Advice Trainers for actual running

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I've decided it's time to get fit again. I've got a plan and it involves running. The only thing is I've got no idea what trainers are actually good for that, vs just being a fashion accessory. So I'm turning to the brain trust to recommend a pair that don't cost the annual GDP of a small country.

If it helps, I'm 6' 2", 12st and have a somewhat dodgy right knee.

Gracias amigos!

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
My brother used to be well into running until it destroyed his knees, he now cycles.
He went to a proper running shop, they analysed his gait and showed him what would be best for him. Everyone is different regardless of height /weight etc. I would strongly advise doing the same.
His knees got knackered because he was running too much, he's a gym junkie.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, there's no evidence that running is bad for your knees - in fact the opposite. Just sayin' :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Like Scouse I saw some information that said it helps, although I hate running and much prefer cycling. Like Yuck said, probably better to go to a proper shop and get some good ones otherwise it'll make the running even more unbearable :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
If you do not run prolly best to talk to a professional also rather than trust Dr Internet

Bob007

Prince Among Men
I run and bike. Not big distances, 5k runs, 100k bike is about my limit. I will tell you what I have learnt.

1, Stuff will hurt if something isn't right. Bad trainers, bad fitting bike and so on. Go get fitted, correct trainers feel like air under you. I have Brooks Launch 5 and they are amazing. As ~Yuckfou~ and Yoni have both said "get professional advice."
2, First 6 weeks are the worst. I hated everyone and everything wanted to quit so often, push through it. IT WILL GET BETTER, I promise.
3, Find a good local route. Something with good scenery or something to look at. Hedges at head height are nice you get a peek every so often into someone else world. Monuments, statues anything to set goals at later on.
4, Get a good set of thermals now for winters, they are so much cheaper in the summer and running/biking in the winter is really cool(sorry, no pun). Everything looks different and the cold keeps a lot of people indoors.
5, Enjoy it.

Good Luck :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The wife has a ladies running group.
Ive never run in my life and I have the best joints out of all of them.
The entire conversation is injury, straps, pain, knee braces..best surgeons, steroid joint injections.

They are the most unhealthy bunch , Im sure their cardio is good...but holy fuck, two of the older women had heart attacks while running and have pacemaker/defibs fitted.

Just sayin....

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I sit on my fat arse with crisps and beer.

Knees fine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I could murder a fry up.
I've not been dodging them but I've gone from 18% body fat to about 15.5% since the lockdown whilst maintaining the same weight (13 stone at 6'2" - still @23BMI).

Wales is f*cking hilly to bike about. Especially offroad. :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If he was overweight, or predisposed genetically, or had existing injury then yes, but otherwise running is good for you.

First result googled, just 'cause :)
Yeah, running did my knee in with none of those issues, so frankly fuck Google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom