Top 10 ways to die [in a video game]

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
i woulda thought dying to a paladin on daoc in a 1 v 1 would be high up there...

Dukat

Resident Freddy
well that was shit :/

Was thinking the same :( good idea, poor execution.

Where's the infamous CSS Knife?

What about being pressurised in the original UT on DM_Pressure?

What about being zapped by an obelisk of light/tesla coil on C&C?

Crushed by a tank? WHERE WAS THE TANK CRUSH!

Blowing yourself up with your own grenade? I mean that should've been on there for sure!!

Being remote-mined on goldeneye64? come to think of it, being slapped by someone on goldeneye64!!

And then theres the daddy, the one that just makes you want to ctrl+alt+del every time; being run over by a low-flying plane on BF2 :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And even on Halo, what, teabagging isn't even a deathway, it's a post-death "14 y/o" emote.

Now if you want a cruel way to die in Halo, a sticky grenade to the nuts!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
what a noob, he pronounced pwnage like "poh-nage", instead of "ownage" :/

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
i've been wondering about the exact pronouning of pwnage. who exactly decided it was Own-age and not Pwn-age?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Pfft, where was Metal Gear Solid? :(

Invisibility suit + c4 + random guard = hours of explosive fun! :(

Not to mention most of the ways to die in Raesident Evil 4 :(

Dukat

Resident Freddy
i've been wondering about the exact pronouning of pwnage. who exactly decided it was Own-age and not Pwn-age?

Its because the word "pwn" is a leetorized version of "own". When words are leetorized you tend to use the original pronounciation. For example, l33t is the leetorized version of "leet", you dont pronounce "l33t" "ell-three-three-tee" do you? It retains its original "lee-t" pronounciation. So you still pronounce "pwn" as "own", not 'pown' or whatever.

This is the more commonly accepted school of thought anyway - there are others about who agree/disagree. However, in my experience the people who pronounce the 'P' in 'pwn' are usually noobs, or newbs who have been misguided by noobs.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
well l33t is an alternation in the letter structure and not the word itself. pwn and l33t isnt in the same league

like noob. noob came from newb which came from newbie. you say noob, no? same for alot of ethnic slurs. they come from a word and the original spelling is altered and thereby pronounced as the new spelling

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The thread is so geeky, its moved back in with its parents (aged 39), started growing buck teeth, naming itself Colin, wearing a tie, and has a number of coloured pens in its shirt pocket.

star-wars-geek.jpg

Dukat

Resident Freddy
well l33t is an alternation in the letter structure and not the word itself. pwn and l33t isnt in the same league

Maybe 'l33t' was a bad example, surely you can see what I was trying to say though?

"r4z0r" is perhaps a better example. The 4 in place of an "A", the 0 in place of an "O". You still pronounce it as you'd pronounce "Razor", the original word.

Some words, like 'l33t' as you mentioned, are different in that they actually modifiy the original word (elite). In these cases different pronounciations are more down to personal preference, more so than words like "pwned", because as I said before, the word "pwned" is just a letter change, if the structure of the word had been drastically changed then yes, new pronounciations are formed through popular preference/use.

What I'm trying to say is that if the word stays more of less the same, but with letters exchanged for similar looking characters (leetorized), then the pronounciation stays the same.

like noob. noob came from newb which came from newbie. you say noob, no?

No.

This is a really common misconception. Noob and newb are/were different. A n00b is worse than a newb because a noob describes someone who is crap and will always be crap - hence the term "you can train a noob, but he'll just be a trained noob". Where as "newbs" are people who are just new.

Noobs and newbs are different, or atleast they were, before the unwashed masses gained access to the internet and started to blur the rules. At some point someone has heard someone use the word "n00b" and thought it sounded similar to "newb" and just assumed they were the same, they started to use it as such and so the misconception began.

This article sums it up better than I can:

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task and are beginners at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. Noobs, on the other hand, know little and have no will/intention to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own

There was a time when there was a very distinct difference between "noob" and "newb", the words had completely different original meanings. However, this distinction has since become more overlooked and less well known as more and more "n00bs" started getting access to the internet :)

tris-

you must be a total fuckin n00b if you think pwn is pronounced the same as own.

tris-

oops i mean "you must be a total fuckin n00b if you think pwn is pronounced like "poh-n" and not own".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
oops i mean

Newb! :D

By the way, i believe newbie/newby/nuubie(in rare cases) means the new player, where as noob/newb<--especially point here), is the dumba** term of epeen waving.

But there's some controversy about that too.

I always found that newb/noob sounds harsher then newbie, newby, etc.

Fast, snap end to word: Insult.
Soft ending: Just a fact.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I remember going to the local burger bar where they had a Mortal Combat machine,
man did we ever spend hours infront of it, and my fav cha. was always sub-zero hehe,

as for the rest of the top 10 they seem abit well /shrug, I'd say the remaing MC death ways beat all of the remaining 9 hands down.

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
battletoads was immense on the nes

but ye theres alot of great things missing, invisi snake + c4s and sneak killing on goldeneye

nothing "epic" about most of them games deaths

they didnt even use mk2's animalities which were just >>> mk1

wheres the smash bros love?

primal fear, that had lol ways to kill people- could do a fart as one of the apes that engulfed half the screen

couldnt the panda do a ohko fart on tekken2?

and why the what the was bushido blade not on there? so many ways to obliterate someone on that classic- personal fave being a swifty stab to the knees followed by a hawk like circling of opponent and a bruce-lee-with-big-sword jump to the face kinda thing

'cubes zelda?why include that? it just wasnt a very good game :(

just outta interest, the "finishers" on KI- could anyone actually do them?:s

o and noob is an insult, first remember it being used in beta CS, did online games exist before that?(was it used on original diablo?)

newb is just short for newbie ie new to a game, same train of thought but ones different

why your discussing pwned vs owned i wonder, id feel ashamed if i used terminology like that, if you "own" someone do it in style and shout "haha daddied!"

Dukat

Resident Freddy
o and noob is an insult, first remember it being used in beta CS, did online games exist before that?(was it used on original diablo?)

lol, if you include MUDs then online games existed 20 years before CS ever showed up.

Doom was the first online FPS I can remember, came out around 1994 (somewhere mid 1990's). A few years after that Quake and Diablo came out and online games really started to take off.

I remember hearing the word 'noob' first on mplayer.com around 1997ish, before it got taken over by gamespy and turned into gamespy arcade, but it was almost certainly used far earlier than that.

The first public CS beta was 1999/2000.

why your discussing pwned vs owned i wonder, id feel ashamed if i used terminology like that, if you "own" someone do it in style and shout "haha daddied!"

In the crowd I mix with, the term 'owned' is pretty much a household phrase. I dont think theres a reason to be ashamed of using a slang word, just like in highschool we used alot of different words, its all down to the company you keep and the lifestyle you lead.

I agree though, having a full on argument about two slang words would be a bit strange, but to be fair, someone asked a question and I answered it, if that makes me a 'geek' or a 'nerd' in some peoples eyes, so be it :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
you must be a total fuckin n00b if you think pwn is pronounced the same as own.

I agree.

Had this argument a few times on here and in IRL.

Own: Own
Pwn: Pawn
Pwnd: Pawned

imo

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I agree.

Had this argument a few times on here and in IRL.

Own: Own
Pwn: Pawn
Pwnd: Pawned

imo

You agree with a misquote, as tris- had the decency of correcting his mistake.

pwn=own
own=own
pwned=owned

Anything else is minus 14 y/o :D

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Pwn can't be OWN.#

P and O are different pronounciations! :(

I think we should just bump the old topic where we all argued this.. I'll say "pwned" (pawned) when ever I feel! - Though I usually saw "owned" if they have been.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Pwn can't be OWN.#

P and O are different pronounciations! :(

I think we should just bump the old topic where we all argued this.. I'll say "pwned" (pawned) when ever I feel! - Though I usually saw "owned" if they have been.

Pwn originally came around though due to fast paced games having people trying to say "Owned" and hitiing the "P" instead of "O" therefore becoming "Pwned". Just seemed to spiral from there until you reached todays usage.
But then, people try to give different reasons behind it coming into effect so i shut up now :) But due to above Pwn/Pwned = Own/Owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom