This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm...Ebay people are conserned.

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by old.Tohtori, Mar 17, 2005.

1. old.Tohtori

old.Tohtori FH is my second home

Got this in my mail today:

I'm quite pleased that they informed that my updates are out of order. The only thing is, i haven't used ebay. Ever.

I'm now considering to reply to the lovely people at "ebay" that i will be sending new and improved billing updates hat will be in order and not hazzle with the court as much. I'm quite worried they will terminate my account, even though i don't own one. But termination sounds really bad.

EDIT:

Sent the lovely people this:

Hello,

I'm quite worried about my billing informations. I don't wish for my account to be terminated and i'm hoping we can solve this somehow.

The link you added to the mail you sent me(below), didn't work. I tried clicking it several times butit always came up with a 404 error. Could you please advice me on how to keep my account working?

Could you always send me what terms of service laws i'm about to break. I really don't want any trouble.

-Jeff Toinder

2. Will

Will /bin/su Staff member Moderator

Are you sure it wasn't a random phishing email?

3. Brynn

Brynn Can't get enough of FH

try clicking the update records thing, and check to make sure there is the padlock in firefox to prove it is an official thingymabob

4. Jonty

Jonty Fledgling Freddie

Hi old.Tohtori

This is almost certainly a phishing email, designed to get you to part with sensitive information. They can often seem very convincing indeed, and mostly target PayPal, eBay and a few well-known banks.

The key is always to always go to the official website (e.g. eBay.com, PayPal.com) and never use any links provided in these bogus emails, as the links will often direct you to a bogus site which may otherwise appear very plausible by the way it looks.

If there is a notice on the official site (having visited eBay.com, PayPal.com etc. by typing it in your browser) then you know it's genuine (99% of the time at any rate). If there is no message nor any mention of a problem, forget about it. The golden rule is never to click on the links in these kind of emails, not matter how genuine they may appear :)

Kind Regards

5. Jonty

Jonty Fledgling Freddie

Hi again

Here's a generally convincing PayPal phishing email doing the rounds, just for future reference (usually in HTML from service@paypal.com (the full header reveals the deception, as the email has come from elsewhere, if you're more tech. savvy)). Again, never click any of the links in such emails.

Kind Regards

6. DaGaffer

DaGaffer Down With That Sorta Thing

I've had this one a couple of times. Scarily professional if you're not clued up about these bastards.

7. Jonty

Jonty Fledgling Freddie

I agree, DaGaffer. The first time I got it I read it through thinking it was serious. Here's hoping the more people get clued up about these things the less effect they will have, but they can be very hard to spot nowadays :(

Kind Regards

8. old.Tohtori

old.Tohtori FH is my second home

Thanks a bunch for the concern peeps. I figured it was a scammy spammy 'cause i don't own an ebay account :p

That's why i was so, ahem, eager to "solve" the problem by asking them for more stuff. Always up for a little bit of scammy scamming :D

9. Doh_boy

Doh_boy Part of the furniture

I thought he was being sarcastic.. :/

/edit

:D He beat me to it.

10. Clown

Clown Part of the furniture

I knew he was playing up to it. Why didn't you bastards spot what he was up to?

11. Jonty

Jonty Fledgling Freddie

Joking aside, at least people reading the thread will have some idea of the scams out there :)

Be sure to let us know if they reply to your email, old.Tohtori, hehe :D

Kind Regards

12. Munkey

Munkey Can't get enough of FH

Heh. Will be interesting to see if they reply

(Btw, does anyone else think Jonty's avatar looks like a G-string or something?)

13. Vae

Vae Part of the furniture FH Subscriber

I think you've been looking at too many of the pictures I thought were banned by your ISP! :p

14. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

People still let 'workmen' in the front door who proceed to rob the biscuit tin of savings, so I don't hold out much hope of phishing being stopped, ever tbh.

15. Jonty

Jonty Fledgling Freddie

Eek! That wasn't my intention, hehe :) It's actually computer-generated based around a sine curve algorithm, so I'm told.

Perhaps I'll change it to something else, I don't want to disturb the moral fabric of FH ;)

Kind Regards

16. tris-

tris- Failed Geordie and Parmothief

look, we dont need your crap. just update your account and there will be no troubles.

or give me your billing info, and i will do it for you.

17. ~Yuckfou~

~Yuckfou~ Lovely person

EBay won't email you asking you to log on with a link. Ever.

18. Gray

Gray Part of the furniture

Sure they well, or they wouldnt have emailed Toeey!

Obviously!

19. Bodhi

Bodhi Resident Freddy

All I have to contribute to this thread is:--

conCerned motherfucker!