What game got you into online gaming?

Y

Yaka

Doom II then Qake/QW for me,

was an awesome site watching me dad explode when the phone bill turned up:rolleyes:

R

rynnor

Surprised no one's mentioned MUDs - my first online games were all MUDs since there wasnt much else in those days - Vampire Wars was a great mud played entirely by slacking Students - we even had the odd meet up with copious pizza, booze et al.

Great community - appalling game!

Bit like DAOC ;)

M

Munkey-

Originally posted by pcg79
TFC ! back in 97/98 ( cant really remember)

i do remember trying cs and thinking 'this is shit' (it was like an early beta or something) but i went to it eventually. now i cant fucking stand either

Heh. remember that time. Originally, i think, CS had less lag so everyone was like "PLAY THIS OMG!". But things eventually sorted themselves out.

TFC rocked so much though. Used to rack kills up in the 100s when i was a sniper :/ Then i moved to CS for a year or two. Then i switched to Day of Defeat (before they screwed up dod_omaha.bsp) and went back to CS before i moved out here.

Had the odd game of sudden strike and Red Alert 2 online but thats about it. Mirieth tried to interest me in tribes 2 but it just diddnt feel the same.

XvT multiplayer rocked big time though :D

B

Big G

As for the phone bills, anyone remember the many 0800 BT accounts that floated around in the days before broadband? (or indeed red hot ant)

A lot of people used the same one, and Aerotus faked one of his phonebills to show it being thousands of pounds because of using this "dodgy" 0800 number. A lot of people fell for it and were shitting out their eyes.

Whatever happened to Aerotus....

G

C

Cdr

First game I played online.....hmmm....I think it was Quake 2.

A

Any

Originally posted by Munkey-

TFC rocked so much though. Used to rack kills up in the 100s when i was a sniper :/

I loved TFC with all my heart. Sometimes when i was bored i would play as a HWG on a public server and score about 50-0. How the other team complained, how i laughed :)

I dont think im going to bother with Tribes, thanks, ive had a look and i think ill get Planetside instead.

L

leggy

Originally posted by rynnor

Great community - appalling game!

Bit like DAOC ;)

If great = shit then yes

For me it was counter strike. The community can be bad but the game's pickupableness (my word) just appealed to me (being a lazy twat).

Y

Yoni

JBP's addiction to Elite Force / Quake 3 got me hooked on our ickle p2 350. It was a case of pure damage limitation :p. We are both competitive and I had to be able to beat him.

Unfortunately I am the addicted gamer these days (not JBP) playing only FPS: bf / ps / ef / ef2 / jk:ja (although that is more of a First Person lets spank each other with sticks kinda game). The action in MMORPG is just tooo slow for meh.

F

flownalk

Q2CTF.... played it for more than 2 years... since then I bounched around other games, nothing lasted as long tho

L

lovedaddy

Doom/Descent - playing under dos with Kali faking IPX networking over your modem. Mmmm, 14.4.

M

Munkey-

Originally posted by Jupitus
Legend of Mir after catching their tv show on digital, but only on 56k at the time.

Jesus christ that program sucked :/ Still, we all have to start somewhere

J

Jupitus

Aye it did, but it opened the door to massive multi player whatever whatever....

:)

M

mr.Blacky

Started with EF1, one of the best FPS of that time still played it until 3 weeks ago, to many annoying people have joined up. Tried Q3 and Red Faction but they couldnt hold my attention then a little dabble with JK2 but that game really pissed me off.
Now I am happy playing ET :D

M

mank

Re: Re: What game got you into online gaming?

Originally posted by Sar
Ditto.

Q2 with a clan called XTC.

Didn't know you were in XTC! They're still about in an ra2 capacity, I think Orion's in charge now.

cor blimey, what name did you use back then?

M

mank

Originally posted by Big G
As for the phone bills, anyone remember the many 0800 BT accounts that floated around in the days before broadband? (or indeed red hot ant)

haha yes. I remember someone in a clan I was in using sub7 to get someones account details and nearly all of us used it for months :)

I also remember one Christmas when BT said "'ere, for the next week you can have 0800 24/7 for nowt" and everyone was really excited. heh.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Big G
(or indeed red hot ant)
I was a Red Hot Ant subscriber :D I abused it and played Ultima Online for gawd knows how many hours one summer and then one day they just stopped. But then it was pretty obvious they must've losing so much money with the service they tried to provide.

S

SilverSides

AirAttack on Wireplay was my first online/mulitplayer game and there's still 2 servers in the world running AA, both of which i frequent.....ish

S

Swift^

UT.

Then Q3. That's it. No other online games have been worth playing for any extended period of time, they're all still too flawed.

S

]SK[

Quake was the first game I played. Shame I used the page up and page down keys to look around. Always wondered how people reacted so quickly.

S

Swift^

Go away and touch up a man's face or something, you great big make up artist!

You should form a company with Summo, you'd do very well in the world of gay hair and make up. Hey, perhaps you could even get into films ;]

S

Sar

NEIN! You know what happened the last time.

(PS: How is the baby?)

:D

S

Swift^

Doing well considering you won't pay child support.

Skank.

S

]SK[

Originally posted by Swift^
Hehe

'what mouselook mummy?'

Oh the days! :D

+mlook

What happened to your old account anyway, did you have a fit like the others here and delete your account?

Users who are viewing this thread