
My pencil hovered over BNP but I couldnt bring myself to do it, voted UKIP instead.

Same here, apart from voting UKIP I went Tory. So close to BNP though mainly because that would truly shit on Labour from a great height.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I have voted, know lots of people that have not bothered though.

We need more activity to encourage people to use their vote, similar to the US, where they even talk about the elections on wrestling; wrestling ffs!

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Vote cast, Tory all the way. Apparently UKIP people were annoyed this morning because they way the officers were folding the paper meant that some "thick" people didn't see their box on the sheet because it was on the third fold. If you can't work out folded paper you shouldn't be allowed to vote to be honest.

Been checking up on people I know to "gently" remind them to go vote, want as many people as possible to vote because that pushes up the chances of Labour being third of fourth resulting in Brown being kicked out and a general election. Because we need a general election and I look forwards to the Conservatives winning.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I have voted, know lots of people that have not bothered though.

We need more activity to encourage people to use their vote, similar to the US, where they even talk about the elections on wrestling; wrestling ffs!

Can you smell what baROCK is cooking?

The main benefit from the US system is the primaries, simply put the people decide on their candidates as opposed to the parties.

The main detriment to the US system is the funding.

It would be nice to take the former and somehow avoid the pitfalls of the latter.

EDIT: The US also has the benefits of a non-goverment TV system - ie local stations are financially viable and thus you get local coverage of politics much more widely than you do in the uk.

russell

FH is my second home
Voted. As always. Women devoted their whole lives to giving me my say. Hate it when people esp woman dont vote -you cant moan if you didn't vote.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, we've had this discussion in the other thread that popped up. Generally speaking it was agreed that permanent non-voters shouldn't have much in the way of complaint, but individual opt-outs of certain elections does not mean you can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom