PC Master Race Half Life 3?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
when I get a VR set I've decided to go with an oculus quest (to keep Mrs JBP| happy) and get the oculus link thingy, as that apparently turns it in to a rift.
Before that happens I need a graphics card upgrade and a usb 3 card thing, oh and maybe a new case if I can't find a card to fit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hold off until you have a ninja PC tbh...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Was working until 3:45am. Got another solid day ahead of me (despite being out of work in Jan because: Tory rules).

Was going to lie in a bit but got woken at 7:
20191127_083826.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What we supposed to be looking at in that pic?
The big box that says "valve index" - that I'm setting up right now!

Waiting on updates. I put the headset on for just a second and it showed me a room with a vista that looked amazeballs :)

I've had to lie about the scale of my room tho :eek:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The first thing I saw after I put on the Rift headset (after the setup bit) was this in-fucking-credible tutorial on a spaceship, and then the Oculus homescreen thing was this room on the side of a mountain with views for miles. The whole thing is mind-blowing - not so much the graphics (although they're better with the Index than the Rift CV1) but the experience of looking about, peering around corners etc. There's just no way it's a fad, it's too good.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The big box that says "valve index" - that I'm setting up right now!

Waiting on updates. I put the headset on for just a second and it showed me a room with a vista that looked amazeballs :)

I've had to lie about the scale of my room tho :eek:

Ah ok! Cant really see on my phone.

You really are not helping me not buy this.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I assume like the rest of the stuff on steam it will work on my rift s.
I got a 1080gtx powering it. Not gonna upgrade that until 30xx come out.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
After running a comparability test seems I'll need to slap a usb3.0 card in. Will pcie 2.0 1x be fast enough to run a usb3.0 card with only 1 port?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Being able to run USB 3.0 is the least of your concerns with VR, your system need to be able to reliably produce x frames per second (typically 90 but the Index can do 120 or even 144). If you need to add a card to introduce USB 3.0 ports then I really don't think what you've got is up to the job. Also, if it's anything like the Rift (which it seems to be, the only difference I can see in conncectivity is that the Rift uses HDMI and the Index uses DisplayPort), it'll need 1 USB 3.0 port for the headset and each sensor also needs one - and it tells you they shouldn't be out of a hub, they should be direct to the motherboard (or addon card).

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Ran the steam test thing, I'll need a new graphics card (I knew I would)
8gig of ram seems to be acceptable as does the i5 processor.
I will be getting the oculus quest so the upgrades are so I can get use of the link thing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Index needs a display port and USB 3 for the headset. Base stations need power only. Hand units are wireless (charge via usb) and there was no extra adaptor/port needed for them so I presume they talk to the headset.

Yeah. Beefy PC.

Played the "the lab" by valve - tech demo really. But there are some fucking cool things in that demo.

Apart from the portal-alike that was really well scripted and genuinely funny (and some really threatening situations) there's one called secret shop where a fat guy with octopus tentacles walks in and talks to you, gives you a light and leaves you to look into the nooks and crannies.

So much interest and goings on on every shelf and surface and it feels natural to explore. The bloke who talks to you makes you feel like you're in a really dark disney film.

Production costs for a full-scale game with that level of detail in rooms would be astronomical but if valve can bring similar detail along with the interest and inventiveness they show in other bits of the tech demo to Half Life: Alyx then it could potentially blow all other gaming experiences to bits.

Started playing Half Life 2 again last night. What fun. It's really not dated. But funnily enough, there was always something about the half life engine that makes me feel sick after a couple of hours. More than the VR does (at least the index - PSVR is horrid).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Being able to run USB 3.0 is the least of your concerns with VR, your system need to be able to reliably produce x frames per second (typically 90 but the Index can do 120 or even 144). If you need to add a card to introduce USB 3.0 ports then I really don't think what you've got is up to the job. Also, if it's anything like the Rift (which it seems to be, the only difference I can see in conncectivity is that the Rift uses HDMI and the Index uses DisplayPort), it'll need 1 USB 3.0 port for the headset and each sensor also needs one - and it tells you they shouldn't be out of a hub, they should be direct to the motherboard (or addon card).
Rift s uses display port and 1 usb 3.

asrock chipsets usb is incompatible and need a pcie usb card for that mobo

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Daughters boyfriend has just bought the Rift.

Going around to check it out.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
80hz @JBP| ?

You'll have to describe the experience to us. For me, apart from the HL: Alyx thang the thing that convinced me was the 120hz.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
80hz @JBP| ?

You'll have to describe the experience to us. For me, apart from the HL: Alyx thang the thing that convinced me was the 120hz.
I think the rift s is 90hz. Not had an issue with nausea or anything.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
80hz @JBP| ?

Well, as I previously said I've only had a quick demo on a quest and it seemed ok me.

I still cant make my mind up on what to do, therefore for the time being I'll do nothing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom