How to spend a life - your life?

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
What would you really want to do in this life if you had the chance to 'do it all again'? Suppose I am aiming this at myself really but maybe not. After cycling to a seaside town close to where I live today and passing through an underground walkway where a guitarist was playing (extremely good it seemed to me) I wandered why I am always driven to achieve something. I mean most are driven in some way; but remove that strange pressure where I and you could actually strive to be good at something and what would you choose?

Just seemed awfully attractive to be able to sit down in a walkway and play an instrument lovingly and get paid to do so too. I mean what the hell is life all about?

Have to forgive me a little cos a few drinks on a Saturday evening (not enough yet) starts the ball rolling on these melancholy thoughts.

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
The meaning of life is trying to achieve something imo. If being able to play an instrument nicely sounds like a nice idea go out and do it. It's not like it's to late :fluffle:

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
meaning of life is what ever you want it to be. depends on how you wanna think about it. to me, life is just another part of something bigger. life is also only what we make it.

im the kinda laid back dude, take it as it comes and shit happens. the way i see it is im here, its happening and i could just as easily not be here so there is no point stressing.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I've got no goals or ambitions at all and I lack 'drive' completely. Whether this has anything to do with the fact I've struggled with depression, I don't know, but I think it's much more likely that not everybody has desire and the want to achieve. I've never been amibitious tbh.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If I could do things again, I'd change nothing, for its the mistakes I've made that have taught me the most.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Very profound Cyfr ... though I'm guessing you mis-spelled. :mad:

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Life?

Nice to read people's opinions on this. Must admit though that 'life' is on my mind a great deal at the moment and has been for quite a while. Led an odd life and have a very active analytical mind. My 'mind', though my greatest friend, is also my greatest enemy in a way. Bugger it am beginning to think that the guy playing the guitar in some underground walk way has as much to tell you and me about life as anyone so why not become such a person?

When you get to a certain age will your endeavours mean anything or will you just want a peaceful existence and quiet conversation. Infact you could draw a similarity with creatures cos they 'progess' the same way.

I mean unless you really excel in something what can you leave to others as a memorable memory - hell in the tiny amount of time we exist on this planet can we really leave anything of note? If that is the case then what is the point in doing anything? Nah there is a point and that is something I have yet to pinpoint and it is to do with your relationship with people surely. To leave this life having made a few people think positively about themselves or something or to alter their thoughts on something or other tis maybe enough.

What goes through a person's mind as they are about to leave this life? The last dieing moment's I wonder? Eh, I not about to commit hari-kari but just interested is all.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
I think the main driving force for most people is simple survival - of the self and the species. Peoples environment when growing up probably determines what "survival" looks like for themselves, but like most animals a percentage of us are pre-determined to try and dominate (alpha-shit) - which fits in nicely with the theory of survival of the fittest. Some people are more aggressive and/or ruthless in their strive to succeed in whatever they think they need to survive(?!?).

Take termites. Individually, they don't accomplish much - but together they can do great things. We're just the same imho. Together we can do huge things, and I think a lot of people recognise this and it drives them to participate - to be part of something bigger than they could achieve on their own. For the individual it's a matter of chipping-in to the big picture, and, getting laid to advance the species.

Sure, the human race might only amount to a collection of strange artifacts for some future civilisation (of ants) to muse over - better than nothing, eh? At least we tried! Absolutely no harm in winding your time playing a guitar in an underpass! - as long as you're happy with that!

I often ask myself: "On my death-bed, will I regret doing/not doing X, Y, or, Z?". and I must say that me, personally, I wouldn't want to be on my death-bed regretting that I had never played a guitar in an underpass - but I'd also regret only ever playing a guitar in an underpass! : /

As far as achievements go, just remember, we're all standing on the shoulders of our ancestors (environmentally & genetically) - so don't get bummed out that Prof Plum has just got his second Nobel prize and you didn't even make it to uni. We can't all be leaders! We need some people to dig roads! (joke) Besides Prof Plum might be on his death-bed regretting that he never learned the guitar!

It's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done. - (unless it involves causing others a misfortune)

:mad:

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Meaning of life is to live.

Cyfr

Banned
Mazling said:
Very profound Cyfr ... though I'm guessing you mis-spelled. :mad:

I suck :( How should it be spelled? :D

Edit: My excuse was I was drugged up on Beechams powder capsuals and a large/HUGE coke, combind with a crap Collateral film :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The meaning of life is to reproduce and ensure the survival of the human race till it reaches its ultimate goal of destroying this planet and everything else we can get our grubby hands on.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Thugs said:
When you get to a certain age will your endeavours mean anything or will you just want a peaceful existence and quiet conversation. Infact you could draw a similarity with creatures cos they 'progess' the same way.

I mean unless you really excel in something what can you leave to others as a memorable memory - hell in the tiny amount of time we exist on this planet can we really leave anything of note? If that is the case then what is the point in doing anything? Nah there is a point and that is something I have yet to pinpoint and it is to do with your relationship with people surely. To leave this life having made a few people think positively about themselves or something or to alter their thoughts on something or other tis maybe enough.
QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you are having a mid life crisis (possibly a little early?). The "whats it all for" question is something everyone poses at some point. Personally as I get older I'm inextricably aware of my own mortality. Not being a Godite I believe that nothing we say, do, build or destroy ultimately matters on the Universal scale, however on our own (poxy) human scale, the people we meet, interact with, produce, nurture, educate, laugh/cry with do count. Im happy with a "lifes a ride" mentality and as one paying customer I want to continue on this rollercoaster. I hope my children have such a good time too and my achievement here is that they go out into the world and lead interesting and rewarding lives. What else is there.

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
I would say for most animals, living out in the wild, survival is the main goal of life, but I'd say humans have gone slightly past that and now have to make themselves new goals in place of this.

If you die half way through doing something, that achievement's been taken away from you. Most people would be slightly pissed at this :p

If you've achieved it already, you couldn't really give a damn.

If you've never actually set out to achieve this, then it's just a thought, and who really gives that much of a damn?

My point is, you shouldn't really lay in your death bed cursing yourself for not doing something you just thought about doing :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
atm I'm not entirely sure what the point is. I'm just living it. A short term goal is to use my mountainbike more. that's about it atm.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

Except perhaps murder, incest, and using Windows ME.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Why would you want to do it all again?
Some of the best things in life are the mistakes we make...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont think there is any real meaning to life.

Just live your life in a way that makes you happy.(without of course doing things like killing people!!)

If you're happy with what you're doing, accomplished etc then what more do you need to do? Just because you have not climbed everest or cured cancer doesn't mean anything...

Just have fun. Thats what life is about. Just enjoy it.

TdC said:
A short term goal is to use my mountainbike more. that's about it atm.

I'm trying to do that too but lately not had a lot of success at that goal! :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Your life is your own, do with it as you see fit. But don't tell other people how to live theirs.

Bodhi

Cyfr said:
I suck :( How should it be spelled? :D

Edit: My excuse was I was drugged up on Beechams powder capsuals and a large/HUGE coke, combind with a crap Collateral film :D

Drugged up on Beechams powder??????? You crazy mofo you.

Bodhi

One line triple posting for the win.

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Guitar

Sent away forra guitar now. An electric acoustic one. Can't see me ending up in some subway but am gonna try and play the damn thing. I fancy playing some blues.

If you can't beat em join em.

Oh dear. Me mate now is on about 'metal detecting'? Mmm? Hey could be good fun that and a good way to learn about history. Find some dosh too maybe.

Time to lay aside all these fanciful ideas and actually live me thinks.

Thanks for the thought provoking replies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom