TOA Dungeon Booking Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Motowntheta

I suppose we should start the discussion now as it's going to degenerate into flames and personal attacks anyway ;)

Y

Yussef

ToA Patchday: Invite only raid for Prydwen members to all zones, nobody from Exc please!

B

bob007

Wonder how many will still be playing then. WoW could be out then, I suspect a large drop in active numbers at this time. Might not be enougth on server to run 1 :p

A

Arkian

Originally posted by bob007
Wonder how many will still be playing then. WoW could be out then, I suspect a large drop in active numbers at this time. Might not be enougth on server to run 1 :p

Aye, because Blizzard will make WoW oh so absolutely perfect like every other MMORPG company over the past five years or so has been unable to do, and there will be no zerging or cheating and everything will be perfectly balanced. [/sarcasm]

I really feel sorry for Blizzard atm, because they probably will get a lot of people moving over from DAoC with massive expectations, who will kick them in the nuts at the first signs of failing to meet them :(

C

Coim-

Originally posted by Arkian
Aye, because Blizzard will make WoW oh so absolutely perfect like every other MMORPG company over the past five years or so has been unable to do, and there will be no zerging or cheating and everything will be perfectly balanced. [/sarcasm]

I really feel sorry for Blizzard atm, because they probably will get a lot of people moving over from DAoC with massive expectations, who will kick them in the nuts at the first signs of failing to meet them :(
Blizzard games > all. I have complete faith in them that it'll be uber. :p

T

Tharion

Originally posted by Coim-

We can allways hope so

R

Ravell

I dont see what this fuss is about WoW. Can you yourself runnning around with a sword thats twice your own size.

Its a cartoon version of Daoc. How can you even take anyone serious in a game like that?

Blizzard makes good games, thats for sure. Turn off ur brain and play some WC3. Uber characters with glowy gigantic swords.

As far as i know, Blizzard never had any MMORPG, so how much experience do they have there? Do they have what it takes to make you sit infront of ur screen all day, spending every waking moment in the game? (I dont do that in daoc, but still... :)

They make great single-player and 8-player games, as for MMORPG, i seriously doubt they can make enough depth in the game for it to catch on. Once the "omg blizzard's wc3 comes as a mmorpg" effect is over, i think it will die down, if they cant make it any deeper than Warcraft 3 and similar Blizzard games.

Anyways, Im really looking forward to TOA, and I have yet to see a MMORPG thats better than Daoc when it comes to depth and variety.

I will not be playing WoW for sure. If i want to play cartoon characters ill play some WC3 online.

Tired of all this WoW talks.. You all play Daoc and im sure you are very satisfied with it when it comes down to it. You care enough about it to visit Forums about the game.

- Grumpy mode off - :)

T

thorwyntf

Blizzard games > all.

Yeah.. I think you´re right there. Blizzard ruleZ and pwns and everything. They´re teh Law. And fyi they sure know how to make games and stuff imo.

/sacrasm

C

Coim-

Originally posted by thorwyntf
Yeah.. I think you´re right there. Blizzard ruleZ and pwns and everything. They´re teh Law. And fyi they sure know how to make games and stuff imo.

/sacrasm
Never seen a horribly bad Blizzard game yet. :eek:

A

Arkian

Never seen a horribly bad Blizzard game yet. :eek:

Agreed Warcraft & Starcraft are great games, even Diablo I & II to some extent, but it's a damn sight easier to make a balanced game with only 2 or 3 sides and a limited choice of units.

I don't think people really appreciate how hard it would be to make a truely balanced game with 20+ character classes and hundreds of spec/item combinations, and then trying to give it the longevity to make people play day in day out for 2+ years.

It's just that it's always been the way with MMORPGs everybody bitches constantly about the one they've played to death, and say oooow game XYZ will be UBER and we should all rush off and play it. Then the game comes out, people play it a lot discover the bugs/balance issues/cheating etc, then start to bitch about that game while waiting for game ABC that truely will be their saviour.

Expectations>>All

D

Draylor

People conveniently choose to forget Blizzard's disgraceful record when it comes to the various cheats/exploits for their online games.

Unless they improve ALOT with that WoW will be a complete disaster.

O

old.Gombur Glodson

WoW hasnt even started beta yet ;o

Don't think you should worry about WoW being released the same time as ToA ^^

B

Bellona

ye... my experiences from playing diablo online doesnt make me :clap: my hands about blizzard...

and daoc is imo the best mmorpg around atm.

but please will so many people leave daoc that we can go away from zerging and back to fg vs fg all day, everywhere :D

O

old.Darkan

Originally posted by Ravell
I dont see what this fuss is about WoW. Can you yourself runnning around with a sword thats twice your own size.

Its a cartoon version of Daoc. How can you even take anyone serious in a game like that?

Blizzard makes good games, thats for sure. Turn off ur brain and play some WC3. Uber characters with glowy gigantic swords.

As far as i know, Blizzard never had any MMORPG, so how much experience do they have there? Do they have what it takes to make you sit infront of ur screen all day, spending every waking moment in the game? (I dont do that in daoc, but still... :)

They make great single-player and 8-player games, as for MMORPG, i seriously doubt they can make enough depth in the game for it to catch on. Once the "omg blizzard's wc3 comes as a mmorpg" effect is over, i think it will die down, if they cant make it any deeper than Warcraft 3 and similar Blizzard games.

Anyways, Im really looking forward to TOA, and I have yet to see a MMORPG thats better than Daoc when it comes to depth and variety.

I will not be playing WoW for sure. If i want to play cartoon characters ill play some WC3 online.

Tired of all this WoW talks.. You all play Daoc and im sure you are very satisfied with it when it comes down to it. You care enough about it to visit Forums about the game.

- Grumpy mode off - :)

Just after Warcraft 2 came out, there was talk of an RPG Warcraft, Day of the Tentacle style thingy basically, loads of content etc, so I doubt your observations are correct m8 :)

I remember reading a pc zone article about it, think it was maybe even called World of Warcraft, but not sure on that

Y

Yussef

Nope, was a tale about some orc who tried uniting some clans or something. Got canned, various elements got introduced into WC3

S

specialdave

Lets not forget that 6 or so months ago these boards were full of prophecies that SWG would come and be uber, etc .... and that noone would be playing DAoC anymore.

Well, does not really seem to have panned out that way, so I doubt WoW will make any major difference unless it can live up to the hype.

S

Sibanac

I got a feeling WoW wont be out withing a year. Blizzard's track record for release dates is a disaster and its probly fair to say they never had a project this size.
Preorder wow now get is for x-mas 2004

T

thorwyntf

Never seen a horribly bad Blizzard game yet.

[rant]

Blizzard has made exactly two original and good games: Warcraft and Diablo. That´s what they deserve credits for. Everything else they made was reinventing the wheel.
Diablo 2 (running in 640/480 at a time, where GF3 cards were about standard.. think about it) was (and is) popular because Blizzard managed to dump millions of dollars into the BattleNet. Without the BattleNet, D2 would have died after a couple of months. By spending all the money, Blizzard basically made it impossible to compete with D2 unless the developers of another product were willing to dump and equal ammount of money into a platform like the BNet. A better product alone wasn´t enough.
Blizzard is wasting millions of dollars for their (btw. fantastic) videos. Their videos are almost as expensive as the rest of their games. If we had just 1/10 of the resources and manpower of Blizzard, I´m sure we could produce better games than they do.
WC3 had the most ridiculous 3D engine I`ve ever seen. The player could turn the camera 45 degrees to both sides and about 30 degrees up and down. Yay! The 3D had absolutely no influence on the gameplay whatsoever except that it made the game look like Disneyland. That´s where 60+ artists were working on for like 3 years.
Gamebalance and bugfree-ness: yeah, Blizzard games are mostly bugfree and balanced (well.. mostly. balancing a critical class in the first patch after release isn´t exactly "balanced" but ok). I`ll give them that. But again.. when a company has oodles and oodles of uncontrolled ammounts of money, they just *can* afford to beta their games for half a year. The normal process is, that the publisher of a game wants to make as much money as possible, forcing the developers to go gold way too early. THAT`s how 99,9% of all games are being made.
So, to sum it up: Blizzard is all about money. They´re spending endless tons of money to camouflage, that they´re games are lacking creativity and innovation and are basically just clones of their big success-titles in the 90ies.

[/rant]

phew... had to get this off my chest, sorry :)

O

Oven

Originally posted by thorwyntf
[rant]

Blizzard has made exactly two original and good games: Warcraft and Diablo. That´s what they deserve credits for. Everything else they made was reinventing the wheel.
Diablo 2 (running in 640/480 at a time, where GF3 cards were about standard.. think about it) was (and is) popular because Blizzard managed to dump millions of dollars into the BattleNet. Without the BattleNet, D2 would have died after a couple of months. By spending all the money, Blizzard basically made it impossible to compete with D2 unless the developers of another product were willing to dump and equal ammount of money into a platform like the BNet. A better product alone wasn´t enough.
Blizzard is wasting millions of dollars for their (btw. fantastic) videos. Their videos are almost as expensive as the rest of their games. If we had just 1/10 of the resources and manpower of Blizzard, I´m sure we could produce better games than they do.
WC3 had the most ridiculous 3D engine I`ve ever seen. The player could turn the camera 45 degrees to both sides and about 30 degrees up and down. Yay! The 3D had absolutely no influence on the gameplay whatsoever except that it made the game look like Disneyland. That´s where 60+ artists were working on for like 3 years.
Gamebalance and bugfree-ness: yeah, Blizzard games are mostly bugfree and balanced (well.. mostly. balancing a critical class in the first patch after release isn´t exactly "balanced" but ok). I`ll give them that. But again.. when a company has oodles and oodles of uncontrolled ammounts of money, they just *can* afford to beta their games for half a year. The normal process is, that the publisher of a game wants to make as much money as possible, forcing the developers to go gold way too early. THAT`s how 99,9% of all games are being made.
So, to sum it up: Blizzard is all about money. They´re spending endless tons of money to camouflage, that they´re games are lacking creativity and innovation and are basically just clones of their big success-titles in the 90ies.

[/rant]

phew... had to get this off my chest, sorry :)
I still think they rock :p

But wasn't this about TOA dungeons? Damn you all for going off topic :eek:

P

Powahhh

start loosing your faith.....
bill roper and some others have quit blizzard....bill is responsible for the great games but now....?
i had faith on bill not blizzard......
a lot said about his quit.......
and just to notice you one thing guys so do not forget that....
the company that command mythic is the same company that command blizzard.....will you guys think that they gonna kick their own game?
IMO the blizzard and WoW will be here just to kick everquest.....this means massive pve....
ToA is to hit SwG (not bad though....SwG proved BS)
WoW is to Hit Eq
it is a marketing war
sony against (well i always forget the other company...:p)
welcome to the

Dark Age Of Marketing
:p

M

Motowntheta

Originally posted by Oven
I still think they rock :p

But wasn't this about TOA dungeons? Damn you all for going off topic :eek:

No sorry I actually set this thread up to dupe Thor into a rant :)

O

old.Kian

Originally posted by Powahhh
start loosing your faith.....
and just to notice you one thing guys so do not forget that....
the company that command mythic is the same company that command blizzard.....will you guys think that they gonna kick their own game?
IMO the blizzard and WoW will be here just to kick everquest.....this means massive pve....
ToA is to hit SwG (not bad though....SwG proved BS)
WoW is to Hit Eq
it is a marketing war
sony against (well i always forget the other company...:p)
welcome to the

Dark Age Of Marketing
:p

Check your facts - no company 'commands' Mythic OR Blizzard. They may have the same publisher, but both companies are financially secure enough that they can sustain development out of their own pockets and make the contract with the publisher on their own terms (a rare state of affairs for games developers, and a reason that a lot of games get released in horribly buggy and unfinished states - when the publisher's accountants hold the whip hand, they want to see the return on investment ASAP). Both companies have the luxury of making the game THEY want to make... it's just that to keep that independence it had better turn out to be the game WE want to play :)

As for booking ToA dungeons - I've no idea if any of them have sidi's unique respawn timer (which is why there's a sidi booking sheet). What I HAVE heard is that each master level requires completing a whole series of quests - some soloable, some of which require a full-on zerg a la Ogre's Might. I can see a lot of threads here arranging the latter type of quest. I'm also looking forward to seeing the likes of Nolby Pride (who whine endlessly about 'roleplayers' and people who do PvE) condemned to lengthy PvE quests if they want the master levels to make themselves more uber in Emain :)

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by bob007

People said that about SWG I saw no significant drop in numbers, some form the guild left, as it happens almost all that left have given it up already, some obviously still play it.

It was said in these forums that it would be the end of DAOC yet its still ticking over.

O

old.Kian

Originally posted by quinthar
People said that about SWG I saw no significant drop in numbers, some form the guild left, as it happens almost all that left have given it up already, some obviously still play it.

It was said in these forums that it would be the end of DAOC yet its still ticking over.

As was also said (in Europe and/or US forums) about EVE, Planetside and Shadowbane... anyone notice a pattern yet? :)

Q

qyrf

yup we loose players each time a new game comes, a few comes back to daoc, rest is gone for good!

G

Gordonax

Originally posted by qyrf
yup we loose players each time a new game comes, a few comes back to daoc, rest is gone for good!

And yet the server population doesn't go down. So who cares if a few people leave?

G

Gordonax

And to return to the topic... does anyone know if the ToA dungeon is going to be like Sidi (on a long respawn timer), or like a regular dungeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread