New lotm dungeon

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
Well, even if your job is to do such kind of stuff, you've never seen the program Mythic runs, thus you can't really judge if it's good or bad. Also the question is what kind of computer they run it on. Sure, they could kill one cluster and run the program on it, but I think it's more realistic to suppose that they're not using the best available thing cause they don't it need so often.

You got no idea how many things it checks, so I don't really trust your opinion on that =)

Indeed I havent seen the code, but I have a general knowledge of the type of algorithms in place and the speed of modern PCs (the post did say he was using a decent machine and that didnt help) and enough confidence in my own abilites to feel that its a good bet. One of my specialities is code optimisation and im often required to go visit software houses on the continent to help them speedup their code.

Personally I know as was stated by a previous poster that the demands of modern software development leave little time for polishing everythign and if a piece of code gets by and does its job, even if it takes 5 days, theres often little way to persuade management to devote more resources to it. But I would find it a bit impracticle to have a stage like this, as it adds a 5 day period to the build process which in turn can cause problems and chained delays as has indeed happened here.

I guess no one else finds any amusement from a 5 day algorithm thats presumably just doing some ray tracing and A* over whats a fairly low detail static map.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
I honestly don't think anyone here gives a flying hoot what you do outside of the game. :)

I guess most dont, nor do I really care if people do. But I feel its my right to wave my stick back at those people who say that im not in a position to have an oppinion on something I do for a living.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
Also the "Vista would run on 400Mhz" argument is kinda wrong, cause it also depends on the CPU u're compiling a program for. If you compile windows, you have to make sure it runs on a wide array of CPU's, using partially different techniques. That's why McOS, Solaris and everything you get a sourcecode for runs much faster ofc, cause you can compile it as you need it. Then again, I still think Vista is pretty hard on resources. I'm not quite sure who does the programming on it, but I know that when NT was planned, Microsoft employed a couple of assembler experts for the core of Windows to make it much faster (the console was lagging, lol). Doesn't mean I think Windows is good, it's just a monster project with lots of money behind so you can't really expect Microsoft to release anything about it. Unix (and co.) systems developped through their open-license features and cause they follow a completely different idea regarding many architecture things.

So? During Windows installation would there be a problem specifying CPU type during the install? Simply put, Microsoft are lazy.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I am sure certain coders are lazy.

But the more complex the code (Mythic pathing routine), the less desire there is to change it. I am sure they could speed it up, but there is an inherent risk of re introducing a bug into it.

So .... Its slow, but works, versus its not so slow and it works most of the time. I am sure you could compare the produced files for differences (ala diff.). But to be honest I would rather they worked on the game.

There is a long list of things they could be doing ...

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
Well your right about that dungeon, my US guild group ( hibs ) did yesterday 500k in one night.. :p

Reika

Fledgling Freddie
Five years on and this pathing computer still cannot work out how to make a necro pet cross a straight bridge lol.

Nate

FH is my second home
wittor said:
Well your right about that dungeon, my US guild group ( hibs ) did yesterday 500k in one night.. :p
by los abusing? :/ really looks quite stupid how it is atm in lotm, i guess theres a lot of drama going on hyping it all up on the forums..but from what i've read if you los abuse nothing happens..so bainshees are all behind walls cwning everything

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Reika said:
Five years on and this pathing computer still cannot work out how to make a necro pet cross a straight bridge lol.

Haha be glad ... i was stalking you on shade yesterday afternoon ... but because of what you stated i just killed afew tanks and that annoying Avalonian instead :m00:

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Boni said:
I think you know not who you talk to Sir.

I like the way you make it sound as if you're some kind of millionaire who is the owner of some huge billion dollar corporation.

:p

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Hi Huntingtons!
My name is XXX and im from the government and we would to remind you that you're a lowlife society freeloader and we hate you.

:<

Nate

FH is my second home
Huntingtons said:
Hi Huntingtons!
My name is XXX and im from the government and we would to remind you that you're a lowlife society freeloader and we hate you.

:<
omg that was Tony Blair i'm sure of it he always rights XXX if he wants to be anonymous, he is such a nasty guy to you lowlifes

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Nate said:
omg that was Tony Blair i'm sure of it he always rights XXX if he wants to be anonymous, he is such a nasty guy to you lowlifes

no when he writes to me he calls himself tonyboy16

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
LotM is going to be pretty much a disaster until they get the LOS fixed.

I hope we'll be getting LotM + 1.87 which should fix most of the blatant cheating.

Alme

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Hmm, will you be able to enter that new LoTM rvr place with another client then LOtM client?

no, and the client lags like fuck, not to mention how much it lags down in the lab xD U cant even earn cl xp from cl5-10 unless u run the lotm client for some smart reason.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Tesla Monkor said:
We're all the same - we're all playing a game we like, and we all come here because we have a common interest.

It doesn't matter if you're the president of the USA, or pick garbage for a career. I honestly don't think anyone here gives a flying hoot what you do outside of the game. :)

--

That being said:

There is no LotM client. LotM is just like Darkness Rising more of a 'Big Patch' than an expansion. You can enter the dungeon if you have your account flagged that way. (By activating the expansion)
You had to log into the DR client in order to visit the king tho, and it'd suck if you'd have to log into some new client just to visit some dungeon x<
atos said:
Persoanlly the best thing that could happen now is if Moores law went invalid. That would force a change.
What law?

And speaking of crap coding, the NWN2 engine sucks too, wanky fps :<

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Roflmao at the pathing computer...

I have some old books about 3D-programming, all the basics you need to know, I'll send them to Mythic and mark the parts about clipping, collision dedection and pathing red.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Another piece of shit from Mythic tbh, i couldn't give a fuck if their pathing program runs for 20 days tbh (still wonder y they didn't run it on Pendragon and be it altho), it's broken atm, close the damn dungeon and reopen it when it's fixed -.-

DeadOnArrival

Loyal Freddie
Boni said:
I guess most dont, nor do I really care if people do. But I feel its my right to wave my stick back at those people who say that im not in a position to have an oppinion on something I do for a living.

Fair Comment

Frozodo

Fledgling Freddie
bainshee might be able to nook through the walls / lvls over here however we ran with 3 Bonedancers kinda sorted them out :D 3FG's vs 1FG with 3 Bonedancer thanks for arps! :D

Lotm with double RP's / Money is fun but it aint bound to be lasting forever. People are whinign like mad so i guess it is matter of time before mytic remove it.

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
They liked my results, I didnt like them tbh. Rule in hell rather than serve in heaven thing as I see it. I would rather work for a small software house where I have a good input into my game and lots of responsiblity and can go have a beer with the man in charge.

microsoft is one of the best companies i've ever worked for. so relaxed people are made to feel wanted and bosses do go for a drink with their staff . especially in the xbox dpt

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
Hm so this is going to be the daoc version of "the secret cowlevel", where banshees can farm all the rp-cows?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
atos said:
How about every fucking coder out there? Especially Microsoft. If they optimised code we could run vista on a 400mhz with the same experience as someone who runs it om 4ghz.

If they made it simple to run no one would buy new pc parts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom