What game got you into online gaming?

E

Embattle

Originally posted by mank
You call Quake 'too brown' but play Q2? :D

Q2 had different shades of brown, and AQ2 had green, red, etc ;)

T

throdgrain

Originally posted by mank
What clans did the Q2 peeps play for?

KEA of course ! :)

I was given a computer by a customer of mine, I took it home cos it look all flash and spangly, but didnt know what to do with it .It was a Early Pentium 1 or something.
Anyway, I bought Doom2 and played that, then bought Quake and played that. Then I bought Quake 2, but it wouldnt run well on this pc, so i went a bought a -oooo- Cerleron 400 with on board graphics. Rock !
This pc had a modem though, so I was off playing q2 online from that moment onwards, maybe 1998 or 1999 ?

M

Munkey-

Hmmm. i Remember the doom demo, scared the shit out of me. Anyone remember Raptor? god did that game rock :p

Think i started playing online about........6 years ago now....97 ish.

NF,NG,NC,NL,NM VotJ FFA. Should poke my nose into the MSN gaming zone again, should still be a few old timers playing it hopefully (considering that it nearly always had 1000+ people playing it online at that time)

*nostalgic*

G

Gumbo

Tried Rogue Spear online with a modem and then moaned how crap it was to a mate at work. He lent me a copy of Half Life and I played TFC for a couple of weeks, then got my own copy of HL and downloaded CS and got dragged in from there.

W

WPKenny

I can't remember exactly. It was through wireplay though. I was prolly messing with Quake and Quake2. What really got me started was AQ2.

Played it pretty much non stop for around 2 years or so. Then I fell out with my dad over, among others, the phone bill so I moved in with my girlfriend but her house was in the middle of no where and the line would drop every so often so I couldn't get a decent game and I gave up trying.

Then went to uni which was firewalled. I got the odd game and nearly recaptured the old glory but at that stage a lot of people were getting into Counter Strike in a BIG way.

Then Damini got me into Ultima Online and I played that for years and years with the odd bit of FPS.

I'm still a FPS player at heart. :)

C

Ch3tan

C&C, but only for a while. Quake3demo and the UTdemo a lot, and then quake3 itself. Then I found CS :)

C

CAC

Q2,sin and unreal were the first games i bought for the pc

X

Xtro 2.0

Doom 2 then Quake.

Only played occasionally, preferred C&C online.

When Tribes came out that was it...hours and hours, clans, leagues, admin duties, liasion, yadda yadda yadda. Watching old demos of me playing Tribes is odd :)

B

Big G

I played a lot of QW between '96 and '98 online (starting off on wireplay since it was the easiest method of online gaming at the time), went to Scotlan in Irvine in '99, but i first started playing Doom over a null modem cable with my mate at the age of 15 (rock on 386 DX 20 + 8 Mb!!)

QW started to wane with the advent of Q2 (which was pash imo), but QW lived on. Q3 came along and I dabbled in that, but always went back to QW 'cos Q3 was mince on 56k. Interestingly, the very day i got Q3 delivered, my first 1v1 was against Sujoy. It's a small world.

Then one day, someone said "you played this new mod counterstrike for half life?". I downloaded beta 5 and I was hooked on CS ever since.

I miss the old skool QW days though, but i don't miss the £400 phone bills :eek:

G

T

Teh Krypt

My first online game was prolly Age of Empires 2. I LOVED that game, had a little clan, I played it every night for months and months :p.

About feb/march 2002 I found game called Dark age of Camelot. I was hooked, was gaming away on my 1ghz, 128mb ram, 8mb graphics laptop :p. 8 Months later I got a good pc and was even more hooked :D.

A few months ago I finaly gave up that game (yay) and feel like a bit of AOE2 now im stuck on 56k for a while :D

C

Ch3tan

/me closes my eyes and chants "There is no such thing as krypt, there is no such thing as krypt, there is no such thing as krypt"

A

Any

I think it was X-Wing vs Tie Fighter played on The Zone. But it could have been Quake 2 CTF. Whichever came out first id guess.
Good times. And now i havent played a game in ages.

Do people still play Tribes 2? I played it for a bit and seem to think it was lots of fun. But I couldnt remember my password and Sierra were complete dicks about resetting it, then i lost the cd :(

B

Big G

I also dabbled in Tribes, but being on 56k, I never took it up seriously.

G

M

MYstIC G

Quake 2 (LMCTF) then back to QuakeWorld which unfortunatly I never got used too as it was like I'd learnt to drive at 25mph then tried to cross over into the fast lane.

Oh & congrats Krypt, you realise you have become the single biggest mong/tard/(insert other insults here) on these forums and as such will have the honour of being the only person to actually make it onto my ignore list permanantly.

C

Ch3tan

Originally posted by Any
I think it was X-Wing vs Tie Fighter played on The Zone. But it could have been Quake 2 CTF. Whichever came out first id guess.

Do people still play Tribes 2? I played it for a bit and seem to think it was lots of fun. But I couldnt remember my password and Sierra were complete dicks about resetting it, then i lost the cd :(

You want to buy mine? £15 box, manuals everything in good condition, plus my account with sierra.

C

chretien

Diablo and Diablo 2
Met my missus playing that game.
Sad but true.

J

Jupitus

Legend of Mir after catching their tv show on digital, but only on 56k at the time. Then migrated to DAoC and played that for a while, and tried out several others along the way.

After 6 years trying I finally managed to get broadband and it's opening up the world of FPS online to me now. Planetside is where I am at the mo but as I get more used to the style I may try others (have a couple of fun games such as BF1942 and RTCW which I have only played single player mode so far).

Despite having a decen connection, though, I'm still depressingly slow to react :)

U

-Ultimate

Originally posted by Any

Yup theres still a Euro community going at http://tribes2.theladder.org/

And if you want a copy i think Amazon sell it for £7.50 with a 1-2 week dispatch, or you can buy it from one of the marketplace sellers on amazon for the same price but it'll get there quicker. Don't pay some stupid price like £15 quid for it though! ;)

W

Will

As a youth, I used to play Doom (or was it Doom 2? So long ago) on a LAN. I dabbled in Quake, then Quake2, then Quake3 on the Uni LAN (Department of Computing Sciences PhD Office:)). I didn't buy my own PC until CS was out, and that was the game that really sucked me in.

C

Ch3tan

We used to have q3demo and utdemo installed in all the computing labs at uni. Everyone sat there fragging all day :)

E

ECA

Wheeee.

Well theres a difference between multiplayer gaming and online gaming, I started MP on Doom 1 over a serial cable with my dad ^_^.

Online Gaming I got my local dodgy bloke to slap a few games on cd for me and he put Tribes on and I was hooked.

M

mank

Originally posted by ECA
Well theres a difference between multiplayer gaming and online gaming,

I said online gaming for a reason :)

I'd list my Q2 clans but I've been in so many, the main ones for DM were 3, Wrath, Rage. RA2 was SQS, o30 (my short lived clan, had a great team until someone poached them all and I was left with about three people), ATR/Qm. Loads of others I was in briefly but got kicked out of that I've forgotten :)

J

Jonaldo

Got a copy of Quake from my boss at work at the time and played it loads online.
Rocket arena and other such mods were fun till I got Quake 2, didn't really play Half-Life as such but played TFC for a while then Counter-Strike till it got filled with cheats.

P

pcg79

TFC ! back in 97/98 ( cant really remember)

i do remember trying cs and thinking 'this is shit' (it was like an early beta or something) but i went to it eventually. now i cant fucking stand either

X

Xtro 2.0

Originally posted by Ch3tan
You want to buy mine? £15 box, manuals everything in good condition, plus my account with sierra.

£15?? Lol, mine's up for £7 :) Its available on budget.

Users who are viewing this thread