Help Breathing when running

russell

FH is my second home
Hi There,

I have upped my training to include running. Which is quite startling to me, as those who know me will testify that I am not built to run at all:) (Far too top heavy:p)

Any hoO I am actually finding it good and am in the walk/ run/ walk/ run process atm, trying to build up the running bit.

For those of you 'in the know', I have real difficulty breathing in through ny nose whilst running and find it much easier to take shallow breathes in and out through my mouth.

Obviously when I stop, I regulate my breathing in nose and out mouth, but, as a former yoga practitioner it worries me that I am doing it all wrong and not helping my body run longer.

Any pointers?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
It is just a matter of practice I think. I started running my self a few weeks ago. Try to breath in a ryhtm if possible. Depending on how fast your breathing, you have a different rythm i.e. just starting out might be 4 counts in 4 counts out, 1/4 way through your at 3 in 3 out, a bit further 2 in 2 out etc.

Being a yoga practitioner im sure you probably know to breath right in to the abdomen and not just the chest and to make sure you fully exhale all the air (most important, otherwise you get a big build up of CO2 in the lungs and more out of breath).

Maybe worth checking your posture too - back straight and head up so you can breath deeply.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
mouse_pointer_wolfram_es_01-smaller.png

Not sure what you want this for?

russell

FH is my second home
Huzzaz Tris!
So does it matter that I am breathing shallowly through my mouth?

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Never looked at it from a technical point of view but when i go running i usually breath through my nose for the first 7/8 minutes then breath more heavily through my mouth until i stop.

I always assumed it was just a case of how much oxygen your body needs to do what you are asking it to do. As you muscles/respiratory system get used to running they need less oxygen and you can breath through your nose for longer.

tris-

Huzzaz Tris!
So does it matter that I am breathing shallowly through my mouth?

Well yes Id say so. Im not expert mind, just going off my own experiences. If you do that you probably wont last as long and might find you get a 'stitch'. Plus, if youre only breathing in to your chest youre not using your full lung capacity i reckon.

Try it your self. Try a session of breathing shallow in to the chest. Try a session breathing in a ryhtm in to the abdomen and note the difference. Also worth nothing that you might find it difficult to breath for the first 15 minutes of jogging, after thatthe oxygen regulates again in the body (apparently, that is why it feels like you get a second wind).

russell

FH is my second home
Thanks -will try it, tho I like Pez's response too

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I'm no expert but:

For a start you need to stop breathing shallow. As Tris says you need to fully exhale but also you need to draw in as much breath as you can, this strengthens your diaphragm and makes breathing easier, it should also give you a good layer of firm muscle under your rib cage. It's not natural you have to concentrate on forcing the air out and drawing it in. Try and do it slowly too, if you're breathing too heavily you're over doing it. I like to use my nose as a guide for over doing it, if I can keep my breath without resorting to breathing through my mouth then I'm at a good pace, or at least in through the nose and out through the mouth. Some use the talk test, if you can talk without difficultly then you're at a good pace.
Also try and get out of the run walk run pace, try and keep a running pace for at least 20 minutes, it doesn't matter how fast it is as long as it's a running motion. Like a dad run.
Make sure you drink plenty of water a good while before you run, then drink lots afterwards, avoid drinking during a run, that's when you get a stitch. And if you drink lucozade or any energy drinks make sure you drink water as well, the high sugar content is like caffine and can cause heart palpatations, I know from experience.
Running uphills is good for developing the leg muscles, if you use a treadmill always set it to at least an incline of 1 otherwise the benifit is minimal.

On a musical note (and this is personally speaking) pick music that has a beat that matches your footfalls, Mr Brightside by the killers is a good one and almost anything by Jimmy eat world lol.

tris-

In yoga, do you make use of chi/ki from the abdomen? If so, apply that principle to your running to understanding why it is better to breath fully :)

Thugz

Banned
Well I run a great deal - 2x a day now. To be honest I don't think about whether I breathe in through my nose or mouth - I just breathe in a relaxed manner. When you sprint for instance or do a long interval you just need to get oxygen into your lungs be it through the nose or mouth as fast as possible. I only tend to purposely breathe in through the nose though when I run through a cloud of flies or something. Nothing worse than getting a damn fly stuck in your windpipe. I think the aim really is to run in a relaxed manner so that your body is coping easily and not causing you to gasp. The fitter you become the less the strain and the easier your breathing will become. Just get that oxygen into your lungs through the path of least resistance - mouth normally. Eventually you can get fit enough to not think about your breathing at all and become more concerned with your leg muscles or the surface your are running on, or the surroundings. Running is a wonderful sport and the fitter you are the better it can be.

russell

FH is my second home
Dont worry -I always keep my promises.

Just need Ed to help me upload them cos I am a thicko when it comes to IT and the offical one that I ordered hasn't arrived yet -its blocked on the net so you cant copy and paste it. I did screen print, but it is tiny.

Patience Nath:p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah fair enough. I can wait, just wanted to make sure you weren't pulling a fast one on us :).

Mey

Part of the furniture
Oddly I found talking to someone when running let me set up a good rythme.

russell

FH is my second home
blimey - i cant really talk when I run yet- not quite there!!!

tris-

Maybe youre trying to run too fast then, go for longer time instead of speed.

russell

FH is my second home
I think it is just all new to me. I haven't run properly since school:p

sayward

Resident Freddy
I just can't run let alone breathe and do it. Walk fast, yes. I'm sure running is really bad for your pelvic floor.

tris-

Anyone can run but most start off running too fast and get put off at how hard it seems.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I went for a three mile run last night followed by a 5 mile bike ride. My breathing is crap, I find I am either concentrating on the breathing so much I forget about the running part or I forget to breath and swallow.

Is there a technique to keep your mouth moist (don't answer Trem) while running? or is it just a case of keep drinking fluids?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm I don't run, but I do bike, and I would recommend getting the best possible shoes you can afford from a proper running shop (usually filled with skinny men). build up your regime so slowly that you are almost doing nothing, to allow your body to get used to the fact that you are doing something.

TdC

I went for a three mile run last night followed by a 5 mile bike ride. My breathing is crap, I find I am either concentrating on the breathing so much I forget about the running part or I forget to breath and swallow.

Is there a technique to keep your mouth moist (don't answer Trem) while running? or is it just a case of keep drinking fluids?

hmm for me when biking, I try to regulate my breathing, but usually I forget and just bike. imo if you're doing something and you're not experiencing any issues then all is well.

does your mouth dry out when you exercise (not with Trem) then Cal? do you breath through your mouth too? in that case a sip every now and then may be the answer, though if you are a mouth breather then you'll have to be careful and time it so you don't choke yourself when swallowing.

russell

FH is my second home
Well mine is ok so far:) I just suck it all in as I run and tighten my buttocks too!!

tris-

Sounds sick but I usually accumulate a lot of spit Ive found, so I swill it around my mouth before I get rid of it if needed.

Might be worth a go. I dont drink because it gives me a stitch and meses up my breathing. My mouth does not usually dry out.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Russell,

I'd suggest if you can't talk when running, you might be going a little fast. Be patient, your breath will eventually improve.

If you are out of breath, I find it help to breathe out hard too.

Got round my first marathon at the weekend, up in Edinburgh. 4hrs 34, woot woot!

russell

FH is my second home
Well done Milkshake. That is brilliant xxxx

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
hmm I don't run, but I do bike, and I would recommend getting the best possible shoes you can afford from a proper running shop (usually filled with skinny men). build up your regime so slowly that you are almost doing nothing, to allow your body to get used to the fact that you are doing something.

Oh thats not an odd amount of distance for me tbh, it's just my first day back after my op. I have tried breathing in and out with every organ :p Maybe I just need to stop thinking about it and let my brain sort it out for me.

TdC

I'd suggest if you can't talk when running, you might be going a little fast. Be patient, your breath will eventually improve.

yeah I agree. it's like giving a presentation to a group: speak so slowly that you think you're slow, and then go even slower. in this case run slowly. in my case, bike slowly. I agree it's actually quite hard: I don't want to bike slowly, in fact getting passed on slopes by old ladies in pushchairs is pretty naff. However, it will be better for me if I take it slow. Biking at =>80% of my max heart rate all the time is not a good thing, etc.

TdC

Oh thats not an odd amount of distance for me tbh, it's just my first day back after my op. I have tried breathing in and out with every organ :p Maybe I just need to stop thinking about it and let my brain sort it out for me.

I suppose there's some efficient rhythm to it. For example, when I was still doing fitness, my instructor told me to push a weight in a count of one, and let it sink back in a count of three. For certain exercises you had to breath in when pushing, and for others you had to breath out when pushing.

When I am biking up a hill that is furthest from my mind though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom