ToA interview

O

old.Ramas

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/437/437791p1.html

Note espeicially comments on H/Ogre stats.

When we first started designing Trials of Atlantis, we looked at each Realm and tried to find a new race that fits a niche there - basically finding stat and size combinations that don't yet exist there. The Half Ogre fits the "strong but very slow and not dextrous" stat combo that didn't yet exist in Albion, with the additional twist that they have a slightly above average intelligence (from their Avalonian ancestors).

Reading bewteen the lines, and assuming Mythic stick to the rule of the 5 important stats summing to 300, H/Ogre stats seem likely to be...

STR 75
CON 75
DEX 40
QUI 40
INT 70

My reasoning is....

1) INT at 'above average' is probably going to be 70.
2) STR/CON will be higher than highlander STR/CON.
3) No stat is likely to lower than 40.

Hurrah.

This is a good thing, because with these stats I see no good argument for selecting H/Ogre for any class with the possible exception of slash or crush mercenary.

:)

(I see this as a good thing due to my general dislike of non-human races being put in alb.)

Briton 4 teh win!!

L

loxleyhood

Ogre Pole Arsman, roooooooaaaaaaaar!

Ogre infiltrattors! :D

K

Kagato.

Yeah nice one Mythic, now all existing hard hitting tanks will be made redundant. whats the point in having highlanders anymore?

L

loxleyhood

Originally posted by Kagato.
Yeah nice one Mythic, now all existing hard hitting tanks will be made redundant. whats the point in having highlanders anymore?

A highlander thrust pole will be better than an ogre one when you take dex into the equation.

A highlander paladin will also be better than an ogre one. (s/s, of course)

L

loxleyhood

Originally posted by yurka_polearm
all poles are pure str

That I did not know.

But you could also argue that all Avalonians are redundant because Inconnu make better casters plus have better resists, yet it hasn't made much a difference.

O

old.Ramas

whats the point in having highlanders anymore?

Highlanders would make better Armsmen (with the possible exception of pure pole - but even that is arguable), Reavers, Paladins, Thrust Mercs, Clerics, Minstrels, and Scouts than H/Ogres would with these stats imo.

Other than that no point at all I guess.

We're talking about gaining 5 STR points worth of weaponskill for 20 DEX/QUI pts worth of defensive skill modifier, and (for those who don't go as far as to take no +qui items for first swing stye damage) 10 QUI points of haste.

EDIT: and if this is desirable and does make highlanders obelete why was everyone starting with +10 STR/CON/DEX instead of +15 STR / +10CON? ;)

O

old.Ramas

you could also argue that all Avalonians are redundant because Inconnu make better casters plus have better resists, yet it hasn't made much a difference.

IMO.

Who the hell would want to play a race that appears to be an alien-fish-insect-smurf-Christopher Lee crossbreed?

That's what stops avalonians being redundant.

I

ilienwyn

Tbh simply for rp reasons i don't think half ogres paladins will be possible. Although that could be told for saracen too but nm.
Imho make half ogres like trolls, who cares about high int...

K

Kagato.

+Strength and con if Ramas's table is accurate. And you do see far more Innconu casters these days. Apart from the draw back of looking god damn ugly, which wont stop the l33t kids, highlanders will be made redundant. These half-ogres are not filling the so called gap mythic seems to think we pocess.

I'd of prefered it if they just boosted the stats on existing races anyway, to bring them in line with the ones introduced with SI, whom had superier base resists to start with too. The whole concept of the half-ogres is just ludicrous, no one wants them ugly lugs walking around the realm, it was bad enough with the damn short-arsed blue aliens, and come on, ogres breeding with avalonions? did they actually think about what there suggesting?

B

bugg3h

I think a more worrying question would be, how did the Avalonians mate with Ogres ?

Its like the Honeymonster having sex with Jimmy Krankie.

Fandabidozi

O

old.Ramas

Tbh simply for rp reasons i don't think half ogres paladins will be possible.

As I understand it, Ogres are generally considered 'good' in DAoC.

It's giants that are bad.

This started with the original Dartmoor storyline, which has 'ogres good', 'granite giants bad'.

As they moved deeper into Dartmoor, it became immediately obvious that the giant they fought was neither unique nor alone. What had previously been mistaken for giant rocks seemed to come alive with movement. Trying to avoid the behemoths (though some fights were unavoidable), the group found themselves in a giant granite quarry surrounded by a group of ogre-like creatures. Surprisingly, they didn’t attack the party. In a limited, barbaric grasp of the Briton language, the ogres claimed to be the Stonecrush Clan. They mined and ate granite, which angered the granite giants to no end. It was obvious that there had been some hostilities between the giants and the ogres, and the Stonecrush Clan considered Sir Arward’s group as friends since they had fought and killed giants.

If you listen to the various NPCs and read the mission text, you also find that the only reason the SI Thrawn ogres are aggressive is that most of them are all pissed at the humans for not pulling our weight vs Morgana, and some of the others are part of a magic cult.

So, I'd expect any of the fighter or elementalist classes (though possibly not reaver for story reasons), plus cleric to be open to H/Ogres.

P

Pin

As pointed out above, there would be no reason to roll Highlander if those were the stats. Highlander would not be better for an Armsman, or for any other tank class really.

What I'd expect is that Str be higher, and possibly have Con lower.

Maybe even:

Str 90
Con 60
Dex 40
Qui 40
Int 70

Then there would still be 1 reason to have a Highlander.

although wtf the point of the Int would be, I don't know. Except to remove some 'unwanted' stat to make em hit harder ;)

I

Ialkarn

I don't undestand why albion have to whine when they are giving us love.
Half Ogres gonna be better tanks than Highlanders? that dosen't make them weaker.
It was such a shame to have not decent tank races compared to firbolgs and Trolls.
chars whit low quickness and hight strenght.

M

Moody

For stats on the half ogre, we only need to look at the Firbolg. Mythic won't invent the warm water again. This means stats like Pin said. high str, but con like a celt or briton. and instead of high empathy, higher than average intelligence.

Now if they would change the higher int to higher piety. That would make an impact. Albion has quite a lot of chars using piety, but no race with base pie higher than another, the thing which makes Firbolgs first choice when playing a naturalist.

H

hotrat

One reason you don't see many inconnu casters is because they cannot become elementalists (wizard/theurgist).
I suspect this new race will be able to become and elementalist but not a mage(sorc/caba).

But why anyone would want a caster with such low dexterity I have no idea.

In order to make them good at being casters and tanks they would have to have high int, high dex, high str and low qui, maybe a bit lower con.

80 str
50 con
60 dex
40 qui
70 int

maybe, or maybe it will be like Pin said in which case they will be tank only cus 40 dex is way too low for a caster.

Kinda sux for elementalists though cus they missed out on inconnu which is a very nice caster race.

O

old.Ramas

Now if they would change the higher int to higher piety. That would make an impact. Albion has quite a lot of chars using piety, but no race with base pie higher than another, the thing which makes Firbolgs first choice when playing a naturalist.

It is possible they will even give +10 PIE and +10 INT. On the grounds that no class finds both useful. That would open up a half chance that Reavers and Clerics would consider H/Ogres, though personally with low DEX/QUI I doubt it. It's a reasonable argument to make that for a cleric DEX is actually *more* important than PIE, since your role is reactionary.

Str 90
Con 60
Dex 40
Qui 40
Int 70

Possible, and I guess I only suggested increased CON because I have a hard time thinking of an Ogre as easier to kill than a Highlander. That said, they are supposed to be part avalonian.

And with these stats I guess we get a more obvious split of desirable class-race combinations....

I'd say...

2H tank offensive specced tank (who doesn't mind not parrying ever) : Ogre
Anything with a shield : Highlander or Briton

Mercs would presumably split with Thurst mercs all going highlander/briton, and Slash/crush Mercs being a toss up between Ogre and highlander.

M

medowind

Give
/respec race
/respec start points
/respec class (ok ignore that one :p )

trails is the last dieing cry of daoc, at lest give it a shot

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I can't imagine they will let ogres become paladins or clerics. For that reason Highlanders will still be useful...so to speak.

O

old.Ramas

trails is the last dieing cry of daoc, at lest give it a shot

Hmm, funny, because in the past, DF, BGs, RAs, Spellcrafting, SI, /level, Housing, and countless nerfs or class improvements have all been 'the last dieing cry of daoc'.

Yet it doesn't appear to have blinked out of existence yet.

Nor do server populations appear to be dropping despite the best efforts of GOA.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by yurka_polearm
all poles are pure str

there's some evidence to say dex affects thrust weapon damage, but it needs testing :) best to assume otherwise till proven though :)

Now take a look in krondon for classes:

there's 2h ogre fighers..

ogre clerics.. (Thrawn Ogre Lareons)

ogre friars (Thrawn Ogre Sceaweres, and Drihten Elrehden) though with low dex they'll be somewhat cack ;)

and Thrawn Ogre Abrecan Mages :)

D

Draylor

Originally posted by Kagato.
You really thing the likely 10-15 additional str will make that much difference?

Have inconnus made every briton/saracen/avalonian sorc unwanted or useless?

Not really

Its a nice little bonus for newly made characters, but nothing huge. More variety in race (and look) of chars isnt a bad thing at all.

P

Puppetmistress

Originally posted by loxleyhood

But you could also argue that all Avalonians are redundant because Inconnu make better casters plus have better resists, yet it hasn't made much a difference.

Because Inconnu's cannot become wizards and theurgists this isn't correct.

Also Avalonians are still more intelligent then Inconnu's (but overall important stats the Inconnu wins over Avalonian for a caster).

P

Puppetmistress

My guess (since everybody is making guesses about the stats):

STR 80
CON 80
DEX 35
QUI 35
INT 70

ok, that's my wish :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom