Hmm...Ebay people are conserned.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Got this in my mail today:

It has come to our attention that your eBay billing updates are out of order. If you could please take 1-2 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records.

Once you have updated your account records your eBay session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems.

To update your eBay records now click here:
(URLYTHINGYWASHERE)

I'm quite pleased that they informed that my updates are out of order. The only thing is, i haven't used ebay. Ever.

I'm now considering to reply to the lovely people at "ebay" that i will be sending new and improved billing updates hat will be in order and not hazzle with the court as much. I'm quite worried they will terminate my account, even though i don't own one. But termination sounds really bad.

EDIT:

Sent the lovely people this:

Hello,

I'm quite worried about my billing informations. I don't wish for my account to be terminated and i'm hoping we can solve this somehow.

The link you added to the mail you sent me(below), didn't work. I tried clicking it several times butit always came up with a 404 error. Could you please advice me on how to keep my account working?

Could you always send me what terms of service laws i'm about to break. I really don't want any trouble.

-Jeff Toinder

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
try clicking the update records thing, and check to make sure there is the padlock in firefox to prove it is an official thingymabob

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi old.Tohtori

This is almost certainly a phishing email, designed to get you to part with sensitive information. They can often seem very convincing indeed, and mostly target PayPal, eBay and a few well-known banks.

The key is always to always go to the official website (e.g. eBay.com, PayPal.com) and never use any links provided in these bogus emails, as the links will often direct you to a bogus site which may otherwise appear very plausible by the way it looks.

If there is a notice on the official site (having visited eBay.com, PayPal.com etc. by typing it in your browser) then you know it's genuine (99% of the time at any rate). If there is no message nor any mention of a problem, forget about it. The golden rule is never to click on the links in these kind of emails, not matter how genuine they may appear :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi again

Here's a generally convincing PayPal phishing email doing the rounds, just for future reference (usually in HTML from service@paypal.com (the full header reveals the deception, as the email has come from elsewhere, if you're more tech. savvy)). Again, never click any of the links in such emails.

PayPal Phishing Email said:
Dear [email-address],

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly
screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account,
and we need more information to help us provide you with a secure service.
Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account
features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon
as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

dd mmm. yyyy: We would like to ensure that your account was
not accessed by an unauthorised third party. Because protecting the security
of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive
PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience
but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-xxx-xxx-xxx.)

How can I restore my account access?

Protect Your Account Info

Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent persons.

PayPal automatically encrypts your confidential information using the
Secure Sockets Layer protocol (SSL) with an encryption key length of 128-bits
(the highest level commercially available).

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review
our Security Tips at http://www.paypal.com/securitytips

Protect Your Password

You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

Please visit the [suspect address] and complete the "Security Measures."

Completing all the items will automatically
restore your account access. If you choose to ignore our request, you
leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

Please do not reply to this e-mail.
Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.
Kind Regards

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Jonty said:
Hi again

Here's a generally convincing PayPal phishing email doing the rounds, just for future reference (usually in HTML from service@paypal.com (the full header reveals the deception, as the email has come from elsewhere, if you're more tech. savvy)). Again, never click any of the links in such emails.

Kind Regards

I've had this one a couple of times. Scarily professional if you're not clued up about these bastards.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I agree, DaGaffer. The first time I got it I read it through thinking it was serious. Here's hoping the more people get clued up about these things the less effect they will have, but they can be very hard to spot nowadays :(

Kind Regards

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thanks a bunch for the concern peeps. I figured it was a scammy spammy 'cause i don't own an ebay account :p

That's why i was so, ahem, eager to "solve" the problem by asking them for more stuff. Always up for a little bit of scammy scamming :D

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
I thought he was being sarcastic.. :/

/edit

:D He beat me to it.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I knew he was playing up to it. Why didn't you bastards spot what he was up to?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Joking aside, at least people reading the thread will have some idea of the scams out there :)

Be sure to let us know if they reply to your email, old.Tohtori, hehe :D

Kind Regards

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Heh. Will be interesting to see if they reply

(Btw, does anyone else think Jonty's avatar looks like a G-string or something?)

Vae

Resident Freddy
Munkey said:
Heh. Will be interesting to see if they reply

(Btw, does anyone else think Jonty's avatar looks like a G-string or something?)

I think you've been looking at too many of the pictures I thought were banned by your ISP! :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
People still let 'workmen' in the front door who proceed to rob the biscuit tin of savings, so I don't hold out much hope of phishing being stopped, ever tbh.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Munkey said:
Eek! That wasn't my intention, hehe :) It's actually computer-generated based around a sine curve algorithm, so I'm told.

Perhaps I'll change it to something else, I don't want to disturb the moral fabric of FH ;)

Kind Regards

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
old.Tohtori said:
Got this in my mail today:

I'm quite pleased that they informed that my updates are out of order. The only thing is, i haven't used ebay. Ever.

look, we dont need your crap. just update your account and there will be no troubles.

or give me your billing info, and i will do it for you.

Gray

FH is my second home
Sure they well, or they wouldnt have emailed Toeey!

Obviously!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
All I have to contribute to this thread is:--

conCerned motherfucker!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom