Manga Anime - Where to Start

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
I have been at my mates a few times and he loves his manga, I normally ignore it as I aint got a clue what a lot of its about, but the other night I watched Akira for the second time and really enjoyed it. I then lent a couple of his DVDs and enjoyed them.

What would the Manga fans on here reccommend I watch / read?

Cheers :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Depends on the type you like. I loved (and still do) the Patlabor films and series, Initial D, Hellsing, Ragnarok: Loki Demon Detective and some of .hack.

If you want easy to find films and that sort of thing Ghost in the Shell is a bit classic now, and Metropolis more recently. It's not as 'adult' but anything from studio Ghibli is fantastic, namely My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away. Perfect Blue is worth a watch too.

Start with stuff like that and try a few episodes from various anime series to see what you like.

Gray

FH is my second home
I go for most;

Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, Big O, Outlaw Star, mostly Anime but from what i remember Dragonball started out as a Manga comic.

Them Japs are so fuckin talented with art

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh i think Akira is one of the worst films i've ever seen.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Id say Neon genesis evangelion is good anime to get off to a good footing with.

Ive been watching things like Noir (cool dual female assassin leads) and then theres ones like Trigun, which are serious at times but at others it can be amazingly funny, such as when Vash has a gone to someones face and instead o doing anything he breaks out with a happy face shouting "LOVE AND PEACE!". :)

Manga im not too hot on, books arent really my thing, theyre impressive drawings but I dont really follow the style a lot.

And also im in the progress of getting hold of the new ghost in the shell movie, RAAAH. :D

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i find that winamp tv is around 50% manga (the other 50% being p0rn)

i hear that ghost in the shell is good, and i personally really enjoyed ninja skroll and hellsing

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I know it's very mainstream and probably a mistake on my part to mention it, but seeing as I have zero respect for/from any of you anyway: Naruto.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
You are incorrect with your first statement, but very very accurate with the latter. Mangos are indeed teh yum!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
~Yuckfou~ said:
Am I alone in thinking Manga is shite?
Mangos are nice though.

You're not alone. Near all of it is generic crap. There's some good aspects but for the most part it is very dull.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Im enjoying Vampire D and neon Gensis Envanglion at the mo. Can't wait till Fist of the North Star in October the entire series on DVD.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've always enjoyed the Macross films. Macross II : Super Dimensional Fortress or something is still one of my most loved. I actually enjoy the story in the Legend of the Overfiend films, even if it is more explicit than your average German Romp.

Other than that I think I'd have to recommend 3X3 Eyes and Devil Man.

Or anything my Myazaki.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Urotsukidoji, Cool Devices and La Blue Girl are all good. ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Dirty pair, A-Ko, Excell Saga, Detonator Orgun, Patlabor, Macross(come on, a must) and Macross+, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Ghost in the shell....just to name a few.

Mobius, stick a PG rating on that Urotsukidoji :sex:

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yeah, I have the Dirty Pair manga (found it in a charity shop for 50 pence, mint condition. :)) and its quite good. I was expecting some Hentai but came away disappointed. :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Mobius - you Hentai freak. Stop tossing over cartoons :)

Kenny - BOTP DVD ??? Not Gatchaman ??? :eek:

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Hay guyz. Serial Experiments Lain is a great anime. Seriously weird and neato. How many other anime series start with a suicide in the first minute? Also it's relevant because this is The Internet an' shit okay!!!! Also, Puni Puni Poemi is pretty awesome, as well as Excel Saga. Both very humorous yep. I also tend to agree with a lot of anime being formulaic and predictable. The ones I've mentioned aren't so much, really, though Lain does use quite a few clichés.

Dax

Fledgling Freddie
Puni Puni Poemi completly takes the piss out of the generic anime / manga characters. It's also very funny. Well worth a look.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Louster said:
Hay guyz. Serial Experiments Lain is a great anime. Seriously weird and neato. How many other anime series start with a suicide in the first minute? Also it's relevant because this is The Internet an' shit okay!!!!

Just prepare to be very confused for the first few episodes until the story gets going. Amanda introduced me to this, and I do need to go rewatch iit now I know how it turns out.

Also my short answer for myself as to what anime to watch (you READ Manga, it's the book stuff) is "ask Amanda what to watch next out of her collection" :).

-Ath

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Athan said:
Just prepare to be very confused for the first few episodes until the story gets going.
To be honest, I'd say it remains pretty damned confusing throughout, but that's part of its appeal, really. It's beautifully made and the ending was genuinely moving, despite the fact that I still wasn't entirely sure what had happened, aha ho.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Blood the chosen wasa good flick too, short and violent.

moomin

Fledgling Freddie
patlabor is truley good, vampire hunter D also good, er rah-xephon okay (alot like NGE)

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
I just bought 10th anniversary special edition of Ninja Scroll. Never seen it but heard it's great. I liked Vampire Hunter D so I imagine I'll like this too.

Manga is :worthy:

Will

/bin/su
Lazarus said:
How do you eat yours? (serious question by the way)
A Mango hedgehog is the only way to do it. Cut into two halves, remove stone, cut into cubes inside the skin, then turn inside out. Voila.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom