More Autorenewals?

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Short version, another recent round of autorenews being set to "on" after they were locked to "off" by the account holder. .

GOA turned Automatic Billing back on without permission again - Warhammer Forums

Nic/Magnus. I wonder if you'd care to give an official comment on the below, specifically:

Were these accounts set to autorenew by GoA staff/software deliberately after the account holder turned autorenew off, or whether this was a bug.

I haven't been affected personally, after it happened twice in DAoC it's always been game cards for me.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Happened to me, I'm not that bothered this time around because I would have paid it anyway, but after the debacle after I quit DAoC...

Needs to be sorted asap.

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
No official word on this yet but I'll escalate it and get back to you.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Working as intended is my best bet about the answer :p

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I checked mine which I set to manual renewal about 3 months ago, it hasn't changed.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I've never encountered this myself in all of my years of subscriptions.

Why do I get the feeling stupidity of the individuals is involved? :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy

Because you are a patronising fuckwit?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

Even if it is their "stupidity" then its still not the individuals fault. There are laws protecting consumers against being tricked out of their money.

A simple solution would be for GOA to send out a confirmation email whenever you pay. Included in this email would be a statement saying if auto-renew was set. Then if there was a problem people would be able to present the email confirmation which would have the date of the last payment and say look it was set to "no auto-renew". I am sure this would prevent alot of people from making mistakes and if they did GOA would be able to point out that they clearly said it was set to auto-renew and as the client didn't complain at the time they assumed this was correct!

As it stands it looks like GOA is happy to profit from this. And morally is there really any difference between knowingly designing a system where people can easily make a mistake and therefore con them out of money or just out right taking their money?

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie

You mean your mum never mentioned it probably.

In DAoC i had stopped playing for three months,when GOA decided that they would reactivate my account and use my credit card details that they "didnt have" and in turn actually cost me more than the subs due to topped out cc at the time.

I actually think you sir, are a prime candidate for a job at GOA ( no offense to nic/mag)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
So many bitter people.

Face it - it's either some bug, or your stupid enough to not read / click something / etc etc.

Why would GoA randomly auto-renew some and not others? That makes no sense what-so-ever.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Variations on billing types for one, different cards, different billing cycles. I imagine it is a bug in the system somewhere but that is hardly the customers fault is it? Even if its a clerical error somewhere it is certainly not the customers fault and I would expect GOA to hold up their hands and offer full refunds to those affected.

Assuming its happened again that is.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
still amazing if you mention "same service or better" in a thread on warhammer alliance it gets deleated by the mods... i will probably get accused of GOA bashing.

:m00:

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
People shouldn't always shoot GOA for this.
Hell, Blizzard pulled the same shit on me. I bought WoW (I know, I'll burn in Hell for that...), decided it was crap after less than two weeks, and cancelled it...only to find my account autorenewed...and the same crap happened again the month after that...And they never admitted their fault either...

Gahn

Resident Freddy
So many bitter people.

Face it - it's either some bug, or your stupid enough to not read / click something / etc etc.

Why would GoA randomly auto-renew some and not others? That makes no sense what-so-ever.

Yeah like it never happened before lol

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
chargebacks... thats what people need to do, not only would GOA lose the money but they could get a nasty fine at the same time. There is no excuse for activating someones account when they don't want to play/spend money on a game. It might have been done before, to lots of companys, but its totally out of order and with people being short on cash GOA should take this issue a lot more serious.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
When it happened last time, I ended up changing my credit card, as my GoA account went back to auto renew three times in two weeks. Worse still, they refused to remove credit card details, so was the easiest option for me tbh.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah cost me a fair bit and also change cards due the fck up.

Bugz, question for you. You ever given birth? No? but then how can that be because if its not happened to you , its not true.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I just can't see GoA randomly 'forcefully' auto-renewing some subs and not others. Raven's probably got the right angle somewhere, which would suggest to me a bug in the system. GoA's fault yes, but I don't see it as deliberate.

That said, there are a lot of goons on WHA, so it's probably a fact that one or two did opt in for automatic renewal and forgot about it or something of the like.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Bugz pretty much summed up what I was thinking, it'd hope GOA had it defaulting to disabled though, much better to have customers clambering to get subs setup than clambering to shut them :)

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I just can't see GoA randomly 'forcefully' auto-renewing some subs and not others. Raven's probably got the right angle somewhere, which would suggest to me a bug in the system. GoA's fault yes, but I don't see it as deliberate.
<snip>

Of course I don't think anybody is thinking that GOA sits around playing "Russian Roulette" and manually activates accounts. :twak:
Of course it is a "bug" in the system. The problem is - it isn't the first time GOA have had such "bugs".

And also consider they've actually willfully and knowingly done this for every account when they "upgraded", or "updated" or what they called it, their payment system earlier in Warhammer life.

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Good morning.

Were these accounts set to autorenew by GoA staff/software deliberately after the account holder turned autorenew off, or whether this was a bug.

I spoke with our billing support department and they confirmed that these accounts were not set to autorenew deliberately after the account holder turned autorenew off. They are not aware of a bug that would explain this but are happy to investigate it on a case by case basis.

People who are affected by this problem should always report this to GOA using the Billing and Account helpform on our website. Make sure to pick the "Subscription period purchase" option and mention when you turned off autorenew and when you have gotten billed. They will do their best to confirm your story and help you from there.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Six months - runs out in May sometime at the moment, probably will renew though but I'll do it manually! :p

That's the problem that you didn't see it yet, it sets to autorenewal when you renew -.-

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Good morning.

I spoke with our billing support department and they confirmed that these accounts were not set to autorenew deliberately after the account holder turned autorenew off. They are not aware of a bug that would explain this but are happy to investigate it on a case by case basis.

People who are affected by this problem should always report this to GOA using the Billing and Account helpform on our website. Make sure to pick the "Subscription period purchase" option and mention when you turned off autorenew and when you have gotten billed. They will do their best to confirm your story and help you from there.

Thanks for clarifying Nic :cheers:

Runoff

Fledgling Freddie
Hasnt happened to me thankfully.

But what about all the folk that havnt noticed the billing. Is that just extra $$ to GOA. Putting the fault and problem back to the hands of customer.

How does billing not know about this problem? It has been occuring from back in DAOC days and has been reported on various forums for warhammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom