TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no. it's acutally something I'm suppsed to be good at :-(

all working now though, thanks to a brainwave about 5 minutes ago :eek:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh, thats put an end to that idea then. Thanks for the heads up @TdC, nice clean install of Windows 8 then. I wonder if Deebface has upgraded his to W10 yet and if he's having issues.
Nope, not touching Windoze 10 just yet. Want to make sure all the drivers are fully tested.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think Windows 10 will be free eventually and all of this is just trying to hurry people along.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think Windows 10 will be free eventually and all of this is just trying to hurry people along.

Nah, I think they'll add features every few years that they can charge a small fee for.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Nah, I think they'll add features every few years that they can charge a small fee for.
I think the OS at least the home versions will be free. Then they will charge for services like OneDrive and Office and tie you into that. £9 a month for office and 1TB of OneDrive and just sting people that way.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Nope, not touching Windoze 10 just yet. Want to make sure all the drivers are fully tested.

Unless you use some fairly legacy stuff, for example because of work, I think this is not of any concern.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am thinking about rolling my Work machine back. Something is not right on it but I can not put my finger on what. But the most annoying thing is when dragging Windows between screens the Window does not move until the 2nd or 3rd click of the mouse. It is not like that on my Laptop or Desktop at home. I have read in a few places that this is a graphics issue so I have tried a few different drivers but other places are reporting that the machine is just too old.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Unless you use some fairly legacy stuff, for example because of work, I think this is not of any concern.
There is bad things going on with our poota and windows 10 though (teed, deeb and me all have the Yoga Pro 2)

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
There is bad things going on with our poota and windows 10 though (teed, deeb and me all have the Yoga Pro 2)
Yes, special laptops are an exception. That problem however is the manufacturer's own non-standard features.
My Surface Pro 3 (Microsoft and all :D) had issues for the first week or so, until a sound driver was updated.

I was referring to your regular desktop PC.

TdC

TREM! I found out what it was mate! The f*****g Intel driver for the screen had reset itself from my settings to a thing where it *automatically* does brightness AND faffs with the refresh rate to "conserve battery life". I turned that shit off, and it hasn't gone haywire since!

So, go in to Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Energy and turn off Automatic Refresh rate, Conserve Battery when playing games and Energy-saving Technology

Note I did translate the names of the things from Ye olde Netherlandish, they may have other names in Southern Scottish.

Trem

Cheers Northern Englander.

It is one of my first jobs after a format though, you know, turning off adaptive brightness bollocks and all that but maybe I would of missed it.

I may do it today then because the fucking side bar thing on doze 8 gets on my tits every time you slightly touch the right of the mouse pad.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just had a couple of new laptops delivered from Lenovo; a gaming laptop for me and college machine for the missus. Not sure whether to put 10 on or not, especially on the gaming machine; the nvidia display driver was a disaster when I upgraded my old desktop and this new machine has nvidia graphics as well. #nervous

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I just put 10 on my NUC Plex machine as a last resort and it's all good.

@DaGaffer make an image of the laptop's existing system partition before you commence (if you have some hard drive space laying around on a NAS or something). I would always use that to revertrather than using Windows 10's "roll back" thing, especially if there's a problem with the install.

Trem

I've done it today and all is fine (Yoga Pro 2). @TdC those settings you spoke of I had already done from before lover, I also remember telling you to do it for extra face burning brightness but as always you must of ignored me :eek: (although thinking about it you did say above the settings reset themselves but I'm still going to say you ignored me :eek: ).

It's no big upgrade from what I can see so far, it is fucking heavenly not having the bastard side bar pop up every nano seconds because I breathed on the trackpad though, that's an upgrade worth mentioning for me.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've got a Windows 10 download ready to go, but I've got some pre-reqs first:

1) get a new SSD for windows / apps
2) probably get a new standard HD for documents

Is there any way to "transfer" this downloaded Windows 10 stuff onto a USB so I can easily install it?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If you used the proper Windows download tool then there's an option to create installation media (a USB stick or a CD) with the downloaded files. If you didn't, and you just have the ESD file (in C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources iirc), you can convert it to an ISO and then use Rufus or something to make a bootable USB stick from that ISO and then boot from that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I just did the 1511 update. How fucking dare it reset all my default application settings back to Microsoft's offerings. :eek:

TdC

I just did the 1511 update. How fucking dare it reset all my default application settings back to Microsoft's offerings. :eek:

aha bastard! I *knew* something had gone all weird with my computer :eek:

Also, the recent Nvidia driver update once again turned SLI off, and the update on my laptop turned the "automatic refresh and colour gubbins" on and caused my screen to fuck up again :eek:

*rage*

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
aha bastard! I *knew* something had gone all weird with my computer :eek:

Also, the recent Nvidia driver update once again turned SLI off, and the update on my laptop turned the "automatic refresh and colour gubbins" on and caused my screen to fuck up again :eek:

*rage*
I get that with every NVidia install, it's annoying as hell.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Anyone else having problems with the newest build of windows 10? It auto updated my computer while I was using it and now won't boot up. I'm currently doing a go back to previous build process but I think that has crashed too.

I didn't even ask for this update and now it is a mess. Help!

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
The rollback to previous version worked but there's no option to turn windows update off and I don't even know what caused the crash in the update.

TdC

these days you're only allowed to turn off autoupdate if you're an enterprise.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Wow that sucks. Then they should extend the testing phase of an update before rolling it out as breaking someone's computer due to an update and figuring out how to fix it is not fun. I have no doubt this is going to happen again as I can't turn the updates off.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Anyone else have a massive update last night, it's taking ages to set itself up. Loads of onscreen messages about new features and bollocks

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think you're a bit slow (unless there's another big update). I had it a few weeks ago. I don't like that Windows 10 changes things for no obvious reason. Today, it deleted the "This PC" shortcut from the desktop.

Syri

FH is my second home
There was a big update in November, but it started breaking things on some systems, so they stopped the rollout. I guess they started rolling it out again now. I barely noticed any changes, apart from it re-installing a load of crap that was pre-installed and had already been removed as I had no use for it... Why they thought I might suddenly want that crap I removed I do not know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom