BBC's Worst Piece of Journalism Ever.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
how about two shapely ladies getting it on Job? would you mind that?

imo what you're talking about is a mix of your gender preference and what parts of society has taught you to be correct: you're not into the cock, and you've been told that cock+cock = wrong. You've most likely been told that vag+vag is also wrong, but you sneakly turn a blind eye because you're attracted to the ladies.

I've been brought up much the same way: for example, my mum masks her latent homophobia with practical disguises, like "childeren need the balance of a woman and a man to create well adjusted views of gender and role" and suchlike retoric. When I dug a little I found that she is also completely against gay marriage for much the same reasons, however she accepts that love is unconditional and that love happening within the same gender can exist. She just doesn't want the gheis to marry, but as to why exactly she is unclear as it's buried in a deep sense of church and soceity and personal morals (she's nearly 80 btw).

I have a lesbian friend who is virulently against the hetrosexuality is good message that society contunially pumps out; if you start to notice it, you'll see it everywhere: you (as in you the general public) get shown at every turn that the only possible way to happiness is to fall in the pattern of man-woman-kids-pets-nice-house-average-car-be-hardworking-and-productive. She hates the fact that an image is projected that if you're not in a relationship (with a man) and don't have kids and don't have a job then it's impossible for you to be a happy and well adjusted member of the community. As a happily single bloke I've actually started to come around to her way of thinking and have started to get a bit annoyed myself (for example in ads you see that it's considered well and good to be single in your 20's but you're a bit abnormal when you're single in your 30's -why????) and I'm not even gay, and I don't see the hetrosexual confirmation overtones in the world around me until people like my friend point them out to me. NB before you think she's a man hating virago, her point is that the message is flawed; it's not man+woman = happiness, it's people = happiness and for myself I quite agree with her.

I think your lesbian friend is confusing marketing with propaganda. The 2.4 kids nuclear family is shorthand for "buys a lot of soap powder". No point in getting wound up by it.

I've long since come to the conclusion that happiness actually doesn't have much to do with your sexual orientation or what kind of relationship you're in (or not). Some people are happy, others aren't, and its just brain chemistry.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you're missing the fact that people can adopt or have kids, and it doesn't have to be a male/female mix. first time you see a Kellog's Cornflakes with two ladies and a child at the table there's going to be riots across the entire mid-western US :)

rynnor

Rockhound
TdC said:
you're missing the fact that people can adopt or have kids, and it doesn't have to be a male/female mix. first time you see a Kellog's Cornflakes with two ladies and a child at the table there's going to be riots across the entire mid-western US :)

First rule of advertising is dont upset the majority. Even a fair proportion of unconventional parents still probably regard it as the ideal.

DaGaffer

You'd be surprised, but you're missing the point. TV marketing has to appeal to the widest demographic, which, despite the divorce rate, is still the traditional nuclear family, representing about 50% of all families (in the UK, more in Ireland, no idea around Europe). Unless your objective is to target a narrower demographic or to deliberately be "edgy" (if this is happening you can usually spot the lame-ass PR spiel that goes with the campaign), then you spend your ad production money in the most effective way. Online advertising can completely disrupt this model, but unfortunately the most expensive bit of an ad campaign is usually the creative, which is then applied across all channels. Bottom line, advertising lags behind reality because of statistics, but there isn't any kind of political agenda in play.

TdC

yup I know this, but that doesn't mean that the minority has to like this now does it? I fucking hate marketeers man. Unfortunately as you and Ryn have rightly seen I also know absolutely f* all about the art of marketing and how to work around it. Thing is, the cliche ads with for example the traditional family as you put it really get on my tits these days. I don't care if company X has worked out that it's the most effective way to spend their advertising budget; this doesn't make the annoyance a smidgen less...err...annoying :eek:

rynnor

Rockhound
It's quite annoying as a hetero bloke - we are now uniformly portrayed as bumbling, sickly and the general butt of jokes as most advertising targets women.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Scouse...whats happened to you man...you used to be the champion of debate and recently you are descending into personal attacks and sweeping judgements...are you scrooge?

DaGaffer

yup I know this, but that doesn't mean that the minority has to like this now does it? I fucking hate marketeers man. Unfortunately as you and Ryn have rightly seen I also know absolutely f* all about the art of marketing and how to work around it. Thing is, the cliche ads with for example the traditional family as you put it really get on my tits these days. I don't care if company X has worked out that it's the most effective way to spend their advertising budget; this doesn't make the annoyance a smidgen less...err...annoying :eek:

Life's far too short to get wound up about stuff like that. Before you know it, you've organised a campaign, and there's lobbying, and quotas, and The Daily Mail is writing articles about bureaucracy gone mad and Job's reposting it on here and we have to hire a hit man to stab him in the face. Again. Its just not worth it.

TdC

meh, that sounds too much like work. I'll leave it to the angry lezzas :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scouse...whats happened to you man...you used to be the champion of debate and recently you are descending into personal attacks and sweeping judgements...are you scrooge?

I'm sorry Job. Have I attacked you in this thread somehow?

I thought that all I said was I thought live and let live was the best policy?

Edit: But yeah, I'm f00king miserable this last couple of weeks, so maybe a bit more irascible than usual :(

gohan

FH is my second home
I hear Aoami LOVES the cock!! But he's not into marriage so his view is redundent anyway...

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Is there really no-one gay on this forum? Did we drive them out ?

Statistically with this number of blokes we should have loads?

On the topic of things straight men and women don't want to see can I say my number one is ugly people making out - it just makes me shudder.

Of course you accept intellectually that ugly people must breed else how would there be so many of them but I'd rather not see it.

You draw them out, i'll get the pitchforks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom