Windows 10 again

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I can no longer right click to gain a context menu over tabs on the taskbar. I have to open the window and click the x in the top right corner. This is annoying, anyone got a fix?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
All the error codes are awesome, because they help identify the specific problem. The solution might not be as easy all the time. For your specific error here's Microsoft's assessment: :upyours:
More info (Sort of): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj569891(v=vs.85).aspx
My tip: Update every driver you can find.
Can't find a definitive solution to the problem (yet) though :(

Well it looks like it's sorted now. Had one or two more BSOD´s shortly after my last post but none at all for the past week. Maybe one of Microsofts patches sorted it, but hell if i know because they refuse to say what the patches actually do..

Oh well whatever, don't really care as long as it stopped...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Moved off Edge on to Chrome, Edge had a bit of a habit of freezing at times and in places was a little to simple.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Moved off Edge on to Chrome, Edge had a bit of a habit of freezing at times and in places was a little to simple.
FF>Chrome.

Not bothered trying Edge tbh. Looks quick and simple but still love FF.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well I have an actual Win 10 product key now, which is nice. I changed out my motherboard again and was expecting to have to reinstall 7, do all the updates and then install 10 on top and then reinstall 10 to get a nice clean install on the new hardware but it booted straight into the Windows install I had previously. They are very similar motherboards (both Asus X99) so I guess a lot of the bits are the same. Anyway, Windows told me it wasn't activated but I went on the live chat thing and someone called Fema did some stuff, I gave him/her my Win 7 product key and he/she gave me a 10 one. Good times, happy days, etc...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Finally got it installed and everything legit yesterday. Crashed twice so far :( It definitely doesn't play nice with Chrome, Edge is OK but has niggles (just moving the browser window around seems to be an issue, not easily dragged), so I may have to switch to FF.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Ah FFS. Found my copy of Win7. Won't work because I've used all the installs up and it regards this PC as a fresh install. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Win8.1 (and pay for it) because you can't buy Win 7 keys anymore, and then upgrade to 10. Hardly seems worth it.
Call MS and they will sort it for you. Had something similar and they unblocked it their end so I could install again.

Edit: ah, was too late... you already purchased 8.1 and did the upgrade

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
So, i am on win7 at the moment and i have been tempted to upgrade, but is it worth it yet?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
It's much better than Win7 imo. Just a little thing, but file transfer for example on USB 3.0 now works properly, doesn't speed up then stop in the middle etc etc. Lots of little things I like.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
In anticipation for my new laptop hard drive I am going to create a Windows 10 disk to install on it. So I got the media creation tool and then it asks which version of Windows 10 you want to create, how the fuck are you meant to know? I don't know what version Windows 8 this bastard is on.

Does that program tell you, you know that one that also gets you the serial number from the BIOS, the program that I can't remember the name of?

I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, possibly the same as @TdC and @Deebs if that helps find out.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I can no longer right click to gain a context menu over tabs on the taskbar. I have to open the window and click the x in the top right corner. This is annoying, anyone got a fix?
Hover the mouse over the icon when the preview pops up you can right click on that and get a context menu.

soze

I am a FH squatter
In anticipation for my new laptop hard drive I am going to create a Windows 10 disk to install on it. So I got the media creation tool and then it asks which version of Windows 10 you want to create, how the fuck are you meant to know? I don't know what version Windows 8 this bastard is on.

Does that program tell you, you know that one that also gets you the serial number from the BIOS, the program that I can't remember the name of?

I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, possibly the same as @TdC and @Deebs if that helps find out.
You can type wmic bios get serialnumber in at the command prompt to get your serial number. And typing wmic os get caption will tell you what version you are running.

Trem

You can type wmic bios get serialnumber in at the command prompt to get your serial number. And typing wmic os get caption will tell you what version you are running.
Cheers chum, it just said Windows 8.1 :( I mean how do I know which Windows 10 I am entitled to as an upgrade from whatever version of 8 I'm on?

Trem

So it seems I am on just normal Windows 8 that's why it just says Windows 8.1. I found another way which said mine was the Core Edition -

The only way to check your windows version is to open cmd.exe and type:

slmgr.vbs /dli/

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
chumlar you may want to hold off with the W10 install on the Yoga Pro 2: mine has a very odd issue with the gfx driver where the screen will "judder" from side to side, cause artifacts and / or will cut off and on again for up to a minute. It can be fine for days and then suddenly have a couple hours where it does this every couple of minutes. funny thing is that it immediately stops when I move the mouse.

Trem

chumlar you may want to hold off with the W10 install on the Yoga Pro 2: mine has a very odd issue with the gfx driver where the screen will "judder" from side to side, cause artifacts and / or will cut off and on again for up to a minute. It can be fine for days and then suddenly have a couple hours where it does this every couple of minutes. funny thing is that it immediately stops when I move the mouse.
Oh, thats put an end to that idea then. Thanks for the heads up @TdC, nice clean install of Windows 8 then. I wonder if Deebface has upgraded his to W10 yet and if he's having issues.

TdC

There seems to be a BIOS update that deals with this crap. I've updated, but since the issue is so unpredictable, I can't comment on it being a success yet.

TdC

I noticed it happen again yesterday evening. That said, compared to the before-BIOS-flash situation it was very brief, like the screen just "reset" itself or something, active->blank->active. Before the BIOS flash, it would randomly start to go in to that cycle of flashing for anything up to a minute or more. I actually have a MOV of it doing it on my phone and my colleague asked me if my laptop was broken :-/

Trem

I noticed it happen again yesterday evening. That said, compared to the before-BIOS-flash situation it was very brief, like the screen just "reset" itself or something, active->blank->active. Before the BIOS flash, it would randomly start to go in to that cycle of flashing for anything up to a minute or more. I actually have a MOV of it doing it on my phone and my colleague asked me if my laptop was broken :-/
Well I am right now on the Lenovo site looking for said BIOS and what the fuck have they done? Can you not actually download anything anymore without installing this Lenovo Support Bridge bollocks? No individual downloads I could see anyway.

What a crock of shit mate :( the bloody new HD is out for delivery today as well, I do need it for the extra space but might leave it sat in a drawer until this is fixed. Might search for modded BIOS or something :/

Edit - I know you will of searched chumski but have a look here, there is a link provided in it to a claimed solution - https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/3iq5u0/yoga_2_pro_fix_for_screen_flashing_under_windows/

(link lower down, fourth link......I think)

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My PC is having persistent graphics driver reset issues since I upgraded (looking on the nvidia forums I'm not unique but no-one is responding on a fix) and a BSOD every other day. Fucked basically.

Trem

Right, I aren't going to fucking bother then. MS aren't exactly shouting from the rooftops about these issues are they? Windows 8 didn't have such problems with drivers did it? AFAIK people raved about how good it dealt with hardware installation.

Wank :eek:

TdC

Hey guys, this afternoon I did do a clean gfxdriver install off of the Intel site for the Intel gfx for the Y2P's i7, and since then I've not had the issue occur. That said, because the thing is so random, it could happen...like whenever so I'll not claim it's sorted till at least a week has gone by.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Seventeen minutes though, not bad. :)

I make that 0.1686508% of your target time. :(

TdC

oh, I have another thing that took me a couple hours. You'll be pleased I basically frittered my day away doing something stupid :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom