PC Master Race Half Life 3?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So Valve Index is coming out. I didn't know anything about it until I double-clicked my steam, so bored of the idea of VR am I.

Then I hear that Valve are going to be releasing 3 "flagship" games to work with the new VR system - one due later this year.

VR absolutely needs mass adoption by geeks if it's going to take off and there's one title guaranteed to make a fuckload of people spend a grand...

How pie in the sky do you reckon that is? Rumours predictably are HL3, Portal VR and L4D VR...

...but if Valve are serious about selling their new headset...?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This isn't HL3...

I did add a question mark to the title @dysfunction, but I knew someone would be pissy about it.

However, for the first time in donkeys years it's potentially HL3. There's a whole industry that needs a "killer app". VR is crying out for people to stand up and take notice of it again beyond the outliers.

Can't think of a single release that would make anyone who can afford it go out and buy the hardware.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aaaaaand Steam is down...

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
HL3 would be the last VR game I played to be honest. HL2 was so fast paced and every nerd would have destroyed their basement within a fortnight from running around like headless chickens.

With the current technology it is best suited for slower games if you ask me

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I thought that was the motion sickness thing tho - could be solved at 120hz.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok. Tell me more about Half Life 3.
I can't.

Am I not allowed to talk about the possibility that Valve will be making an announcement on a flagship VR game, and there's a chance it'll be Half Life related?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I can't.

Am I not allowed to talk about the possibility that Valve will be making an announcement on a flagship VR game, and there's a chance it'll be Half Life related?

I didn't say you couldn't...

Embattle

FH is my second home
I always getting a feeling of needing to play HL2 every time I read about HL3.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Doubt they will ever make HL3, wouldnt want to be on that dev team at least pressure would be insane and no matter how good legions of idiots would shit all pver your work

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Doubt they will ever make HL3, wouldnt want to be on that dev team at least pressure would be insane and no matter how good legions of idiots would shit all pver your work
I think you accept that that's definitely going to happen, that sales would be stratospheric and that in the end, if your game is good, people will remember it fondly.

I do think that it's the game that could launch VR properly, at least into the hands of PC gamers.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Half Life is meh to me now.

Meh.

Meh.

Meh.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Half Life 2 supports ultra-wide and to my surprise, so does the original. I'm sure I remember having to add command line parameters or something to even get it to run in 16:9, back in the day. Half Life looks absolutely pap of course (and the movement is *wrong*) but 2 is still great.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Half Life 2 made me very very sick. Half Life VR would be very bad for my carpets.

This is why I'm firmly triple screen and not VR for iRacing, unlike a lot of people. I just can't do it :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's why I'm interested in the new one - 120fps might do the trick.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So, having just finished HL2 earlier today, one area that has definitely advanced since it came out is NPC intelligence/behaviour. Holy shitballs it's bad in places. The enemies appear pretty smart but the friendlies that "help" along the way are infuriatingly stupid.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Nope. This is a fucking terrible announcement by them, you can compare this to Diablo Immortal - announcing something new from a franchise that fans have wanted for years... only for it to be for something fucking inferior (lol VR) - this picture sums it up perfectly. #DiabloImmortal2.0

EJtWSWIXsAI0zjd.png:large

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
No, this is a fucking joke.

Wankers.

I suppose it was always going to happen, and I wouldn't put it past Valve to make all their future titles VR exclusives because yano, they gotta flog as many VR sets as poss!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nope. This is a fucking terrible announcement by them, you can compare this to Diablo Immortal - announcing something new from a franchise that fans have wanted for years... only for it to be for something fucking inferior (lol VR) - this picture sums it up perfectly. #DiabloImmortal2.0

EJtWSWIXsAI0zjd.png:large
That's just butthurtness.

HL3 was always going to be VR. Just like in the early days of PCs the requirement for 3d acceleration drove hardware sales by the real geeks (which in turn drove increasing mass market adoption - in the form of 'dumbed down PCs' for the masses - VR needs a killer app that will make a hardcore of people buy the hardware that will slowly drive experiences that could lead to mass market adoption of the tech.

It requires a high end PC (and increasingly more so). The Valve Index supports 144hz refresh rates and as far as reality is concerned is 1st-gen hardware - so resolutions and framerates will need to be driven much higher to ensure the experience is comfortable.

Valve haven't released anything for aaaages and have always had a quality "when-it's-done spproach (that Blizzard have ditched as they just rehash their old shite with new graphics). They have very very deep pockets which enable them to use this to drive what they think is potentially market-transformative hardware sales. Coupled with the fact that this is treasured intellectual property makes you think that they've brewed up a unique gameplay experience.

Gameplay is what makes games worth it - not flashy graphics. Geeks know that - real geeks who want something new (which the industry is crying out for - in general games have become staid and boring console shite (indy games are where any real innovation lies)).

Geeks will shell out a grand on that, plus the cost of their ultra high-end PC's. The peasants can hate, but the PC is hoping to become true "master race" again, if they get it right.

Mouse + keyboard (or worse, peon console controller (lol)) and standard 3d shooter be damned. If valve have created the blueprint for a phenomenal experience that starts mass-adoption and shows other developers the potential of VR then this could be the beginning of a 90's like gaming era all over again.

Then they can look at driving down the cost of VR so peons can rock up with their dumbed-down console and beige clone-a-CoD shite.

Until then this could be like 1998 all over again*. -Worth shelling out another grand for. :)

*ofc, it could be shite ;)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Why does it have to be VR? VR isn't pc gaming its a different new thing and absolutely should not be seen as the next thing for pc gaming.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Why does it have to be VR? VR isn't pc gaming its a different new thing and absolutely should not be seen as the next thing for pc gaming.

Especially since many experience motion sickness etc with the tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom