Rant UK government paying you to kill your dog

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I fully understand that the XL Bully is a very difficult breed to manage however this is not the dogs fault. I understand restrictions on having an breeding, abandoning, selling and giving them away and having a register for them. I even understand them having to be muzzled in public (as their owner obviously did not know what they were getting themselves in to or if they did are lazy), however the final part about having your dog euthanised and being compensated in return turns my stomach :(

1698840722813.png

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I kind of find it distasteful myself @Yoni. However, you have to think of the who when it comes to dog attacks.

I've got no evidence to back up what I'm going to write, so it's assumptions and gut feel. But these XL Bully type-dogs - they're largely not owned by conscientious owners (in fact, you could easily make a case for most dogs in the UK not being owned by very good owners - and dog ownership positively leaped during covid, I think from like 9m dogs to 13m). There's a stigma that they tend to be owned by poverty-stricken arseholes - the "hard man" type dogs. And I've certainly come across plenty of that.

Actually, scratch my lack of evidence bit. Google tells me that in the UK admission to hospital for dog bites is three times higher in the most deprived areas as compared with the least deprived areas.

So, a bit of evidence to back up my prejudice. And if removing these dogs from circulation is the correct solution and the blocker for some people is the cost of euthanasia then it makes sense to subsidise that.

But really, nobody's going to take that up. It's unlikely that the neds will muzzle their XL bullies, never mind euthanise them. So I expect the way this breed thing will be fixed (even though they've not yet defined what an XL bully actually is) is by us not allowing people to breed them, and existing dogs dying out naturally.

Part of me would like to see completion of mandatory dog training classes for people who own dogs that are bigger than rats. I like dogs, but I find that in general it's the owners that are the problem and they would do well to get some training to understand their responsibilities and how to actually control their animals. But then I've not really thought it through very much.

But yeah. It's distasteful. However, if you're being told you need to comply with all those rules or you're committing a criminal offence, and you decide to kill your own dog instead - then we should make it easy for people who'd make that choice. Because if you're the sort of person who'd rather kill their dog than put it on a lead and muzzle it, then you're probably the sort of cunt who's dog would bite someone anyway. So best get rid.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Owned by chavs. It should have been banned the moment children started getting mauled by them, its been going on for years. Chavs think its funny having an aggressive dog, which they raise terribly then strut around town thinking they're rock hard because they have an American Bulldog. They probably tease it behind closed doors with teddys and what not then are surprised when it attacks small dogs and kids.

Good riddance to them, kids and other dogs are safer without them on the streets.

Yoni

Not the dogs fault and why should one receive comp for doing a bad job?

If the dog is unable to be retrained there is sadly no option for the dog BUT the owners should be banned from owning any animal ever again and they should buy subject to higher taxation on earnings for a year to cover the costs of the termination.

Yoni

Owned by chavs. It should have been banned the moment children started getting mauled by them, its been going on for years. Chavs think its funny having an aggressive dog, which they raise terribly then strut around town thinking they're rock hard because they have an American Bulldog. They probably tease it behind closed doors with teddys and what not then are surprised when it attacks small dogs and kids.

Good riddance to them, kids and other dogs are safer without them on the streets.
I am not disputing how the dog is reared however “good riddance to them” Let’s fine and imprison the owners instead eh - the chavs will just find a different breed like a rottie ( most loving dog) - guess it’s good riddance to them as well and any other dogs the chavs choose…. Mandatory training is a good idea however who will check on the effectiveness of the training a year or so down the line …

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I am not disputing how the dog is reared however “good riddance to them” Let’s fine and imprison the owners instead eh - the chavs will just find a different breed like a rottie ( most loving dog) - guess it’s good riddance to them as well and any other dogs the chavs choose…. Mandatory training is a good idea however who will check on the effectiveness of the training a year or so down the line …

They've tried fining and prison for the owners, didn't work and hasn't worked. They've tried it for years, ultimately leading to a ban.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Loads of people are inconsiderate and irresponsible dog owners, the problem is some dogs are more dangerous than others.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Funny how the wealthy can ride roughshod over people's land and rights, killing wildlife with impunity, driving up moors to blow grouse out of the sky. All for "tradition" and nothing done to stop it - even the police support them. But aggressive dogs owned generally by the poor? Instant legislation.

I say we gather all the XL Bullies up and set them off, chasing hunters.

Yoni

Loads of people are inconsiderate and irresponsible dog owners, the problem is some dogs are more dangerous than others.
They are dangerous due to training… this is a people problem. If there is no option but to euthanise a dog there should be no compensation and a ban from owning a dog again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They are dangerous due to training… this is a people problem.
Disagree here @Yoni. Training can take you very far indeed, but some dogs have an inherent genetic increased propensity for violence.

We'd all love to live in a world where every dog owner was 100% perfect in their responsibility. But we don't and you can't force that to be the case. So it's a reasonable response to ban certain breeds.

If there is no option but to euthanise a dog there should be no compensation and a ban from owning a dog again.
Whilst I agree on this, it's inherently post-attack stuff. If a dog attacks someone it should be put down immediately. End of discussion. And that's at the owner's expense (and potential criminal sanction).

But this is about an identified type of dog attacking people - and what are we going to do about it before they potentially attack people.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Taken from American Bulldog facts/animal facts

"Must be properly socialized as a puppy to avoid aggression as an adult; Willful and stubborn if you don't show strong leadership; Can be gassy and drool a lot."

also

"American bulldogs are very dominant and also very protective. They are very loving towards their own family, their pack if you will, but will show aggression towards strangers due to their protective instinct. These dogs have been bred for centuries to guard and excel at protection work."

Embattle

FH is my second home
They are dangerous due to training… this is a people problem. If there is no option but to euthanise a dog there should be no compensation and a ban from owning a dog again.

That just isn't true, training helps a lot but some dogs are naturally more prone to aggressive behaviour and also some are stronger, heavier, etc through breeding.

Yoni

The aggressiveness can be trained out - sure it takes work which is why it is ALWAYS the owners fault not the dogs. In the case of the bully xl make a register, don’t breed, muzzle and lead in public and euthanise without compensation and with criminal charges and a ban to the owners should their behaviour be deemed dangerous….

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom