another reason to love anjelina jolie!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
as if one was needed!
just read this and thought about the blubbing simpering bastards on comic relief (i.e posh sodding spice) who stand about looking all dewey eyed at starving little kids scrubbing through trash to find some food, begging us the average poor joes to "give as much as you can!!" then going back to the UK and throwing a party whilst providing guests with their own personal butlers for the evening which costs god knows what and probably having pillow fights with dodo feather filled sleeping cushions.

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have donated nearly £175,000 to help poverty-stricken African babies, as tribute to their new daughter.

The superstar couple, whose baby girl, Shiloh Nouvel, was born on May 28, spent the last two months of Angelina’s pregnancy in Namibia.

Angelina and Brad have been actively involved in the work of Third World charities and have also pledged over £8000 to build a school and a community centre in the Namibian town of Swakopmund, reports The Sun.

Namibia’s deputy Environment and Tourism Minister Leon Jooste said the generous donation will be used to improve the maternity wards of local hospitals.

The happy couple have thanked the local community for its hospitality in a statement which read: "We want to contribute to Namibia and the people who have been so gracious to us at this time."

so what if they gave their kid a silly name (well shiloh's nice the middle names a bit daft) they got off their arses and gave, didnt go mithering other people to do it, but if they did i would because they have set an example.

[taken from: www.hindustantimes.com/news ]

soze

I am a FH squatter
TBH it is good that they gave money but they will have to give more than 1 days interest on their combined fortune before I start to think anything more than you wanted your name in the paper :( Sorry but i'm cynical and giving 200k when you live in a house worth millions is just good PR.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
soze said:
TBH it is good that they gave money but they will have to give more than 1 days interest on their combined fortune before I start to think anything more than you wanted your name in the paper :( Sorry but i'm cynical and giving 200k when you live in a house worth millions is just good PR.

your correct here, but then again...where is the money posh spice or other people gave?

in regards to their wealth they did not give much, but its still alot of money.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
If she wants to be loved more she can start by giving me a blowjob :(

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
As has been stated they gave the equivalent of me giving 20eruos to some charity. But sure, lets worship their generosity. Not as if they are really part of the problem rather than the solution or anything... nope, not at all :touch:

noblok

Part of the furniture
Then again, the fact that they have so much money is really a flaw of the system. You can't blame them for getting as much out of it as they can. Blame the people who pay them the ridiculous wages (i.e. everyone who goes and see their movies).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
At £20 million a movie that kind of money is a drop in the ocean to her, little more than a few weeks interest from her vast fortune. Her heart does seem to be in the right place though, I will concede that.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Personally, if she had donated £1 million I would have been awed since greed of celebrities is quite large now a days. However, the small amount she donated is, as someone put, equivalent to the geneorisity of a normal, working class person donating £10-20.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
Bugz said:
Personally, if she had donated £1 million I would have been awed since greed of celebrities is quite large now a days. However, the small amount she donated is, as someone put, equivalent to the geneorisity of a normal, working class person donating £10-20.

no, its the equalivent of a working class person donating £175000 or whatever they gave. you cant buy the hospitals the same stuff for £20 as you can for £175k.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
fl3a said:
no, its the equalivent of a working class person donating £175000 or whatever they gave. you cant buy the hospitals the same stuff for £20 as you can for £175k.

Fl3a is correct, people are comparing the sets of numbers but you cant do this, the reason is because there worth is different, your comparing the scale in wages to the amount given....a percentile of their earnings, however the simple fact is 175k gets alot more than £20.

Angelina Jolie may only give the same percentage of her earnings to namibia as an everyday person, however she fully understands by her doing so, she can offer far more productivity from her percentage.

lets up the scale her, lets say Bill gates only gives 1 million pound, now the percentage is the same, yet the amount for namibia is much higher....it does not matter that they give a very low amount of their total earnings, its the fact they understand that their percentafe given, does a whole lot more.

oh and let me ask this simple question...how much money did you give to Namibia? how much money did you give to charity recently?

its all too easy to jump on their backs...but the bitter truth is most people dont give anything to any charity.

Mey

Part of the furniture
(all you moaners can donate using the link below on googleads!)

I agree with Bahumat so what if its only 175k.. 175k is still 175k!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Bahumat said:
Fl3a is correct, people are comparing the sets of numbers but you cant do this, the reason is because there worth is different, your comparing the scale in wages to the amount given....a percentile of their earnings, however the simple fact is 175k gets alot more than £20.

200k build one hospital she could have donated 20mil and built 10 a few schools and a libary ;)

I know she gave alot of money i also know that the £50 a month i give to various foundations prolly dose nothing. But my point was yes it was good she gave the money but she could have given $20mil and not decreased her stadard of living so i wont be saying shes a saint, its a good start but its a drop in the ocean compared to what she could do.

Could not Should

My point is i dont think she should be praised when she could give so much more.

Zegas

Fledgling Freddie
I think she only does all this over-the-top charity and nice crap because she is so insecure and worries people think she is another shallow celebrity, which, she is showing she is :x If she wasn't, she'd not need try so hard to show it I think.

Though even forced niceness is niceness nonetheless, to the people recieving it atleast.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
As for the comments she ain't giving alot and only one time etc is just silly. Do a background check before you say statements like that. This is far from the first time Angelina Jolie has been giving money to charity. She's been to many different places in africa and other parts of the world and contributing for years.

I can't say anything about Brad Pitt but I bet he ain't as egoistic either.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I think a few here are looking at it wrong, if your a millionaire (or 'ess) then yes, giving money is pretty much a given thing. But at what point do we say 'enough' is really enough to donate.

Giving is Giving at the end of the day, so regardless of how much someone donates something is better than nothing. I mean if every millionaire in the world donated a similar amount to Angelina they could do an amazing amount of things. If you earn 20k+ a year and you buy a raffle ticket to 'Help Africa' would you find it nice if the seller was to say 'Hey, tight wadd, thats nothing compared to what you earn' - I for one would just walk away and not even bother...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
fl3a said:

I said equivalent to the generoisity.

I know £175k gets more than £20 - who doesn't?

But the generoisity value is much the same in the sense it's the same %ish of what you earn. And in all honesty, some celebrities donate these values (which are very little for them) for social-status. A good actor is a nice thing to have. A good, charity-loving actor is even a nicer thing to have. I know Angelina Jolie doesn't do this herself since she's very intouch with Africa. IMO, the people that do the chairty giving, us everyday people (we all donate at some point - be it non-school uniform days, red nose day etc.), aren't recognised because, even though we give the same %'ish, we don't give the same amount. And this does scale up appropiately because lower paid people lose say 10% and their style of living may go down but if a celebrity loses 10% then his standard of living stays the same indefiently.

Mey

Part of the furniture
If you ought to donate then you can, it doesn't have to be money. It can be time, support or whatever.

We should praise Jolie, but we should also praise those who go above and beyond the call of duty more so. (which as far as i am aware we don't.).

The Queen Gives Awards to celbs and sportsfolk, but when do we ever see rewards for charity work on the tv and so on.

noblok

Part of the furniture
Bugz said:
IMO, the people that do the chairty giving, us everyday people (we all donate at some point - be it non-school uniform days, red nose day etc.), aren't recognised because, even though we give the same %'ish, we don't give the same amount.
I think it's got more to do with them being celebrities. Everything they do gets infinitely more attention than it should. As a comparison: 'normal' people don't get in the news when they're pregnant (unless they're male or 80), celebrities do.

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Well...

soze said:

Well Angelina is quite involved within the UN support system.

To mention 1 thing, she donated 1 million $ to Afganistan after the 9/11 attacks and retribution, while (ofc) most celebrities donated money to the 9/11 fond (a worthy cause too ofc), she went against the stream and donated money to the victims of the retribution war instead.

So in my opinion she is a unusually enlightened celeb, that has the heart in the right place and tries to help those worst off instead of just getting brownie points from popular causes.

/Charmangle

Zede

Part of the furniture
If every hollywood movie "star" have just 1% of their vast fortunes, I bet you could build a dozen hospitals over there.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
soze said:

Its hard to believe that Angelina Jolie doesnt honestly care for the people she helps. She has done ALOT to help people in third world countries, and i believe her to honestly be a nice person. These donations are not tax deductable as they were made out of the US, not 100% sure on the laws, but they have to be registered in the US as a charity to be tax deductable.

Its know that in the 21st century the public is becoming very sceptical of celebrities, but its unfortunate that when one does something out of the goodness of their heart they are accused of publicity stunts. Even if this is a publicity stunt, i really dont think the people of Namibia care, that money will go a long way in helping them.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am not trying to say she dose not care all i am saying is she gets soo much publicity as being a great humanitarian when there are people who sell everything they own and move to countries to help with aids ect. So basically yes it is great she gives money but she gets too much attention for it in my eyes and could do so much more. Untill i see her give all her earnings from a film or something to charity she is not a saint for me.

Just my opion of course instead of her being in the news they could have one of the oxfam doctors who take a year out of work to travle to africa for no money to help.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
soze said:
I am not trying to say she dose not care all i am saying is she gets soo much publicity as being a great humanitarian when there are people who sell everything they own and move to countries to help with aids ect. So basically yes it is great she gives money but she gets too much attention for it in my eyes and could do so much more. Untill i see her give all her earnings from a film or something to charity she is not a saint for me.

Just my opion of course instead of her being in the news they could have one of the oxfam doctors who take a year out of work to travle to africa for no money to help.

hmm similarly, she's turned down roles to go work in africa i believe.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Darksword said:
hmm similarly, she's turned down roles to go work in africa i believe.

I dont doubt she has like i said i think she gets too much praise and too much attention for what she dose considering what she could do. Its my view only.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
soze said:
I dont doubt she has like i said i think she gets too much praise and too much attention for what she dose considering what she could do. Its my view only.

True, but what should she do?

People are neglecting that Angelina understands these problems better than most here.

Sure she could finance a whole village for the next 20 years, but whats that going to achieve? Im sure she thinks more about poverty and helping people than most of us, and understands that we have to help them, to improve their own situation, you cant just throw cash at a situation to make ti better, by giving 175,000 it will be enough to help feed the children, to help their education and to help them better their own position to help their own people.

She has done alot of humanitarian work.

And for people that think its a publicity stunt, what about Maddox?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
this thread is useless without pictures. HOORAH!

angelina_jolie2.sized.jpg

Angelina+Jolie_73569.jpg

78130221_573999b171_m.jpg

soze

I am a FH squatter
Darksword said:
True, but what should she do?

People are neglecting that Angelina understands these problems better than most here.

Sure she could finance a whole village for the next 20 years, but whats that going to achieve? Im sure she thinks more about poverty and helping people than most of us, and understands that we have to help them, to improve their own situation, you cant just throw cash at a situation to make ti better, by giving 175,000 it will be enough to help feed the children, to help their education and to help them better their own position to help their own people.

She has done alot of humanitarian work.

And for people that think its a publicity stunt, what about Maddox?

The way i read it she gave money to the village near where she was staying. So she could give the same do the next 10 villages down the road. give oxfam the 10 mil instead let them distribute it to help more than one village. It comes down to money with the amount her and Brad have they could do alot more and help alot more people than just the one place.

Now i know she has done alot more and will contiue too she is prolly one of the most active celebs giving up thier time to help people i agree with that. But if she was just rich and not A J she would not get any press for giving 200k imo.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
soze said:
The way i read it she gave money to the village near where she was staying. So she could give the same do the next 10 villages down the road. give oxfam the 10 mil instead let them distribute it to help more than one village. It comes down to money with the amount her and Brad have they could do alot more and help alot more people than just the one place.

Now i know she has done alot more and will contiue too she is prolly one of the most active celebs giving up thier time to help people i agree with that. But if she was just rich and not A J she would not get any press for giving 200k imo.

I dont wreckon she is doing it for press, and even if she is, it doesnt take away from the fact that she genuinly cares and does alot to help. And one village at a time?

My teacher sends out $100 a month, direct to a village that he stayed and worked in when he went out to work in Africa. He doesnt give it to any agency because he doesnt trust them to benefit the people as much as they themselves could. Maybe those who know the situation better can make better judgements on how to benefit the people?

People need to also understand that their are limitations, i mean Bill Gates wants to be the first to donate $1billion to Africa but there are alot of barriers.

Why cant we just see this as a kind act?

Namibia is a country along the West coast i believe, so i think she will have given it to some adoption agency or hospital for children <Shrug>

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Soze have you given a years salary to charity? same thing for Angelina - at least she activiely does something which is a lot more than lot of people - famous or not. Lets not forget she has adopted 2 children as well as being an ambassador to the UN and I doubt its public knowledge every donation she has made to charities before now.

Lay off my missus and go moan about someone who does nothing, not one of the efw who is actively seen to be trying to help people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom