Britain's worst accent

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Working with people from all over the UK we often have this conversation in the pub or around the mess table, and it always provides whole minutes of entertainment as arguments flare up and Welshmen start speaking "code" to annoy everyone. So I thought I'd bring the entertainment onto the internet by asking what's your least favourite accent in the UK?

My least favourite is scouse and brummy btw.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I think Id have to add Bristolian to the scouse and brummy. I live here and it just jarrs me to hear the locals.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Scousers and that annoying accent "gangsta's and chavs use. Where they are white but speak like they are black, its very irritating.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Mobius said:
Scousers and that annoying accent "gangsta's and chavs use. Where they are white but speak like they are black, its very irritating.

?

Why isn't it a problem that some "black" people speak like "white" people then?

Anyway, I can't stand the brummy accent, nor the Scot/Stokey accents. :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Mobius said:

Yes , the pretend gangster accent used by kids who pretend they aer teh tuff.

Oh, and anything north of the Thames :)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I detest the Geordie and Middlesborough accents.

I do, however, love the Irish accent.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Sir Frizz said:
?
Why isn't it a problem that some "black" people speak like "white" people then?

I don't know anyone who does that. :p The annoying thing about white kids doing it is that they think it makes them sound intimidating when it just makes them look stupid.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Mobius said:
I don't know anyone who does that. :p The annoying thing about white kids doing it is that they think it makes them sound intimidating when it just makes them look stupid.

Maybe it's just associated with their class, and not the colour of their skin?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I forgot to edit the last post within the 10 minutes so here's an extension...

Wolverhampton, WOLVERHAMPTON, WOLVERHAMPTON!

I seriously didn't understand anyone for a good couple of weeks when I moved up here. Stoke I could deal with (dialect-wise) but Wolves was a real headache to start off with.

Having spent most of my life on the south coast, I haven't really been exposed to the Black Country accents before. The worst I had was Plymouth (which isn't bad - it's funny).

Some examples of Wolverhampton wrongness:

- balloon = ball-oo-un
- phone = pho-un
- five = foive

It's enough to make your ears bleed.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I remember reading somewhere that West Midlands accents were the least liked (this thread seems to bear that out), that Scouse accents were the least trusted, and Yorkshire/Scottish accents the most trusted.

Personally I have no problem with brummie, scouse, geordie or any other regional accent (speaking with a mixed Manc/Hull accent I'm hardly in a position to criticise); the only accent I truly detest is home counties chav.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Cant fucking believe no one has said ned's in glasgow!!! apart from the fact its about as easy to understand as russian, it sounds minging

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I work with a weegie, it started off as a complete language barrier but then I got to understand him and now I have no problems with it - although I have to go to Glasgow for a couple of nights in June, so being surrounding by it might overwhelm me. :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Anyone who's visiting the UK from anywhere around the world(except holland), should remember what robin williams said:

If you want a linquistic adventure, go drinking with a scotsman...'cause you can't f*cking uderstand 'em before.

(Full clip here.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
That accent that twat uses on the new MaccyD advert who says "You got a name like a massive raincoat!". That irritates me no end.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Is it Johnathon Davies? The Welsh rugby player who commentates for the bbc?

His voice makes me want to punch him. ALOT

'nuff said

M

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
`mongoose said:
Is it Johnathon Davies? The Welsh rugby player who commentates for the bbc?

His voice makes me want to punch him. ALOT

'nuff said

M

Goose's accent and Geordies their accent is fucking crap :p

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
U love my sexy accent - I hear you panting on vent when I've given you a good seeing too on Cs:S

:)

M

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
`mongoose said:
U love my sexy accent - I hear you panting on vent when I've given you a good seeing too on Cs:S

:)

M

pff all lies tbfh have not been killed on CS for over 2 days going good :p

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
the stereo-typical english accent does my nut, but apart from that, brummy is stupidly irritating.

Marc

FH is my second home
Any accent from below liverpool, all shit accents

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
scotish and irish. when i speak to scotish they are always arugmentitive, maybe that adds to the dislike aswell.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I hate posh accents, the fake 'yaah's and so on.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
The Dudley (or yam-yam) accent, "Yam alright?", "hows yam doing?", drives me insane.
Also, any accent that puts the letter 'r' in words like glass, fast, bath, etc.

Will

/bin/su
tris- said:
scotish and irish. when i speak to scotish they are always arugmentitive, maybe that adds to the dislike aswell.
Maybe you're asking for it?

;)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
lol "typical fucking scotsman". thats what i can be heard shouting out on occasion.

Will, are you all like that? or is it just the people who are with wanadoo, who happen to live in scotland, who are arguing bastards?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Anywhere North of London, or West of Reading. YOU ALL HAVE FUCKING STUPID INTONATIONS AND ACCENTS, DIE. Especially the far north and west. There's nothing worse than Lancashire and Yorkshire accents, or Welsh or Conrwall accents. You all sound like spastics to the rest of the world, I hope you realise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom