New lotm dungeon

Dre@d

Fledgling Freddie
I've been trolling a bit vnboards and i saw lots of posts criying for the :banshee cone powa ^^ , so hibs get ready to get easy rps there :) u can hit ppl thru walls/levels as far as i understood :p

Gamah

Banned
Yeah they rule there, reactivatig my bainshee the day it comes out lol :D

Nate

FH is my second home
the grab bag put out yday kinda covers the issue, seems there program bugged out and thats why they have a lot of los issues:

Sanya said:
Q: The LOS problems in the Labyrinth are pretty severe. What are you doing about them?

A: Be aware that this answer is simplified very dramatically for a number of reasons, and that if you think I’m leaving something out, I probably am. I am not terribly technical, and I also get nervous when I am discussing things that could be abused. The combination of the two factors is going to make this answer a little vague. I’m sorry.

The primary problem is a computer program that takes several days to run. We call it the “pathing computer,” but it does a lot more than pathing. It sets up many of the parameters that control what your characters can and can’t see or do in a particular location. It is not the ONLY thing that controls what you can see and do, obviously. We use the pathing computer program to lay a foundation, and build on that foundation with code.

It takes more than five days to run a full pathing program even on a crazy computer. The trick is to start late enough that we’re using the very latest data from testing and feedback, but early enough that the process will finish before we patch.

The program failed halfway through, for the first time in my memory. We couldn’t have started running it any later than we did, but we didn’t have enough time to finish running it a second time before we launched. Attempts to apply the code as a temporary fix, without the pathing computer’s foundation delayed the launch, by several hours and didn't work.

All this incredibly dull behind-the-scenes information has been shared strictly so that you’ll understand when I say we literally could not get the LOS issues addressed this week, and that the first stage of the LOS fixes will be done next Tuesday. Immediately after that is taken care of, we’ll start implementing the code fixes, which we have been working on while we wait.

The current situation is not okay with us, I very much apologize, and we’re doing the best we can.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Dre@d said:
I've been trolling a bit vnboards and i saw lots of posts criying for the :banshee cone powa ^^ , so hibs get ready to get easy rps there :) u can hit ppl thru walls/levels as far as i understood :p
Don't get your hopes up too much this may have a lot to do with that.

edit: bleh beaten by a second or so :(
Danita

Dre@d

Fledgling Freddie
xD so that means the poor banshees wont be able to abuse ever on bridges or keep sieges? :p

Nate

FH is my second home
Dre@d said:
xD so that means the poor banshees wont be able to abuse ever on bridges or keep sieges? :p

well the program could break every time for the next 5months until it's released in euro :O then doom!!!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Rofl a pathing algorithm that takes 5 days to run, someone needs a book on code optimisation.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Rofl a pathing algorithm that takes 5 days to run, someone needs a book on code optimisation.

How about every fucking coder out there? Especially Microsoft. If they optimised code we could run vista on a 400mhz with the same experience as someone who runs it om 4ghz.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Congax said:

They liked my results, I didnt like them tbh. Rule in hell rather than serve in heaven thing as I see it. I would rather work for a small software house where I have a good input into my game and lots of responsiblity and can go have a beer with the man in charge.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Guess you dont believe me eh. Well if youve done it yourself, youll know this is what an interview invite sounds like...

Hello XXX!!

My name is XXXX and I am a recruiter at Microsoft. I recently received your CV from a fellow recruiter who attended the London Gaming Career Fair. I would like to consider you for technical positions at Microsoft in our MS Games group

etc..

Then theres an awful lot of really bad HTML in horrible colours and fonts and sizes. Yuk.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Guess you dont believe me eh. Well if youve done it yourself, youll know this is what an interview invite sounds like...

I wasn't even referring to you, but okay. And in all fairness, everyone can type some text that makes it look as if he's been invited for something something by someone someone.

Not that I don't believe you, I just don't care.

:)

Gamah

Banned
Hello XXX!!

My name is XXXX and I am a recruiter at Microsoft. I recently received your CV from a fellow recruiter who attended E3 recently in Los Angeles with the X-Box 360 development team. I would like to consider you for technical positions at Microsoft in our MS Games group, please could you contact me at your earliest convenience.

..ohh this game is fun.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Hello XXX!!

My name is XXXX and I am a recruiter at Microsoft. I recently received your CV from a fellow recruiter who attended E3 recently in Los Angeles with the X-Box 360 development team. I would like to consider you for technical positions at Microsoft in our MS Games group, please could you contact me at your earliest convenience.

..ohh this game is fun.

Exactly my point ;)

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Kinag said:
Oh, I doubt you'd do any better..

atos said:
How about every fucking coder out there? Especially Microsoft. If they optimised code we could run vista on a 400mhz with the same experience as someone who runs it om 4ghz.

Yea atos is right, I know I too complain ALOT about small easy to fix code issues, but in all honesty, I do understand that its always a matter of time/cost vs priority.

Ofc the code team could probably do better job with the code, especially if they could code it all new and refined today. (Adding code on others old code etc, is a biatch, often you have no idea how many subfunctions are beeing affected by one small change. As adversed to creating vs. 1, 2, 3 of non MMORPG)
But if they did that, we would probably be paying about 10 times the sub cost as we have now, and in two years or so we would be complaining about other issues etc again...

All in all, DAoC is a show of skill in programming and planning. The end result is awesome, and one of the absolutly best games in the world for the price we are paying.

But dammit, I still reserve the right to complain as much as I want...you hear that Mythic and GoA?:)

/Charmangle

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Well im afraid you just make yourself look foolish, the people round here that know me know I dont lie, and know what I do for a living, if you dont thats your loss, my point has been made.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:
All in all, DAoC is a show of skill in programming and planning. The end result is awesome, and one of the absolutly best games in the world for the price we are paying.

But dammit, I still reserve the right to complain as much as I want...you hear that Mythic and GoA?:)

/Charmangle

Agreed, for all its faults DAOC is a very robust piece of code, certainly kept me amused longer than any other game ever. I just find it funney that that algortihm takes 5 days :)

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
We're all the same - we're all playing a game we like, and we all come here because we have a common interest.

It doesn't matter if you're the president of the USA, or pick garbage for a career. I honestly don't think anyone here gives a flying hoot what you do outside of the game. :)

--

That being said:

Hmm, will you be able to enter that new LoTM rvr place with another client then LOtM client?

There is no LotM client. LotM is just like Darkness Rising more of a 'Big Patch' than an expansion. You can enter the dungeon if you have your account flagged that way. (By activating the expansion)

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Hi XXX!!! I'm fucking Hugh Hefner. I want you to fuck my bunnies, mkay?
Contact me on XXX-XXXX (Yes, all X's, thats my real number)

Hugh "Motherfucking" Hefner.

Yeah, I got this letter this morning myself. Its true, please believe me.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
If people devoted time to optimise code I for one wouldnt have to change computer every three years.

Ture, it would take longer. But knowing how and where to optimise stuff is something that was lost several years before we went into a new milennia.

However. The largest reason not to optimise code would be the hardware giants. If they develop new faster stuff which none buys they will lose money.

Persoanlly the best thing that could happen now is if Moores law went invalid. That would force a change.

Nate

FH is my second home
Hello Nate!!

My name is Bill and I am the owner of Microsoft. I recently received your CV from a recruiter who attended the London Gaming Pwnreer Fair. I would like to consider you for technical positions at Microsoft in our MS Games group.

Through your extensive knowledge in pwning noobs on daoc I would like to offer you full-time employment for the remaining years of your life, we will pay you £3,000,000/hour. The job entitles playing all the games we will release, if you don't like the genre/title we will just ditch it and move on to another game. We also offer a few bitches for if you ever get bored of playing the games + a team of evil flying monkeys.

Thank you for your time

Bill Gates

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Boni said:
Well im afraid you just make yourself look foolish, the people round here that know me know I dont lie, and know what I do for a living, if you dont thats your loss, my point has been made.

Well, even if your job is to do such kind of stuff, you've never seen the program Mythic runs, thus you can't really judge if it's good or bad. Also the question is what kind of computer they run it on. Sure, they could kill one cluster and run the program on it, but I think it's more realistic to suppose that they're not using the best available thing cause they don't it need so often.

You got no idea how many things it checks, so I don't really trust your opinion on that =)

Also the "Vista would run on 400Mhz" argument is kinda wrong, cause it also depends on the CPU u're compiling a program for. If you compile windows, you have to make sure it runs on a wide array of CPU's, using partially different techniques. That's why McOS, Solaris and everything you get a sourcecode for runs much faster ofc, cause you can compile it as you need it. Then again, I still think Vista is pretty hard on resources. I'm not quite sure who does the programming on it, but I know that when NT was planned, Microsoft employed a couple of assembler experts for the core of Windows to make it much faster (the console was lagging, lol). Doesn't mean I think Windows is good, it's just a monster project with lots of money behind so you can't really expect Microsoft to release anything about it. Unix (and co.) systems developped through their open-license features and cause they follow a completely different idea regarding many architecture things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom