What game are you playing?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
GAME set up the first DAOC forums on BW/GAME.NET as official European forums for the game (I know because I did the deal with Koch who were the DAOC distributor because basically they were fucking their own forums up). It was one of many monetization plans we were trying out to keep the whole show on the road until we could get our digital distribution platform across the line. The money we got from running BT's servers had kept us going for a couple of years but when they closed down we were strapped for cash (I'd done a deal with NTL and a couple more forum deals, and the lads had built a really clever clan server system, but GAME pulled the plug before we could launch any of it).

When GAME pulled the plug DAOC was one of the largest forums on the platform so Deebs decided to keep it going on FH, which he launched as BW closed. (GAME kept the BW IP because when we bought the BW assets we kept the tax loss as a benefit and there were still residuals; GAME did it again when they bought Gameplay; those tax losses were huge and subsidised GAME's online activities for years, but I'd gone by then).

So when FH launched there were two popular forums; OT (DAOC) and General (BW), which eventually merged.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
All the way from the original BW daoc forum I have never switched, it was always an admin move as you described.

So thats why I said I was the only one playing, I still see it as a daoc forum.

Which it isnt anymore.

I can find those old BW posts on google, but cant search through freddys.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Age of Empires II Definitive Edition is out and Age of Empires IV gameplay footage...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been playing through the Wolfenstein games, starting from New Order. They're really, really good. I'm on Wolfenstein 2 now and this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game. Basically there are a load of traps on the boat, frying Nazis, and this one tries to get through:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyx1uKQAG68

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Terraria, Dungeon Defenders Awakened, DAOC on Eden (already getting bored of Eden though), few of the free games Epic gave away over Christmas.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I've been playing through the Wolfenstein games, starting from New Order. They're really, really good. I'm on Wolfenstein 2 now and this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game. Basically there are a load of traps on the boat, frying Nazis, and this one tries to get through:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyx1uKQAG68

Yeah, really enjoyed them. Didn't finish the latest one though.

Mostly I am playing Icarus, FM23, 7 days to die

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cyberpunk 2077 right now. Before boiling myself some more :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Eden is rubbish

Agree. It's just more of the same wrapped up in a different colour bowtie. Population is high right now, as always i'd wager it'll be dead within 6-9 months. If it survives beyond that with a healthly population I will be VERY surprised. the issue with the last few freeshards hasn't wholely been the community but the staff imo... its ALWAYS the same staff, some of them are talented coders, some of them are ego tripping wankers that drag the rest down, I've noticed in the Eden Discord it has some of the tosser Celestius stuff, which is why I don't think it's going to survive.
Going forward, I hope they start to realise its the staff that's fucking the servers rather than the players and get rid of the dead weight.

Last edited:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I still play TF2 regularly, it shows no signs of dying. Mind you when you can dress up as a giant fat chicken and tickle people to death, why would it?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Haven't played in a while so began a new start of Satisfactory after all the recent updates. That damn game should come with a health warning, it's more addictive than crack.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've started playing Mindustry. It was dead cheap and is quite fun. It's in that factorio vein.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I've been playing Wartales a lot recently... a great medieval fantasy squad based RPG.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What is the closet set of games to C&C/Red Alert/Total Annihilation type of game play right now? No turn based shite please. Preferably multiplayer.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I dunno exactly but I play AoE4 with my son :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And a friend of mine still plays Dawn Of War 1 (a mod admittedly). Never played that mod myself but DoW1 was soooo good. Glad it's still being played.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
What is the closet set of games to C&C/Red Alert/Total Annihilation type of game play right now? No turn based shite please. Preferably multiplayer.

Starcraft 2 is still quite active. We could play sometime if you want to get some practice in first :p just give me a poke on Bnet.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Those style of RTS games (and RTS as a genre tbh) isn't very popular these days, at least not many are made.

The two most modern equivalent I can think of are Ashes of the Singularity, and Grey Goo (this one was overlooked by nearly everyone on release but is surprisingly good)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Need a good near future RTS.

See above, they're going into it with a large budget too, backed by Dream Haven I think? Morhaimes new studio.

Edit: actually nah, not from Dream Haven - they do have a big budget though, investors can be seen here

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I love Northgard, but it's not really a traditional RTS.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Warzone 2100 is probably the best RTS game I've ever played. Build, research and upgrade, design your own units and fight C&C style. It came out in the playstation 1 era but there's a free source version for the PC. I doubt there's multiplayer though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Have you played the Homeworld Remastered series?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is an RTS on land. It's pretty, and the action sequences are satisfying. Never played multiplayer, but it's there

Friends of mine play Ashes of the Singularity together.

If you want to step it up in terms of complexity and scope, Hearts of Iron IV. Great single player and co-op multiplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom