Games Dragon Age Origins WTF <drools>

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Starting again with a mage and just finished the tower section, enjoying it a lot more which is odd as I always play tank classes/rogues in RPGs

Corran

Part of the furniture
I dont know what it is about a mage that makes them so enjoyable. I think it is the shear range of different spell types you got access to and that it brings the strategic element of positioning to the game as well.

Just left Flemeth's home and gone to the camp for the first time on my new mage... was up till about 6am playing because was in too much pain to sleep :D

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
Finished the game yesterday with my arcane warrior mage and i have to say the ending brought up a few tears for me.
Excellent game, the story alone makes it for me among the top 3 games ever, combined with the actual game, i would say it's the best game i have ever played.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I think it felt too shallow and arcade-ish. Didn't like it.

Edit: Good storytelling tho.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I meant the story was good but the character progression system did not appeal to me, and that affected the game play in many ways.

Sure you didn't play Oblivion?

Hehu, you wish.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
I think mage is so appealing as you can control the fights so much easier, tried the warrior and sure he can stun 2 maybe 3 enemies per fight quite effectively however a mage can AoE stun like 15 units at once.
Also the damage output seems to be higher (counting in the AoE damage as the single target damage is a bit worse than a warrior and a rogue).

Only problem I find with the mage was dealing with bosses that were immune to the CC although a tank(well not really has to be a tank just a guy in plate armour) with taunt does wonders there.

But wasn't there a bug with rogues atm that made their weapon damage really alot lower than it should be? As whenever I play my rogue it just feels so gimped compared to my mage, low damage, low amount of control / CC, crap survivability(almost as bad as a cloth wearing mage).
Granted my Rogue was only level 15 so maybe it scales better when I get 10 more levels but it feels so gimped atm, could be that I am playing it wrong so all pointers appreciated!

Helme

Resident Freddy
Yes, daggers are supposed to get 1 extra damage per 0.5 dex and 0.5 strength, however they are currently getting 0 extra damage from dex and 1 from strength, which basically means that if you made a rogue focusing on dex you'll be screwed.

There is an unofficial fix however: Dexterity fix

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Shes not a bad fighter, wish she could have stayed lol. Taking my time through it, found the Superman easter egg made me chuckle, love having Shale in my party the stuff he comes out with is brilliant. Almost got enough strength to wear the Dragon plate/mass effect 2 armour. Quick question can Human Warriors Duel wield two swords, I have only longswords do I have to find 'shorter' swords like dwarven?

Helme

Resident Freddy
With maxed first Dual Wield spec(the top row of abilities) you can dualwield longswords, until then you need to use daggers and possibly shortswords(do they even exist?)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
With maxed first Dual Wield spec(the top row of abilities) you can dualwield longswords, until then you need to use daggers and possibly shortswords(do they even exist?)

Hmm Ive been holding that talent for a couple of lvls. Not sure how it will affect to my rogue to use dual swords/maces/axes instead daggers when i have something like

27 stre
36 dex
25 cunning (with Letahlity it is supposed to pick cunning instead stre for dmg calculations if cunning atribute is higher than stre)

Ive come back to dual daggers fearing that if I use dual swords Ill waste all the points in dex (cept for defense purpose). What do you think?

Helme

Resident Freddy
My rogue currently has like 34 cunning, 36dex and 22? strength using 2 longswords with momentum doing about ~70 damage per mainhand hit with backstab(not counting runes). When I used daggers I did half that pretty much, and this is with the dexterity fix I linked earlier.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
if you have really high dex and the mod that fixes dex for daggers you could keep using daggers. as a rogue you should be backstabbing like 90% of the time anyway, which would make it more useful to have a high attack speed (dagger main hand) so you get more backstabs off. but if you are not a backstabbing rogue you could just as well go for dual swords.
im using dual daggers on my rogue. with haste and momentum the backstab dps is insane!

edit: helme, do you have the assassin talents? the extra backstab damage from cunning, the bleed damage after backstabs i think that they would add more dps with daggers than with swords, due to the damage from them not being tied to weapon damage

Helme

Resident Freddy
The assassin talents apart from Mark of Death doesn't work at all, they are totally broken. Duelist is a way better option currently :x

And yeah momentum +daggers was quite fast however, I think I hit some sort of speedcap with that and the swords aren't much slower(not to mention they have brilliant stats, I mean I'm using the Meteorite Longsword and it has something silly like 11 damage and +6damage as a bonus with 3 runeslots). An added bonus with swords is that you'll do decent damage even if you don't backstab which is really nice against enemies with shields who normally have flanking immunity.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
The assassin talents apart from Mark of Death doesn't work at all, they are totally broken. Duelist is a way better option currently :x

really? i havent taken the talents yet and i guess i wont either :( that sucks

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
really? i havent taken the talents yet and i guess i wont either :( that sucks

Oh crap I was about to spend my last spec point into assasin.

You sure the generic spec bonus (+crit +backstab dmg) doesnt work? Couldnt care less for the talent tree cept Mark of Death.

Helme

Resident Freddy
All the talents are broken except the Mark, the extra stuff you get when pickin Assassin(+dex and crit I think) works tho so it's worth to pick it up just for that.

Alot of other specs are kinda broken too, for example Reavers 4th talent doesn't work at all, the same goes for the Dual Wield spec 3rd talent(a bleed when you backstab/crit - doesn't work). There was also talk about Lethality not working properly but I can't confirm that.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
Alot of other specs are kinda broken too, for example Reavers 4th talent doesn't work at all, the same goes for the Dual Wield spec 3rd talent(a bleed when you backstab/crit - doesn't work).

its called 'dual weapon expert' and i havent taken it on any of my characters yet, but i have had it proc on me by a darkspawn. it showed up as a status effect on my mage at least.

Helme

Resident Freddy
My rogue has it(need it for 4th talent) and I've yet to see it work :p

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Has anyone installed the new patch to see if it fixes certain quests/talents?

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Ah well off I go with the Star longsword and the axe with the backstab crit+lucky (wtf is that +lucky ability on it?)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Just finished the boss in the dead trenches on my 2nd playthrough and I must say, wow is it alot easier than the first time I was here with my mage+wynne+oghren, 2 spirit healer team was kinda bad :p

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm taking this game really slow though admittedly most of the time since it was released has been work related or doing non gaming things.

The initiation ceremony was all kinds of harsh. I was impressed. Very good storytelling.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Hey roo old man :)

I find it best to take your time, so many little nooks you wiss if you do not.
I missed a few things that should have caught on first play through but was having so much fun missed it. Good thing im still at the start of the game :p

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
On my second play through lol

Got the final party member to unlock the achievement

Warning major spoiler!
Loghain, woo!

It's all very Sarevok :p

(Speaking of BG2 references, I liked Gaxkang :)

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
On my second play through lol

Got the final party member to unlock the achievement

Warning major spoiler!

not BG2, but ToB! really awesome if you use him for the third ending

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, brother bought this on the xbox(haven't read thread), and what i noticed when watching is that if i treat Dragon age like a "group fable" game, more then a oblivion adventure, i could have fun with it.

Seems to have plenty to do atleast.

Is it "pratically" the same on the PC? Should i buy it on PC, or just play the xbox one when it frees up?

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
its a pc game thats ported for the console.

there are things that are worse on the consoles - you dont get massive fights, you get fights where people come at you in waves. you dont get puzzles, because they were found to be too hard for console kids. the game looks worse. i have no idea how you can micromanage your people on the console - near endgame i was using like 20 spells and abilities on my mages in battle, how the hell are you gonna do that on console?

i think i heard also that the console versions dont support programming tactics to your party members either. get the pc one mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom