Windows 10 again

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I just don't like having things on my computer that I know I'll never use. It's like the bloat that carriers install on mobile phones, I hate it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its probably a couple of mb within your installation. Just delete the short cut and never worry about it again...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's basically the same as assigning one extension at a time in the settings screen. On previous versions of windows, I just ran the program for the first time, went to the program's settings and ticked all the ones I wanted to open with it in its own file extensions area, then it was done. There's still ways around it, just that windows 10 seems to have taken the quickest and least annoying option away.
I think the logic is good (the OS should handle this shit) but the fact you can't go to a dialogue in windows, tick 12 file types and go "open them all with this" is what's awful here. I'd prefer it if Apps didn't touch this shit, it's so annoying every time you use a particular application once in a while and it's like "pick me, pick me, i'll be your default"

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Found out why my Win 7 machine didn't get the update app. About a year ago I was having problems with the desktop (updates causing BSOD) and I took it to a repair place. Cunts have only overwritten my legit Windows with a bloody cracked copy haven't they? I'm going to have to do another reinstall using my original Win7 disk and then update to 10.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Can anyone explain this to me?
(google translated from Swedish)

The service net.tcp Listener adapter depends on the service net.tcp sharing service port. The latter could not start due to the following error:
The service can not be started. The reason is either that the service is disabled or because no enabled devices associated with it.

It's causing a new sort of BSOD (Kernel_Security_Check_Failure)..

How can i fix it? :(

It's the one thing that ruins the upgrade to 10 for me....

/edit: at least i think that's what's causing it. it's the earliest error in the event viewer....

/edit2 Sorry, latest error, i'm sleepy.. :/

Last edited:

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Can anyone explain this to me?
(google translated from Swedish)

It's causing a new sort of BSOD (Kernel_Security_Check_Failure)..

How can i fix it? :(

It's the one thing that ruins the upgrade to 10 for me....

/edit: at least i think that's what's causing it. it's the earliest error in the event viewer....

/edit2 Sorry, latest error, i'm sleepy.. :/
Can you post the swedish error report please?
Try and just start the net.tcp service? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms733925(v=VS.110).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Edit: After 2 minutes of reading - Looks like it's part of .net framework, try and reinstall that perhaps first before manually start a service that is stopped by default for security reasons :)

.net framework 4.6 available here (didn't find a version specifically for Windows 10) -
https://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/download/details.aspx?id=48130

Last edited:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Can you post the swedish error report please?
Try and just start the net.tcp service?

I will when/if it happens again because for some reason everything in the event viewer got erased once i'd closed it..... >.<

nope, 4.6 can't even install...

Det omdistribuerbara paketet för .NET Framework 4.6 gäller inte för det här operativsystemet.

Last edited:

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I will when/if it happens again because for some reason everything in the event viewer got erased once i'd closed it..... >.<

nope, 4.6 can't even install...
Ah, figures. Well, you have some earlier versions from the same download page further down, if it happens again try an older version like 4.5 or even 3.5. If all else fails, start the service manually.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yeah i tried the 4.5 but then i got the "a newer or same version is already installed" message.....

So how do i start it manually? And why don't the PC crash more often if that is what's causing it? I mean the crashes aren't consistent at all. Some days it's as if nothing is wrong while others i get 2 - 3 BSOD's a day...

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Yeah i tried the 4.5 but then i got the "a newer or same version is already installed" message.....

So how do i start it manually? And why don't the PC crash more often if that is what's causing it? I mean the crashes aren't consistent at all. Some days it's as if nothing is wrong while others i get 2 - 3 BSOD's a day...
You have to uninstall the previous installed version first before you install it again. So uninstall 4.5 and reinstall 4.5

Follow these instructions to start it manually https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms733925(v=VS.110).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Don't have much in ways of a theory to why it crashes, or why it's inconsistent.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I updated my old Vaio with W10, and all went well apart from two things:

- windows set my screen to 125% scaling, leaving me wondering why everything suddenly looked shite
- a service called IAStorDataMgrSvc went insane and kept trying to eat the entire CPU

the first one was fairly easy ofc: I just reset the scaling. the second one I had to google. the service is part of the Intel Rapid Storage thing that that particular Vaio uses to talk to the odd thing that Sony used as a disk in that particular lappy. Anyway, the service itself is something that passes messages from the disk driver to other things. I don't know why it was misbehaving, but I did find a lot of people on the interwebs complaining of the same issue as far back as 2013. The general cure seems to be "install the latest version" but in a pinch you can stop the service and set it to disabled. I did this and the laptop is now quiet again rather than trying to be a vaccum cleaner :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I wrote UIs that scaled to the native res to make the type more legible back in 1996. Get with the times cunts!! :eek:

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Should I upgrade?

Will shit break?

Am I just beta testing?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I wrote UIs that scaled to the native res to make the type more legible back in 1996. Get with the times cunts!! :eek:

given the really shite track record of scaling you'd think it really was the hardest thing in the world. I wouldn't know: I mostly write backend stuff that doesn't need UI :(

Gwadien

I did it.

Regret it.

Windows is capping my monitor resolution at 1280 x 1024, when I had it at 1920 x 1080 before.

Gwadien

Restarted it, now it's capping it even lower.

Fuck it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I did it.

Regret it.

Windows is capping my monitor resolution at 1280 x 1024, when I had it at 1920 x 1080 before.

I had a problem with NVIDIA drivers as someone else already mentioned. Used that driver uninstall tool malarky and reinstalled latest nvidia drivers for Win10. All is well now.

Gwadien

I had a problem with NVIDIA drivers as someone else already mentioned. Used that driver uninstall tool malarky and reinstalled latest nvidia drivers for Win10. All is well now.

Yeah, just booted Nvidia Experience up, and it instantly changed the resolution - No idea why it didn't auto start & update.

Almost as if Nvidia said fok off Microsoft, we're controlling what he sees now!

Although, you would have thought since and I quote 'NVIDIA has been working closely with Microsoft on the development of Windows 10 and DirextX 12.' that they would have auto upgraded your drivers when you loaded up Windows 10 - It's about time they make Windows retard proof - I know SO many people that never update their drivers.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Is there a way to disable Edge, I'm using IE 11 but if click a link from an email it keeps opening in Edge and its fucking annoying

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Change the default app in settings. Do it by protocol and find the HTTP and HTTPS ones and change them to IE or install a proper browser and use that instead.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ah FFS. Found my copy of Win7. Won't work because I've used all the installs up and it regards this PC as a fresh install. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Win8.1 (and pay for it) because you can't buy Win 7 keys anymore, and then upgrade to 10. Hardly seems worth it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ah FFS. Found my copy of Win7. Won't work because I've used all the installs up and it regards this PC as a fresh install. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Win8.1 (and pay for it) because you can't buy Win 7 keys anymore, and then upgrade to 10. Hardly seems worth it.
Can you not do the phone activation thing (when activating Windows 7) and say it's only installed on one computer? As long as it's a retail copy I was led to believe that you can install it on as many computers as you like. When you activate it it will automatically de-activate the previously active activated activation.

I had to do this because I upgraded 7 to 10 on the old hardware and then installed new hardware and it wouldn't let me activate 7 (I think because the 7 product key became useless as soon as I upgraded to 10) but the MS phone activation sorted it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Have you tried it? I ran out of uses on my Win7 license but had no problems upgrading (Whether I run into problems with later installs I don't know yet) Otherwise, give MS a ring and either go through the auto thing or speak to one of their drones, they are usually pretty good, to the point I don't know why thy bother putting a limit on it in the first place.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah, just booted Nvidia Experience up, and it instantly changed the resolution - No idea why it didn't auto start & update.

Almost as if Nvidia said fok off Microsoft, we're controlling what he sees now!

Although, you would have thought since and I quote 'NVIDIA has been working closely with Microsoft on the development of Windows 10 and DirextX 12.' that they would have auto upgraded your drivers when you loaded up Windows 10 - It's about time they make Windows retard proof - I know SO many people that never update their drivers.
Open device manager, find your gpu, right click & do update driver.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Change the default app in settings. Do it by protocol and find the HTTP and HTTPS ones and change them to IE or install a proper browser and use that instead.
Thank you, and I thought I would get the whole 'use a proper browser....' but I think FF is too slow and Chrome is to full of shit for me to spend time going through it and customising it.

Besides, I like IE. So.....ner ner!!

*but thanks for the default tip though*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom