Why the forced dreams/ambitions?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I never quite get why people have a problem when i say something along the lines of;

"I don't have any dreams or needs, i'm quite content. If i have food, drink, bar nights and game nights, i'm quite happy."

There's usually some bull about "Everyone has dreams!" or "That's just slacking, you need ambitions and goals!".

not to mention if i say i'm happy eough living single for the rest of my life. Oh boy that gets some relationship defending nutters on the rage. Seems like there's a huge need to defend relationships, just to pat yourself on the head.

Any good point on why? Because i've yet to hear someone give a good reason for someone to live their life by some standard of others, especially when they don't harm anyone.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
in Western society the norm is to constantly reach for more, if that is indeed the "right" approach is up to an individual to decide (in my opinion)

some people are less laid back than me and feel the need to interfere with others lives to ensure their way stays as the norm (possibly because they are threatened by your lack of care?)

Helme

Resident Freddy
It's both because it's expected, and encouraged in our society and because of the self-validation, that they made the right choices etc.

I'm not gonna go as far as to say they're unhappy, but I think it really irks people when someone like you who is content seems happier than they are even when they are doing everything right and you aren't.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Without people who reach for the stars would would all still be living in caves hunting our food going well this ain't too bad :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Without people who reach for the stars would would all still be living in caves hunting our food going well this ain't too bad :)

That's a fair point(outside the aformnetioned self-validations etc), the push for everyone to succeed is a great way to force progression, but i don't think these days it's that necessary anymore.

I did forget to mention work in the initial post, which is a given to enjoy the food&drink&such.

Everz

FH is my second home
It's expected to want something I guess? In terms of life aslong as I am comfortable enough to support a family, do what I want to do and enjoy the years I got before the black abyss then to me that is a good life. I'm far from career orientated heh.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's easier for people to try and align YOU to THEM, rather than the other way round, particularly if there are differences between them.

I have similar things, although the most hilarious one is how people react when I tell them I don't drink. You'd think I'd murdered their mother or something.

Basically, most people are pathetic jokes and will only respond to you if they see part of themselves in you. If not, you might as well have 7 heads.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Yeah to be fair if you are content then that is all that matters. I don't believe that you really have to have goals or dreams. If you are happy without them then lucky you!

I have goals I guess. But I'm mostly pretty laid back and if they come they come. If they don't all I can do is make the most of what does come.

As for the relationships part. I persaonlly am an advocate of relationships however I would never say my view on them should be everyones. If you don't want to be in one that is completely your choice and more power to you.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
Horses for courses.

You could argue that you'll end up missing out on some amazing life experience ... then again some people spend their entire lives trying to achieve what you appear to have now.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
That's a fair point(outside the aformnetioned self-validations etc), the push for everyone to succeed is a great way to force progression, but i don't think these days it's that necessary anymore.
progression as the human race is neverending. some will make sure it happens, you and me probably wont!

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
I don't know about other people.

But for me, at a early age, I wasn't very good at school and I was told I was stupid. I have a huge ego and a "alpha male" complex, I want success and I want to beat everyone else in the process. I like winning ( :p ) physically and mentally, from a muay thai fight to a drunken race in the street with mates. Ego is important, the thought of another male being tougher than me or having more money than me is horrific :p

We all have dreams I guess and mine couldn't be set higher, and it drives me to get shit done. I enjoy reading other peoples facebook that I went to school with them and seeing it says "road sweeper" or "mac donalds" . And these were the people that marked me as stupid and a joker. And now they ask me where I am / what am I doing, I tell them. And the reply is "Damn you're lucky" luck? ..... :worthy:

Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong if you are happy. But majority of these people, in 5 / 10 years / whatever break down. And want what they could of had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom