[NEWS] Winds of Change in test

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Winds of Change on Dark Crag - Warhammer Forums

"From the the Dev Team category we have: Winds of Change on Dark Crag
Winds of Change

In our efforts to improve server stability and performance in Open Realm vs. Realm combat, the players of Dark Crag will have the opportunity to participate in a live test of a new system called "Winds of Change."

The goal of this system is to ensure the best Open Realm vs. Realm experience for as many people as possible and to prevent server crashes. Overall, this system will only take effect in the most extreme server load situations, and will only happen as a last measure before the zone would actually crash.

In order to accomplish this goal "The Winds of Change" will now teleport a small number of players in Realm vs. Realm lakes to the closest "safe point" when crowds are large enough to threaten the stability of the server. This will generally be the nearest Warcamp, however, it may also be a Chapter Hub within the zone depending on where performance is being impacted the most.

The system will first warn players that the Winds of Change are coming. If performance in the impacted area does not improve the system will select first those who are currently dead on the ground to be moved followed by those who are severely wounded. Those selected will receive a message explaining that they have been moved. We realize this change is inconveniencing to those impacted, and anticipate that this system is temporary while we continue to improve overall stability.

Please note that if you are ported but eligible for contribution rewards such as loot bags or medallions, you will still have an opportunity to win and retrieve them if you were ported during the assault on a Keep or Fortress.

We look forward to your feedback during this test and encourage those on Dark Crag to post here once they’ve had an opportunity to experience the new system.

Thank you for your continued support."

clown.jpg

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Is this serious? :eek7:
Cause if it is how Mythic tries to deal with the problem - then I must admit that I'm very pleased that I've not been giving money to Mythic (or GOA) these last couple of months.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Hahaha - so let me get this right...

Rather than upgrade servers, streamline the client and server code, or prevent people from flying into a zone when it's already overloaded - the idea is to kick you out of the RvR lake into a random camp nearby.

We realize this change is inconveniencing to those impacted, and anticipate that this system is temporary while we continue to improve overall stability.
Is this the same sort of "temporary" that we heard when you removed the Dwarf / Greenskin / Elf / Dark Elf cities? You don't even have Altdorf/IC streamlined enough to play in yet let alone come close to adding the other capitals!

Not only will this "fix" do nothing to solve the base problem, it will make co-ordinated warband / group attacks harder and do little to solve the base problem of severe lag in high-pop areas.

It's akin to a Doctor treating a sore throat before a stab to the torso. Deal with the basic problem which is that your game is unplayably laggy at anything above medium zone load, and by streamlining the code / traffic accordingly you should see a reduction in zone dumps.

rynnor

Rockhound
Oh dear - that doesnt sound good.

On the plus side I wonder if they could just port out most of the zerging side - then it might actually help orvr.

For instance 127 v 347 - remove a chunk of the 347 until down to acceptable levels for the server.

On the whole I'd prefer the server not needing this tbh.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
On the whole I'd prefer the server not needing this tbh.

Don't worry Mythic and GOA are working hard on making sure there won't be enough population for this to be needed at all in the near future! :p

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Where does Mythic get these brainfarts?

Daoc had problems but goddamn this takes many steps forward on that.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Hahaha - so let me get this right...

Rather than upgrade servers, streamline the client and server code, or prevent people from flying into a zone when it's already overloaded - the idea is to kick you out of the RvR lake into a random camp nearby.
<snip>

It seriously sounds like they can't fix the game.
Which then begs the question - what did they do with stress test results from beta? Weren't we told by GOA that it was just because beta servers were "sub par" when reporting bad performance or something or something like that? - were the US beta testers told the same?
And even prior to that - in internal testing when they tested performance for their game design and engine - did they just log in 30 man into the game and figure it runs well enough so we'll do it this way or something?

Smells so much like inherent design flaws within the engine and game when they try to go this route to "solve" problems.......

pikeh

Resident Freddy
rofl.

It's a joke really, just a kind of 'we can't fix shit, so we'll just stick in a sucky system which is going to piss people off ever more' reaction.

The main selling point of WAR was mass RvR battles between hundreds of players. They should try and fix the servers before resorting to 'last resort' methods like this.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
christ on a bike, i was considering renewing there at the weekend as i was bored out of my pan, but god almighty am i glad i bought fable 2 instead. how were these people allowed to run a game?

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Too many questions and not enough answers.

How much chance is there to really stuff the whole fight up by taking the wrong toon/class at the wrong time. Losing guild mates or your alliance warband is not going to be fun. Will they balance it by taking the same number from each side ?

I am also not sure what a good number is for the fight. If there are 150 people per side and this removes 50 per side then I question the benefit on pure numerical terms.

I also worry about these band aids that they then think works and so they stop making such an effort to fix the main issue.

Would not be so bad if they actually gave you a reason to go fight elsewhere.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think its probably a joke, it must be, right? right?

I resubbed at the weekend. I have already uninstalled it and binned the disks.

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
WAR IS EVERYWHERE......In controlled numbers and in controlled groups.

This is just so horrible, and i looking at the date for the 1 april date, but no.

Why would they merge so many servers when they cant handle the numbers anyhow, this is just so sad, shows that someone has been making some very bad calls at MYthic/GoA, at least Champions Online is just 2 months away.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Marky Mark Jacobs : " Oh God of Arts Electronic, Please Sir, we desperately need new equipment to make the servers run smootly"

God of EA : " You want MORE money ? "

MMJ : "Yes Sir, we are losing a lot of customers"

God of EA " Your wise god has a solution, as always"

MMJ " wtf ? You cannot be serious oh wise god"

God of EA *turns MMJ into a toad*

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Meh, not bothered here, mainly because as a melee i CAN'T HIT ANYTHING ANYWAY....out of range, out of range, out of range.... ;)

But aye, it's a joke. The fundimental selling point of this game is massive orvr, which we know is not possible.

I can just imagine it, your waiting for that all important rezz, the healer starts casting it, your gonna win, oh, wait, why am i in chapter 22......

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I don't think I would enjoy lag-sized battles even if they weren't laggy.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Easy outcome they scrapped it, altho they are still working on a feasable solution along the lines.....
:lol:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
if it's a case of "port or the server falls over" - it's good.

If it's a case of "port or the server runs a bit slow and well we coulda probably fit another 100 in there" - awful awful awful.

The implementation on Dark Crag that they were testing was pretty abysmal by the sounds of it - it moved dead people first, then injured people...

Which sucked just a little bit when you were on the outnumbered side and had a few dead people on the ground...

If it decides it needs to move 50 people - it should be split based on the number of enemies there - 400 destro, 100 order = move 40 destro, 10 order.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
if it's a case of "port or the server falls over" - it's good.

If it's a case of "port or the server runs a bit slow and well we coulda probably fit another 100 in there" - awful awful awful.

The implementation on Dark Crag that they were testing was pretty abysmal by the sounds of it - it moved dead people first, then injured people...

Which sucked just a little bit when you were on the outnumbered side and had a few dead people on the ground...

If it decides it needs to move 50 people - it should be split based on the number of enemies there - 400 destro, 100 order = move 40 destro, 10 order.

It's an outright poor idea, in any half decent Development Team the brilliant mind behind it would have insta downgraded to Road Sweeper instead of giving him a pat on the back, actually losing time coding the thing and having the face to put it live for tests lol

If really they are so desperate in find a solution for the Server lag, they should point their researches in the monstrous amount of Buffs, Debuffs, Hots, Dots, Immunities, CC calculations that the Engine needs to do and exchange with 500+ Clients.
If they don't wanna simplify that part of the game, put a Cap to the T4 Zones and be it.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Just another poor solution to the problem really, Mythic really need to streamline the game itself rather than implementing badly thought out ideas like this. In the end this is just likely to alienate more subscribers.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Just another poor solution to the problem really, Mythic really need to streamline the game itself rather than implementing badly thought out ideas like this. In the end this is just likely to alienate more subscribers.

Precisely, they need to fix the underlying problem rather than slap another Mr. Men band-aid on the gaping wound and hope it holds.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Source: Re: Winds of Change - Dark Crag Live Test - Dark Crag - Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - Forums

"Hey all,

We realize this is not "best case scenario" resolution. That's why your feedback and input is important so that we can get hands on information back. Please answer the questions I provided and avoid posting here if you have not yet tested the system.

We are limited in what we can currently do in a limited timeframe to improve server stability, so please avoid armchair commentary, while we understand you mean well it makes it more difficult to retrieve the necessary information from this thread for the current topic.

Thanks for your understanding and to those that have already given feedback

Concerning the apparent issue reported about being teleported to the improper warcamp I'll be sure to forward this on immediately.

Cheers,"

Seems some1 is about to pull the plug :m00:

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
How do you come to that conclusion from that post?

Thats from the feedback thread on Dark Crag, all they are trying to do is separate the QQ from the constructive feedback and that thread is full of repetitive whine.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
How do you come to that conclusion from that post?

Thats from the feedback thread on Dark Crag, all they are trying to do is separate the QQ from the constructive feedback and that thread is full of repetitive whine.

"We are limited in what we can currently do in a limited timeframe" what exactly implies to you?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
"We are limited in what we can currently do in a limited timeframe" what exactly implies to you?

it implies that they are trying to do the best they can as fast as possible. and while this "winds of change" is a shit idea it may very well be the best thing we will get untill they make a better solution.

for me personally i'd love to see them make each T4 zone (not tier) sit on a dedicated server. i think we can all accept a bit more loading screens if it resulted in little to no lag and/or crashes.

but new servers costs money, and i dont think GOA or Mythic want to (or even can) spend that ammount of cash in times like this.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm rather glad I wasn't around when the original announcement then the withdrawl of Winds of Change were made. I was equally amused and appalled.

This is the kind of thing that would be crazy-making for people running set teams from either guild or alliance.

While I tend to view some of the more hysterical postings regarding Mythic announcements with a smile, this is one of those times where I am fully with the community's negative response.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie

I think that statement indeed tells a lot if it is worded that way intentionally and not just as some random remark about it just being an attempt at a quick fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom