'Get Britain Cycling' inquiry examines cycling strategy

Tom

I am a FH squatter
http://www.ctc.org.uk/get-britain-cycling-inquiry-examines-cycling-strategy#.UP_LSiIC5LE.twitter

To have a parliamentary inquiry on cycling safety is fantastic progress. I sincerely hope some good comes of this. We need our towns and cities connected by cycling facilities you'd be happy to let your children use. We need to redesign our streets so they're pedestrian-centric and cyclist-friendly, and not dangerous strips of asphalt that bisect communities.

The Dutch did it decades ago. It's time we took a deep breath and found the bravery they did.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To have a parliamentary inquiry on cycling safety is fantastic progress.

I have reservations, Tom.

I think they're just going to make helmet use mandatory and fine-able. They'll pay lipservice to the roads and cycling areas.

Plod'll be chasing me up the street in his car rather than chasing after hard-to-spot criminals. :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
http://www.ctc.org.uk/get-britain-cycling-inquiry-examines-cycling-strategy#.UP_LSiIC5LE.twitter

To have a parliamentary inquiry on cycling safety is fantastic progress. I sincerely hope some good comes of this. We need our towns and cities connected by cycling facilities you'd be happy to let your children use. We need to redesign our streets so they're pedestrian-centric and cyclist-friendly, and not dangerous strips of asphalt that bisect communities.

The Dutch did it decades ago. It's time we took a deep breath and found the bravery they did.
The Dutch had the advantage that their cities were levelled by the Nazis and so had the opportunity to remodel vast swathes of their urban areas. The last time Britain had such "fortune" was the great fire. The blitz mullered a lot of property but rarely in massive patches big enough to re-plan whole neighbourhoods.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Cycling is pretty good round my way, plenty of decent cycle lanes. Pretty much every time they redevelop an area they add decent cycling lanes.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The Dutch had the advantage that their cities were levelled by the Nazis and so had the opportunity to remodel vast swathes of their urban areas. The last time Britain had such "fortune" was the great fire. The blitz mullered a lot of property but rarely in massive patches big enough to re-plan whole neighbourhoods.

Um, the Dutch built most of their cycling infrastructure from the 1970s onward.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It rains just about everyfuckinday..itll never take off...even if they provided free bikes and paid you 10p a mile...cycling is shit as neccesary transport.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

Son, no offence, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hollands flat. England isn't not gonna cycle up those fecking hills all day

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hollands flat. England isn't not gonna cycle up those fecking hills all day

That's because we're porky fat fucks.

I couldn't do 2 miles when I started - had to stop for a 15 minute rest and thought I'd die.

Now I don't blink at 30 - including hills.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Didn't say i wasn't but with my asthma I used to struggle two miles to work when I were 18 cause all the damn hills hehe

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Cycled 7 miles each way to work for two years..down the canal..so was nice and quiet...but totally impracticle..i lived and died by the weather reports amd the wind direction...would quite often turn up soaked to my nuts.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cycled 7 miles each way to work for two years..down the canal..so was nice and quiet...but totally impracticle..i lived and died by the weather reports amd the wind direction...would quite often turn up soaked to my nuts.

Well that's your fault for not wearing waterproof gear.

rynnor

Rockhound
We need to redesign our streets so they're pedestrian-centric and cyclist-friendly, and not dangerous strips of asphalt that bisect communities.

Stevenage New Town down the road from us designed in the 50s has footpath/cycle path networks that are totally seperated from the roads - sadly the idea never took off in later developments because it used a lot of space but it means that people can cycle from their door to the town without even crossing a road - great for kids.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have reservations, Tom.

I think they're just going to make helmet use mandatory and fine-able. They'll pay lipservice to the roads and cycling areas.

Plod'll be chasing me up the street in his car rather than chasing after hard-to-spot criminals. :(

This. If you think the austerity zealots in government are about to start ripping up the streets to create cycle lanes you're deluded. The councils don't even fix pot holes and broken pavements until they're sued into doing it.

You'll get all the revenue generating bits (lowered speed limits that will do fuck all good and compulsory helmets and hi-viz), and none of the capital expenditure bits.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry, I misread the title as "Britain's likely to have to pay for Cycling insurance" not sure why...

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
That's because we're porky fat fucks.

I couldn't do 2 miles when I started - had to stop for a 15 minute rest and thought I'd die.

Now I don't blink at 30 - including hills.

I think he is right to an extent. I cycle everywhere in Denmark because it's completely flat so it's a piece of piss, you can exert as much or as little energy as you want. I don't think that its a coincidence that the only 2 countries I've been to where EVERYONE cycles (dk + nl) are also by far and away the 2 flattest I've been to.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
I hate riding on the road, totally despise it. Really don't feel safe with the way a lot of people drive and seem to treat you.

Would much rather blat round the woods like a loony twat anyday, atleast if I get smashed up it's totally my fault and it's much more fun!! :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agree 100% Cemeterygates old chap.

That's why nearly everything I do is offroad. My favourite ride is a 60-mile round trip to clumber park from nottingham - up and down cycle route 6 - which is nearly all offroad for that stretch.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Currently trying to decide if I should

a) pay my tax bill at the end of this month

b) buy another bike

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Oh, you appear to be a fashion victim. :)

Those stock pedals and dart forks have taken me nearly 4000 miles in the past 2.5 years on that bike. :p

Fashion victim? Nope, the stock pedals (if you get any at all with a new bike, funny that really?) are generally shocking, no grip whatsoever in the bumpy stuff and when it's wet. DMR V8's (can be had for £22) and jobs a good un. Just upgraded my forks after running the originals into the ground (rock shox tora) to a nice set of used but in bang on nic rock shox revelation dual air, lighter, smoother......lush :D

Got the 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp myself. Want to upgrade a couple more things on it, then it's time to save up for a Canyon Nerve AL. Canyon are similar to Cube, German and ace spec for money, although I think Canyon are even better in terms of spec v price due to not having any dealers, you buy direct from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom