PC Master Race Half Life 3?

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by Scouse, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Scouse

Scouse HERO! FH Subscriber

So Valve Index is coming out. I didn't know anything about it until I double-clicked my steam, so bored of the idea of VR am I.

Then I hear that Valve are going to be releasing 3 "flagship" games to work with the new VR system - one due later this year.

VR absolutely needs mass adoption by geeks if it's going to take off and there's one title guaranteed to make a fuckload of people spend a grand...

How pie in the sky do you reckon that is? Rumours predictably are HL3, Portal VR and L4D VR...

...but if Valve are serious about selling their new headset...?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. dysfunction

dysfunction FH is my second home

This isn't HL3...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Scouse

I did add a question mark to the title @dysfunction, but I knew someone would be pissy about it.

However, for the first time in donkeys years it's potentially HL3. There's a whole industry that needs a "killer app". VR is crying out for people to stand up and take notice of it again beyond the outliers.

Can't think of a single release that would make anyone who can afford it go out and buy the hardware.

4. dysfunction

It's still false advertising click baiting.

5. Scouse

Balls. You can have discussions on HL3 without it being clickbait. And for once it's possibly a goer.

6. Scouse

Aaaaaand Steam is down...

7. CorNokZ

CorNokZ Currently a stay at home dad

HL3 would be the last VR game I played to be honest. HL2 was so fast paced and every nerd would have destroyed their basement within a fortnight from running around like headless chickens.

With the current technology it is best suited for slower games if you ask me

8. Scouse

I thought that was the motion sickness thing tho - could be solved at 120hz.

9. dysfunction

10. Scouse

No Dys. My post is about the possibility of Half Life 3, because of the new VR.

If it's a 1% chance I'm interested.

I know what my post is about. Regardless of how you feel about it.

11. dysfunction

Ok. Tell me more about Half Life 3.

12. Gwadien

Gwadien Uneducated Northern Cretin

Nah, this is click bait, fuck your VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scouse

I can't.

Am I not allowed to talk about the possibility that Valve will be making an announcement on a flagship VR game, and there's a chance it'll be Half Life related?

14. dysfunction

I didn't say you couldn't...

15. Embattle

Embattle FH is my second home

I always getting a feeling of needing to play HL2 every time I read about HL3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. caLLous

caLLous I am a FH squatter FH Subscriber

Same... I wonder if it supports ultrawide...

17. Ormorof

Ormorof FH is my second home

Doubt they will ever make HL3, wouldnt want to be on that dev team at least pressure would be insane and no matter how good legions of idiots would shit all pver your work

18. Scouse

I think you accept that that's definitely going to happen, that sales would be stratospheric and that in the end, if your game is good, people will remember it fondly.

I do think that it's the game that could launch VR properly, at least into the hands of PC gamers.

19. Wij

Wij I am a FH squatter FH Subscriber

Half Life is meh to me now.

Meh.

Meh.

Meh.

20. caLLous

Half Life 2 supports ultra-wide and to my surprise, so does the original. I'm sure I remember having to add command line parameters or something to even get it to run in 16:9, back in the day. Half Life looks absolutely pap of course (and the movement is *wrong*) but 2 is still great.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. Gumbo

Gumbo FH is my second home

Half Life 2 made me very very sick. Half Life VR would be very bad for my carpets.

This is why I'm firmly triple screen and not VR for iRacing, unlike a lot of people. I just can't do it :(

22. Scouse

It's why I'm interested in the new one - 120fps might do the trick.

23. caLLous

So, having just finished HL2 earlier today, one area that has definitely advanced since it came out is NPC intelligence/behaviour. Holy shitballs it's bad in places. The enemies appear pretty smart but the friendlies that "help" along the way are infuriatingly stupid.

24. Scouse