Some statistics on US servers

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
People on US servers are beginning to ding 60 and while the first to cap was troll rogue, I noticed a somewhat disturbing trend - only 5 of the top 25 levellers were Horde characters.

Now, there are rumors around, about Alliance being easier to level. While that ma be true for some quests and up to level 20ish zones, the rest of the territory and instances are open to everyone. So there shouldn't be -that- much difference in levelling speed due to faction perks. The next likeliest factor to make Alliance so much more prominent in levelling race is there simply being much more Alliance players. That could seriously mess up the power balance on PvP servers. So I gathered up some statistics from all servers.

Disclaimer!
All the following data is based on a snapshot from Maxmeout website (http://www.maxmeout.com). This data is changing constantly, so the numbers below are probably not exactly the same by the time you are reading this post.

All the numbers below are based ONLY on top 25 characters on each server.

Code:
Faction distribution
------------------------------
Total characters 2200 (88 servers)
Horde characters: 780 (35,5%)
Alliance characters: 1420 (64,5%)

Total characters on PvP servers: 1050 (42 servers)
Horde characters: 458 (43,6%)
Alliance characters: 592 (56,4%)

Total characters on PvE servers: 1150 (46 servers)
Horde characters: 322 (28%)
Alliance characters: 828 (72%)

Class distribution on PvP servers
------------------------------------
Druid            2,0%
Hunter          11,4%
Mage            13,6%
Paladin         12,3%
Priest           7,0%
Rogue           27,0%
Shaman           9,6%
Warlock          4,1%
Warrior         12,9%

Class distribution on PvE servers
------------------------------------
Druid            2,8%
Hunter          17,3%
Mage            12,3%
Paladin         15,9%
Priest           7,0%
Rogue           22,0%
Shaman           5,1%
Warlock          5,1%
Warrior         12,4%

When looking at the class statistics, remember that these are not real % from total population, but merely % from people in top 25 on each server. Therefore, it may be that druids for example, simply just suck at gaining levels while rogues are really good at it. However, my own gut feeling is, that these numbers do reflect actual population distribution over classes closely.

The 25% / 75% faction distribution in favor of Alliance characters in global top 25 turned out to be better reflect the situation on PvE servers. On PvP servers, the actual top 25 population difference is "only" 13%.

Conclusion: if these numbers are anything to go by.. I think it unlikely that Blizzard will nerf shamen any time soon :)

Ottar

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Give other classes access to Lasers and/or orbital ion cannons? :m00:

Solid

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm whilst it may seem alarming at present, a better evaluation can be made when most day 1 starters reach level 60 and we can see a better spread. It may transpire that rogues are easier to level OR that there are indeed a TONNE more rogues being rolled, which tbh wouldnt surprise me!

I was going to roll a rogue in retail but am having second thoughts esp as I want good group based PvP and too many rogues = pain in the arse getting good groups, may have to pick a lesser played class :D

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
Solid said:
Hmm whilst it may seem alarming at present, a better evaluation can be made when most day 1 starters reach level 60 and we can see a better spread. It may transpire that rogues are easier to level OR that there are indeed a TONNE more rogues being rolled, which tbh wouldnt surprise me!

I was going to roll a rogue in retail but am having second thoughts esp as I want good group based PvP and too many rogues = pain in the arse getting good groups, may have to pick a lesser played class :D

same here,i dont really want too play the most popular class ..i was thinking about a rogue but now i think ill try a caster or warrior,love duel wielding weapons though :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Id wait a few months before doing stats.

This game is gonna turn into nerf age of camelot part 2 i can see it now classes being nerfed left right and centre until theres nothing left i really hope blizzard dont go down this path.

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
remeber rolling a shite class can be good for when they become fotm :D

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
You can buy the dual weild skill for warriors at level 20 behatch :D

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
:D i havent read that much on the classes,want too find out for myself ;)

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
> a better evaluation can be made when most day 1 starters reach level 60
> and we can see a better spread.

Aye, and beter data source would be handy.

What can be told for certain tho, is that assuming these numbers do represent eventual capped populations to any degree of accuracy at all, PvE servers are going to be pretty much devoid of PvP as far as alliance is concerned. 28% vs 72% population is not pretty. Instanced battlegrounds or not, that's still 3-4 alliance players per potential target.

> It may transpire that rogues are easier to level

Rogues, even in massive numbers, can still be ok as they seem to fit in groups much better than DAoC assassin classes, filling the role of light tanks. At a glance, much more problematic is the lack of high end healers. Druids and priests together forming 9-10% of total population does not look good, even with inclusion of shaman/paladin populations doubling that number.

> This game is gonna turn into nerf age of camelot part 2

Actually, I see nothing in those numbers that could be fixed by nerfing.

Ottar

Aada

Part of the furniture
Oh but the yanks in all there stupidity are already moaning when they get wtfpwnd by a different class.

Its just a matter of time before the first nerf patch comes out.

SigvartH

Fledgling Freddie
Supricingly low numbers of Shaman and Warlocks (even on PvE servers). And Priest did not do as high % as 1 would think. Mage and Palladin did ofc live upp too it's reputation. Though I found the Rogue % too be way more than I would have guessed.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
top 25 from each server only, whats the point?

these stats are meaningless.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
For now, these stats can only be used to see what the "powergamers" are doing. No surprise to see small numbers of Druids and Warlocks. Although I wouldv'e expected more priests and shamen.

The high percentage of rogues should even out after a month or so.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
Rogue, Hunter is realy good in pve. they kill fast but are weak. thing in pve is that you regen health so fast that it doesnt matter they are weak.
They are not better at killing mobs, just that XP is gained almost same from low lvl mobs than high level mobs, and those classes can kill low lvl mobs fastest

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Aloca said:
They are not better at killing mobs, just that XP is gained almost same from low lvl mobs than high level mobs, and those classes can kill low lvl mobs fastest

Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by this.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
AhoyHoy said:
Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by this.
They can kill weak mobs faster then other classes.
when i tested a rogue it could only kill mobs 3 lvls higher but it kill mobs 2-3 lvls lower faster than most classes.
Hunter can kill high lvl mobs tho but they are weak in melee range. (weaker) It is the leveling up fotm class atm.

Warloc is the best 1v1 pve char against high level mobs can kill 6 lvls higher.
problem is that it isnt worth it if you not doing some quest.

some xp details:
at lvl 24 a lvl 24 mob gave me 160xp. a lvl 18 100. now i kill the lvl 18 3x faster. with no downtime.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Solid said:

Just remember the first few weeks on Prydwen when the Mids were FAR ahead of the other 2 realms. It's (mostly :p ) evened out in the end though.

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
> Just remember the first few weeks on Prydwen when the Mids were FAR ahead

Aye, half the realm perma-camping APK and Emain being the premiere exping zone for lvl 40+ mids, those were the times :)

But that was just one server. Wasnt the same on Excal if I remember correctly? If you look at the PvE server numbers - 28% horde and 72% alliance.. I think even hibs were never that low pop on Prydwen (adjusted to 2 realms in WoW as opposed to 3 in DAoC). Hmm.. 3-4 to 1 population advanatage is well.. dramatic.

As things look much more even on PvP servers, the only cause of more high level albs.. excuse me, alliance players on PvE servers, can be that there is simply that much more of them to begin with.

Also, remember that even on PvE server, players of different factions cant group with eachother. So, having a relatively thin horde population spread out over PvE servers will cause them to suffer in PvE raid department as well.

I for one never had any intention to set my virtual foot on a PvE server to begin with, so who cares? Blizzard probably does. The PvE pop differences look too drastic for them to not to. So, let us pray that whatever they do to influence the PvE server faction disparities will not screw up things on PvP servers.

Ottar

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
First to 50 on excal was NP, playing mid, by a long way. Yet at that stage albion had almost 50% of total population.

I don't think the top 25 is a good basis for observing population figures personally.

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
> I don't think the top 25 is a good basis for observing population figures personally.

True, it isn't. But a) it's the only basis we have available atm and b) it's not just 1 or 2 servers. It's 88 of them. 2200 data points. There is a server for example, where all 25 top slots are horde (Blackrock if I remember correctly). But over enough data, such extremes tend to cancel out.

Ottar

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
Confirms what I suspected all along. I was thinking of rolling a priest on PvP server since I'd get groups etc easily seems I was right :D

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
im thinking about rolling somthing crap with potential in the hopes it will get a boost from blizzard and become proper fotm and that :D hehe warrior sounds aight

Wabbit

Fledgling Freddie
hahahaha cant stop laughing at all the people that said..."noooooooh Blizzard makes balanced games, there's not much classes yet so not much they can do wrong..." looks like a 2nd daoc to me...stealthers overpowered and 75% of the population going for the "normal" realm (Albion - Alliance)

Well done! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom