World of Tanks

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
just signed up for WOT after considering it for a while. I'm Teedles as I am in most games. Feel free to shoot the shit out of me :)

I tried to search for you online last night and couldn't find you. I think there are some protections which stop brand new accounts contacting/being contacted so that spam bots get blocked.

I suggest you play around Tier 1 for a while. Start training all your crews in camo and when you have enough money buy binocular telescope, then buy a camo net. Wait until your crews have 60%+ in camo before moving to Tier 2, you will find it help so much!

If you want advice on want tank lines to go for first (depending on what you like to do) then feel free to ask.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Cheers dude. I went on a bit of a binge play and got up to tier 4 in the British light tank line. That's where I noticed that I had neglected / no clue about crews and people were just pasting me all over the map. After dying a bunch of times I decided to call it a night and ofc then read your post hehe :)

TdC

I know. This game isn't for me (yet). I'm far too aggressive and impatient, coupled with no knowledge at all of other tank's weak spots.

I'm working on being more patient, but even when I *think* I am patient there are people who out-patient me. Last night I was playing a match in my Covenator and actually taking the time to hide in bushes and sneak about. I was in a little group with a medium tank and a TD and we hid in a small bushy wood to watch a small farm next to a railroad. Sure enough, after 5 minutes or so a heavy and medium tank comes up together with a Hetzer TD (I know all about those now pff). We exchanged shots with the friendly heavy and TD doing for the enemy. I shot at the Hetzer to fuck all effect, but he backed off after our heavy hit him a glancing blow.

So anyway my friendly comrades left, and I sat behind a bush waiting for the Hetzer to move up so I could bum-rush him. I remained hidden for well over 6 minutes, but then decided he'd fucked off so I moved off. The *instant* I left the bush, the Hetzer derped me full in the face and I died. So, dude had ignored the battle raging in the town just to out-wait me. Wow, I mean, wow 0_o Still, he got one more tank than I did so GG that man :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
I tried to search for you online last night and couldn't find you. I think there are some protections which stop brand new accounts contacting/being contacted so that spam bots get blocked.

I suggest you play around Tier 1 for a while. Start training all your crews in camo and when you have enough money buy binocular telescope, then buy a camo net. Wait until your crews have 60%+ in camo before moving to Tier 2, you will find it help so much!

If you want advice on want tank lines to go for first (depending on what you like to do) then feel free to ask.

I am of the opposite idea, best place to learn is higher tiers :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
I know. This game isn't for me (yet). I'm far too aggressive and impatient, coupled with no knowledge at all of other tank's weak spots.

I'm working on being more patient, but even when I *think* I am patient there are people who out-patient me. Last night I was playing a match in my Covenator and actually taking the time to hide in bushes and sneak about. I was in a little group with a medium tank and a TD and we hid in a small bushy wood to watch a small farm next to a railroad. Sure enough, after 5 minutes or so a heavy and medium tank comes up together with a Hetzer TD (I know all about those now pff). We exchanged shots with the friendly heavy and TD doing for the enemy. I shot at the Hetzer to fuck all effect, but he backed off after our heavy hit him a glancing blow.

So anyway my friendly comrades left, and I sat behind a bush waiting for the Hetzer to move up so I could bum-rush him. I remained hidden for well over 6 minutes, but then decided he'd fucked off so I moved off. The *instant* I left the bush, the Hetzer derped me full in the face and I died. So, dude had ignored the battle raging in the town just to out-wait me. Wow, I mean, wow 0_o Still, he got one more tank than I did so GG that man :)

I think it is a bit "easy" to say you have to be patient this game. If you want to become good you have to keep your gun in the game all the time, and hiding in a bush for 6 minutes will keep your gun out of the fight for 6 minutes. But it is a good way to stop dying quickly (cause that is a wasted tank) and improving from the sucidie rushes.

I watched a youtube channel recently with some amazing players, and the way the managed to reposition themselves to shoot constantly was amazing.

Example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZJXpc4bSk

This is ofc not applicable in Tier1-4 which is more pure carnage, but at Tier5 it starts to emerge tanks that are capable of late game gameplay.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I am of the opposite idea, best place to learn is higher tiers :)

That wasn't what I meant. Your statement is an over simplication. Buying a Tier 8 premium and playing that when you have just started the game will get you universially hated and you won't learn much.

TdC has just started the game, assuming he hasn't spurged money on gold yet he will need to play a few games just to be able to buy any equipment. Look at his stats he played 2 games in the Tier 1 before moving to Tier 2, he probably didn't even have enough to put a repair kit on the tank...

All I am suggesting is play ~50 games in a Tier 1 before moving up, it will give your crew a massive boost in their ability and let you buy key pieces of equipment. I personally don't go above Tier 5 until my crew has sixth sense.

Finally and most importantly, its a game... You play the Tiers you have most fun in!

Lethul

FH is my second home
That wasn't what I meant. Your statement is an over simplication. Buying a Tier 8 premium and playing that when you have just started the game will get you universially hated and you won't learn much.

TdC has just started the game, assuming he hasn't spurged money on gold yet he will need to play a few games just to be able to buy any equipment. Look at his stats he played 2 games in the Tier 1 before moving to Tier 2, he probably didn't even have enough to put a repair kit on the tank...

All I am suggesting is play ~50 games in a Tier 1 before moving up, it will give your crew a massive boost in their ability and let you buy key pieces of equipment. I personally don't go above Tier 5 until my crew has sixth sense.

Finally and most importantly, its a game... You play the Tiers you have most fun in!

Well I agree on a lot of things, tier5+ sixth sense is a must.

I do however think tier1-3 can be a bit to chaotic to learn in. 90% suiscouters and very difficult to do anything against higher tiers.
What I learnt after playing a game is how important it is to have 100% crew.

So listen to Cadelin until you got the ropes, look me up ingame if you wanna platoon sometime.

http://wotlabs.net/eu/player/Lethul

TdC

Cheers guys you're awesome with your advices! What I've basically taken away from yesterday is to be more patient... Figuratively speaking, e. g. to loiter more in the lower tiers. I need both XP in general and time to train my crews. While doing that I'll have the added advantage of learning about lurking in bushes :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Cheers guys you're awesome with your advices! What I've basically taken away from yesterday is to be more patient... Figuratively speaking, e. g. to loiter more in the lower tiers. I need both XP in general and time to train my crews. While doing that I'll have the added advantage of learning about lurking in bushes :)

Oh! And get a mod pack, I have Aslains XVM. The draw/view range circles help immensely and I am also very fond of the auto aim assistant when driving fast tanks :) There are also some questionable mods that will help you greatly such as enemy reload timer (it is legal but still questionable ;) ).

TdC

aha yeah I see. I was watching a youtube vid by some dude named Quickybaby and he was talking about modpacks too. cheers Lethul! :D

TdC

AWWWWWW MAAAAAN!!!

had a 1v1 with a German arty with the scores 14:14. my team were begging me to kill him. after a bit of a turning match around a large boulder, I shot him in the side plating for about 85% of his hitpoints just as he was turning towards me. naturally I couldn't get my tail out of the way quick enough and he derped me and I died. I DIED IN GAME BUT ALSO INSIDE :( :( :(

SilverHood

FH is my second home

I found it way more interesting just rushing to tier 5 for the KV-1 heavy tank, and then just murdering stuff in my heavy. There are so many Russian heavies that you can stick around in the tier 5-6 range for ages with the same crew, making lots of money and gaining valuable experience. Getting experience at the lower tiers is tricky. Once you hit a solid tank / TD capable of scoring 500+ xp every game, that's when your crew really starts to benefit. I leveled most of my Russian tank crew on the KV-1 and IS-3. My Americans on the T-29 and T67. My Germans on the Panzer 3/4 and VK 3601 and later both the Tiger tanks (not at once).

I have tier 8's, 9's and 10's, but found them to be much less fun. When I stopped playing at the end of 2014, tier's 5-8 was the most fun, assuming you didn't get landed with a bunch tier 10's.

TdC

Well, now that I am getting to know the game a bit more things are getting more fun. I'm managing about 1 'good' game in 3 or 4, depending on the matchmaking and how good my -/ the other team is. Yesterday I got a 1st class mastery badge, which was nice.

I also found a nice article detailing how tanks get spotted and what camouflage actually does, which was very informative. Following reading that I had two fairly decent games of hiding and spotting in my Covenanter, and two awesome games in my Vickers Medium III. Awesome as in fun, not as in "woo, results!", but at least I felt I was actually doing something. I played a game in the Russian light tank with a 100% crew you get for completing something and was amazed what a difference a 100% crew makes (my other tanks have crews at ~80% atm) even though I died horribly in a hail of shells.

Regarding tiers, tbh I was having a bit of a brain-fart coming to grips with how the tank specific and general XP thing worked but I think I've sussed it now. IMO Wargaming are evil bastards, but they have come up with a system that keeps a reasonable balance between grinding and playing. I do feel I am getting better at the game, and I realize I have to replay a specific tank for quite a while to reap full benefits from both crew and upgrade potential. Following your advice I shall start a heavy line to see how that plays. Perhaps it will suit me better.

I've noticed that I tend to do things in the wrong order : I'm aggressive and impulsive when I should be sneaking about, and I am careful and sneaky when I should be bold. I'll give a few games a try this evening by doing the reverse of what my instinct tells me :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
The russian heavy line up to IS-3 is amazingly noob friendly (grinding it myself atm, at kv-85).
Japanese heavy line reaping a lot of tears on forums, especially T5-6 (only just started playing again so have no experience with them).

To learn spotting mechanics and be able camosnipe like a pro american T67 (T5), that tank is close to broken with a skilled driver.

Best fun for me is mediums tho, and you can't go wrong with the russian meds (T-34 is a really good T5)

T-34 and T67 are my recommended tanks if you wanna learn the game for T5 and fun (can throw in M7 aswell but it leads to a difficult line, most underrated tank in the game imo!)
KV-1 is good for learning how to angle armor.

TdC

blah....SECOND time I let a team down :-/ I was in my T3 Medium, and me and a Covenanter pulled a game back from defeat and then split up to hunt the three enemy SPG. Turns out THEY had also split up and one was in our base while the other two were hiding. The Cov went back to our base while I tried to find the rogue arty. I did and killed him while the Cov got derped by the one capping our base. I was in the middle of the map (Mines) and thought I'd try to clear our base but for the life of me couldn't spot the frigging capper from the hill. Then I was too late getting off the hill and lost to a successful cap. The team were fairly philosophical about it amd nobody raged at me. A nice Russian said ("Yiu nied vision for ur tenk meeet!") but I felt like a right heel :-/

Urgat

Part of the furniture
The most important concepts to understand and master are...

The spotting system
Effective use of armour
Doing damage

If your shooting and not getting hit back, your doing it right. understanding the spotting system allows this.
If your getting shot at... then proper use of armour to mitigate damage is the next best thing.

Both these things allow you to excel at the last thing... doing damage. This is what wins games

Source...

http://wotlabs.net/eu/player/sanguisaevum

Blue stats on EU

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Do you want him to commit suicide? :)

Playing that long at tier 1 isn't mentally healthy.

blah....SECOND time I let a team down :-/
Dude, you have less then 300 games played. You're not allowed to claim that you have let your team down yet.. At least not for another 4k - 5k games... :p

Last edited:

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Playing that long at tier 1 isn't mentally healthy.

Its like 50 battles.

If you want precise values, check a camo calculator but as a rule of thumb, getting 60% camo will mean that enemies need to be 20m closer to spot you.

Saving up and getting some binocular telescopes will also give you a massive advantage.

TdC

yeah, them telescopes are what I am currently trying to go for. meh, I want SO MANY THINGS and the income is sloooooooow :-(

Lethul

FH is my second home
Once you reach T5 you can start doing Individual Missions for extra cash, T67 can do all TD missions until the last one so that is a good shout if you want it as a keeper

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Its like 50 battles.

Which is 49 too many.. :)

Seriously though, staying at t1 simply to farm camo xp is a waste of time as you have nothing else to gain from that tier. At t4+ you can at least start to work on playstyles for the different tank classes at the same time.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Which is 49 too many.. :)

Seriously though, staying at t1 simply to farm camo xp is a waste of time as you have nothing else to gain from that tier. At t4+ you can at least start to work on playstyles for the different tank classes at the same time.

What do you learn at T4+ with a 75% crew and no equipment? That you should have stayed at lower tiers and made some credits.

There is plenty of stuff to learn at T1:
You can learn the maps.
You can learn the spotting/camo mechanism.
You can learn about the capping mechanism.
You can learn about gun depression.
You can learn about rotating your camera to look round corners without your tank being shot.

TdC

Woo, it seems things are starting to look up. Ofc I lie and my last game was a total fluke. Anyways, I got 6 kills, Mastery 1 and some bling to hang on my chest. Vid coming up in a bit. 30 mins or so...

Lethul

FH is my second home
Woo, it seems things are starting to look up. Ofc I lie and my last game was a total fluke. Anyways, I got 6 kills, Mastery 1 and some bling to hang on my chest. Vid coming up in a bit. 30 mins or so...

Waiting! :)

I had a great session on Saturday, 17 wins and 7 losses (71% WR). I guess it will be balanced by a 40% session next time :)

TdC

Sorry, I am having trouble with shadowplay coupled with my editing software. I'll see if I can sort it tonight.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
What do you learn at T4+ with a 75% crew and no equipment? That you should have stayed at lower tiers and made some credits.

There is plenty of stuff to learn at T1:
You can learn the maps.
You can learn the spotting/camo mechanism.
You can learn about the capping mechanism.
You can learn about gun depression.
You can learn about rotating your camera to look round corners without your tank being shot.

You're asking for too much there mate. You can't learn any map in 50 games no matter how good you are. And since most maps are tier bound you won't see many (if any?) of the maps you played at t1 at t5 for example. You can't even learn the most important thing playing t1. Which is where to best go with what type of tanks, and why you should go there..

It's simply a LOT easier to learn by watching a few newbie guides on youtube... That's how i learned. And not having any equipment at t4 isn't such a drawback, mostly because when you're new you just don't have the player skills to go with a fully kitted out tank with 100% crew. The only difference is that you're probably gonna have most of your shots bounce instead of miss.. :)

Also t1 is a BAD place to farm credits on. You can only really do well if you play a certain tank and already HAVE all the necessary crew skills and equipments... And then you're a seal clubber...

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
You're asking for too much there mate. You can't learn any map in 50 games no matter how good you are. And since most maps are tier bound you won't see many (if any?) of the maps you played at t1 at t5 for example. You can't even learn the most important thing playing t1. Which is where to best go with what type of tanks, and why you should go there..

It's simply a LOT easier to learn by watching a few newbie guides on youtube... That's how i learned. And not having any equipment at t4 isn't such a drawback, mostly because when you're new you just don't have the player skills to go with a fully kitted out tank with 100% crew. The only difference is that you're probably gonna have most of your shots bounce instead of miss.. :)

Also t1 is a BAD place to farm credits on. You can only really do well if you play a certain tank and already HAVE all the necessary crew skills and equipments... And then you're a seal clubber...

I didn't say you could learn all of the things, simply that there is plenty of useful stuff to learn.

Also, they now separate out new players from older players (Somewhere between 100 and 1000 battles). So T1 is a good place to play whien you have just started as you will be up against complete beginners as well. I tried to play with my T1 czech tank recently and I waited 2+ minutes for it to match me into a battle because I can't be put up against newbies anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom