News Vote Vote Vote!!!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Pound is stronger than the dollar as the dollar has weakened, the pound has not strengthened against the euro.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Heard on the radio today that a lot of people are voting BNP because they're so desperate for change. Didn't a similar situation occur in Germany during the 1930s, I seem to remember it not ending well.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It hasn't changed a great deal against the Euro either, nothing really to worry about.

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
If anyone can throw this opportunity away it is Cameron, I have faith in Labours ability to turn it round come the next general election.

I hope we start seeing the mp's from the other parties doing the right thing and stand down due to their scamming of expenses.

I trust Cameron to make a good sound bite and that's about it, he's shown his true colours by taking the Conservative party out of the main EU centre right coalition to form a new power block with a number of far right parties, including a polish group who believe homosexuality is a sin or a mental disease, a Hungarian party that debunks climate change and a Latvian party who attended the last commemoration of the Latvian SS.

He's slowly filling the shadow front bench with his old Etonian chums, while making youtube clips expressing how he relates to us and feels our pain, all while living off is multi million pound trust fund. The only member of the Tory front bench I have any respect for is Ken Clark, sadly he's been ordered to keep his mouth shut least he express a few positive views on the EU and send the Tory membership into a mass panic attack.

Through all the sound bites and predictions of doom and gloom the economy is doing better than many other countries and is slowly improving in most sectors, there's still hard times ahead and we've got a lot to pay off over the next few years but I'm not willing to see a generation written off to keep the city and “yar” brigade happy, especially when they're the ones who're responsible for the economic mess in the first place.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Councillors
Party +/-
CON +194
LD -20
LAB -200
OTH +26

23 of 34 councils officially declared.

Storben from the BBC.
Whats interesting is that the lib dems are losing seats as well.

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
Whats interesting is that the lib dems are losing seats as well.

The Lib Dem's are often used as a protest vote, due to the expenses fiasco voters are shifting their protest votes to some of the fridge parties they see as "untainted" by the Telegraph's campaign.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The Lib Dem's are often used as a protest vote, due to the expenses fiasco voters are shifting their protest votes to some of the fridge parties they see as "untainted" by the Telegraph's campaign.

The fridge parties?
I didn't see them on the ballot :(

rynnor

Rockhound
The fridge parties?
I didn't see them on the ballot :(

They were probably down near the bottom - our ballot paper was so long it took serious origami to fit it into the box.

I liked the 'be nice to animals' party - there were some on that paper I'd never heard of lol.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
We knew that Labour would get pasted, but was really surprising was the Conservatives taking out the Lib Dems in the West Country! But yes, Not a single Labour council in England any more, happy days.

Time for the Lib Dems and Tories to have some "meetings" to divide up vulnerable Labour seats, Tories keep out of Lib dems areas where they have no chance and vice versa, focus their resources and decimate Labour. Then hopefully we can get back to the old days of Conservatives vs Liberals.

Once can only hope :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My advice to the Tories when they get into power (i'm willing to part money on it) is "ok, you got back in - now don't fuck it up".

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
:iagree:
Absolutely! :)

Cameron will *have* to take a tip from Thatcher and go out guns blazing if he gets in at the general election. Being all meek and touchy-feely won't do. Firm, decisive action which may well be unpopular will get the gears of UK.plc turning again.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Thank christ the inbred retards in Staffordshire have actually voted out Labour, they have been in power here since 1981.

Happy days indeed.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Oh well I just hope Cameron does fuck it up so someone else who doesn't sit on the fence jumping on bandwagons and avoiding making any kind of stand for anything can come in as leader...

He is a total knob

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Oh well I just hope Cameron does fuck it up so someone else who doesn't sit on the fence jumping on bandwagons and avoiding making any kind of stand for anything can come in as leader...

He is a total knob

And Gordon Brown isn't????
I'm afraid British politics has come down to choosing the lesser of two evils, personally I think that's Cameron atm.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Plus one bonus with the Tories is that if a leader becomes unpopular and cocks up they have a good system in place to remove them. Unlike Labour....

Most people have become so used to "radical" politicians that they forget that being a moderate prime minister who doesn't hold hold hard views on things is how British politics has been for many many years before Thatcher, I think this article in the FT explains it best.

FT.com / Comment / Opinion - Brown?s fall will mark the end of British radicalism

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I'm afraid British politics has come down to choosing the lesser of two evils, personally I think that's Cameron atm.

Exactly.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Cameron is so much more so than Gordon Brown is...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Explain why dys... Labour have done nothing good this term, it was one term in power too much. They are making their own policies and chasing their own goals, not what is good for the country or what the public wants. Just look at the ID cards for a start.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I just want a fresh coat of paint for four years so that whatever government is in power know that they can't get away with fucking the UK over.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Explain why dys... Labour have done nothing good this term, it was one term in power too much. They are making their own policies and chasing their own goals, not what is good for the country or what the public wants. Just look at the ID cards for a start.

Well I have no idea what his exact policies are and he is just an opportunist..going with the flow of public opinion rather than doing what is best for the country.

I think Brown has had some really bad luck with this expenses scandal, the banks collapse and other things outside of his direct control.

I believe Brown is in government for the right reasons but I cant see that Cameron is. I just trust him a lot less than I do Brown...I don't think Cameron will be a good PM. He is more indecisive than Brown. All he does is pick holes in what Brown is doing rather than offer any real tangible alternatives.

He is also a bit anti Europe which doesnt help either.

I could be proven wrong but I can't see Cameron being all that effective. If he is it would be because he has used Browns ideas...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Brown is in government because he was so far up Blair's arse (albeit with a knife), that no one noticed when they switched places.

As for the banking thing - it was the lack of regulation and the attitude of letting the banks do what ever they want while they make money that made the mess worse than it could have been.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It was the Labour governments idea to have the FSA to regulate the financial sector. The Tories didn't even want that! Yes the FSA were not very good at what they did but neither has Corporate Governance procedures...or Corp Governance legislation in America.

This banking crisis was global and kicked off in America...This government had no control over that so it can't be blamed. The result of which snowballed around the world...

Gumbo

FH is my second home
My MP is stepping down with immediate effect in the hope of triggering a by-election. It is up to the Labour Party as to when this will take place with a suggestion emerging that it might wait until the next General Election. That could mean a year without having any representation in Government. I wonder if they've heard of the expression 'No Taxation without Representation' (Google it if you don't already know).

Welcome to the Independant State of Norwich North!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It was the Labour governments idea to have the FSA to regulate the financial sector. The Tories didn't even want that! Yes the FSA were not very good at what they did but neither has Corporate Governance procedures...or Corp Governance legislation in America.

This banking crisis was global and kicked off in America...This government had no control over that so it can't be blamed. The result of which snowballed around the world...
It's refreshing to hear a Labour supporter speak out for their opinion.
I disagree with you dys, but fair play for being man enough to speak openly about it all instead of being like a large number of Labour supporters and keeping quiet in public forums.

My personal opinion of Gordon Brown is despite his protestations, he *is* partly responsible for the current economic situation as he was Chancellor for 10 years before becoming PM. He was "the man" who was supposed to not only allocate govt spending but also make judgements on future markets. Alaister Darling has also failed spectacularly in estimating the impact of the global downturn. Remember, these people are supposed to have the best information gatherers and advisors available and are still making poor projections and forecasts. That's either bad judgement, incompetence or poor info/data from their advisors. All three are management issues and a good manager takes decisive action.

Gordon and Alaister aren't doing that right now. They're more concerned with saving their political careers than actually running the country.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes he is partly to blame but the UK is not a self sufficient economy. He wasn't the most perfect chancellor but he has been one of the best for a very long time. The UK relies on the stability of other countries within Europe and America. If their financial institustions crumble like America's did, like Iceland, Ireland and the like there is no way it won't have a devastating impact on the UK.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
To a certain extent, but there are a number of countries who put money aside during the good times and these hard times aren't hitting them nearly as hard. Norway and Chile spring to mind. The fact is that Labour did what Labour always do and spent everything they could lay their hands on and more. Yes we would still be in the creek, just not so far up it, and with better management of the countries financing over the last 12 years, we just might have had a paddle to help us get our way out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom