News 'Artificial life' created

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I think your mis-understanding me - yes it was artificially created but its just a copy of the natural one.

To be a genuinely artificial lifeform it would need to be running on a genome we designed - it isnt.
You might want to loosen your hold on that single point because it isn't going to last long.

Yes the genome of the original cell was sequenced.
That sequence was then stored as a string of 1,080,000 base pair "digits" in software.
The researchers then modified that string to include a number of specific sequences to act as "watermarks".

From the abstract of the paper for Science...
The only DNA in the cells is the designed synthetic DNA sequence, including "watermark" sequences and other designed gene deletions and polymorphisms, and mutations acquired during the building process.
"Designed gene deletions", they knocked out certain codons, probably for the watermarks.
"polymorphisms"... They didn't just knock out codons at random. They understand how genes up and down the string interact. They know that gene A won't express unless gene B and C are active for example.
"mutations acquired during the building process", because despite all attempts at perfect replication, DNA damage is a part of life. The ability of the cell to repair this damage is a critical part of cellular biology.

So rynnor, while you're grasping that this is "just a copy of a natural one", these researchers have taken a "natural one", modified the genetic sequence, and then used artificial means to recreate the new sequence, and then put this new sequence into the nucleus of a cell.
The cell subsequently performed all the functions required to maintain life, including reproduction. Each of the daughter generations carried the watermarks and modifications form the initial cell.

While the original source might have been a natural in this case, it is now only a matter of time before a sequence is generated entirely within software and then "printed out" and inserted into a cell's nucleus. When that happens, I hope that you'll acknowledge that it is truly artificial?
Knowing you, you'll say that it isn't completely artificial because the external cell has a natural source.

rynnor

Rockhound
So rynnor, while you're grasping that this is "just a copy of a natural one", these researchers have taken a "natural one", modified the genetic sequence, and then used artificial means to recreate the new sequence, and then put this new sequence into the nucleus of a cell.
The cell subsequently performed all the functions required to maintain life, including reproduction. Each of the daughter generations carried the watermarks and modifications form the initial cell.

While the original source might have been a natural in this case, it is now only a matter of time before a sequence is generated entirely within software and then "printed out" and inserted into a cell's nucleus. When that happens, I hope that you'll acknowledge that it is truly artificial?
Knowing you, you'll say that it isn't completely artificial because the external cell has a natural source.

Its a copy with few enough changes that it remains viable - theres plenty of junk in dna that doesnt do much so you can watermark without actually effecting viability.

Its a small advance but it is by no means artificial life - but it is a triumph of marketing over reality.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't understand it but I suppose it gives our future robot overlords something to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom