What game got you into online gaming?

S

Swift^

No, I was banned for posting some light hearted pirate related threads.

This was one of many accounts I reregged with to get around the ban as the ban had not followed proper banning procedure (I wasn't ever warned, just outright banned), until bif eventually was pointed in a direction of one of my posts and figured out I'd been using Swift^ to get around the ban.

It's all been sorted now, I'm free on the forums as other users although obviously I have to watch my language and "behaviour" more. Shame really, cos if more people were on the ball they'd realise there's no bad behaviour - it's a shame so many people on forums can only take what they see written down - and can't read between the lines, read contexts and moods from lines - either through plain failing to spot it or not being arsed.

Chose the swift account back over the wazz one - dunno why, I kinda like the name and avatar I got going on at the moment.

And herein ends the discussion on the circumstances surrounding my banning - don't question little details here and there - it will only cause trouble and arguments - all that matters is the ban no longer stands.

P

psygnal

First 'real' online game I played was Doom... but the first multiplayer one I played to any great extent was Asherons Call.

Still playing it... bloody good game.

Rob

Paintball Manager Extreme
http://www.paintball.co.nz/

M

mank

Originally posted by Swift^
Chose the swift account back over the wazz one - dunno why, I kinda like the name and avatar I got going on at the moment.

I liked your burning child one :[

O

Ono

Originally posted by Ulysses777
Starcraft :)

Great game.

Total Annihilation was the online RTS of choice for me but SC played a very well balanced game.

Too many damn Koreans to beat though. ;)

S

(Shovel)

I got online, loading up Gamespy and tried Quake and Quake II. The mouse was lagged in Quake, so I played Quake II.

Clan wise, I was in GA for some time before we merged with... erm... SYN? which then became DRM... I forget. I wasn't really playing after Q2BattleUK fell apart - I was involved in running that too. I did a lot of the jobs that needed doing really, the webmaster disappeared one day so I took over, it's what got me into webdev in the first place really, did quite a bit of the PR too. Was good for the learning, but not so much for the Quake 2... heh :)

M

Munkey-

Gosh, i remember playing Air Attack offline for hours at a time, dreaming of playing it online on wireplay (never did get round to it)

and TA as well as Warcraft II were great multiplayer games.

would a LAN game of warcraft II count as my first multiplayer game? or does it have to be on the internet?

S

Swift^

Burning children are great, but he has been burning for a couple of years now - I'm surprised he even had as much arm left as he did in the end.

You never know, in the future I may wish to burn some more children - in which case, the embers will be blown upon.

C

Chameleon

Quake1/QuakeWorld was the game that got me into online gaming. Wow what a game, it blew me away!! Only game that has done it for me since then has been quake3 and am still playing it now. Hurrah for ID Software!!! :D It's kind of a double edged sword though ..... as every game I've bought since, I've installed, played for 5 minutes, decided it's not as good as quake3 and uninstalled it :eek:

W

Wij

Network games I started with Doom. Duels over null modem cable mostly.

Actually online on tha intarweb though I started with QW. I played for [DF] a lowly lower-league MCW clan with some of the peeps who now maintain this fair green pasture. Great fun.

Then when that fizzled out I played UTCTF with {WM} and enjoyed mucho success for a while. I also adminned the BWUT leagues like the no-life I was :)

Now I just potter around on DAoC occasionally when I'm allowed to...

G

Gef

If we goin way back into the mists of time, the first game I played online was Skidmarks on the miggy. Used to have some good races with people from BBS's.

Played a load of FPS games, and that free WW2 flying game that came free with BT WirePlay..

Only started playing seriously when UO came out, god that game rocked. Two years of my student life were overtaken by that bloody game. I used to go to sleep at 8am and wake up at 6pm for the free phonecalls :)

B

Blue(V)oon

AirQuake (1), the grandpappa to BF1942 / DC

then into ActionQuake2 bigtime, good old BW dialup and the days of ISDN LPB's

N

)nick(

DWANGO (kinda half internet thingy-ish)
Q95.BAT TCP/IP all the way baby!

X

xane

I did play Doom over a direct connection once, loved it.

What got me hooked was Quake2, especially the CTF, I have always stuck with team based games since.

First MMOG game was Asheron's Call.

B

Big G

Anyone play stunt car racer head to head on the Amiga over a null modem cable?

That was incredible.

G

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Big G
Anyone play stunt car racer head to head on the Amiga over a null modem cable?

That was incredible.

G
Yep me and my brother had an Amiga each in our rooms and we made a cable go through the loft and into each room via the ceiling :)

Played stuff like Stunt Car Racer, Skidmarks, Armour-Geddon amongst others :) old days.. long gone days..

D

DaGaffer

Descent. First on CompuServe in about 1996-7 (I worked there) and then on the first Wireplay beta. Didn't play after that until I came to work at GAME towers and then I think I started out with UT.

S

Sawtooth

Duke3D , Quake1 @ EF1

Beta tested for the first Wireplay service and got my phone bill paid back in full!! Those were the days. Think it was 95-96ish

Called myself Spottydog then after my favourite Woodentops character.

R

ReActor

QuakeWorld, like so many others. I think it was mid-1997. Finally got a modem faster than 14.4 (I got 33.6! 1337!) and was hooked straight away.

Unfortunately got my arse kicked all the time! Things didn't really kick off till Quake 2, which was much easier.

Also, some of the best online gaming I can remember was playing Painkeep for QW. Best deathmatch mod ever made, no doubt!

J

Jonaldo

I think the US Robotics 56k Sportster modem should go down in gaming history to be honest :)

C

Chameleon

Originally posted by mank
Diamond Supra Express external wins
Agreeeeeed. I used to get called an lpb while using mine on the barrydial heheheh

B

Big G

I was a US robotics 56k external, gave me the lowest ping of 95 in QW, and my lowest ping of 127 on CS.

Ahhh, dial-up.... those days are loooooooooong gone.

G

Users who are viewing this thread