The Queen.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Has Charles officially picked a name yet? Seen him referred to as Charles III already

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Has Charles officially picked a name yet? Seen him referred to as Charles III already

I believe that's designated? No ?

Ormorof

FH is my second home

They can pick, her dad was born Albert but chose to go for George as king, Charles could go for Edward but that might be a bit weird seeing as the last one didn't work out, but then neither did the first Charles

SilverHood

FH is my second home

In the Crown TV show, there's an excellent clip when Princess Elizabeth is told about her dad's death. First thing she asked to confirm is her royal name. She says something like "let's not complicate things, my name is Elizabeth" and so she was.

I can't see Charlie taking a new name, it's too complicated.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I guess then that this is what is expected to be used....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

For now, it that's what he is called, he can change it before the coronation. He was king the moment her pulse stopped (to put it bluntly) and would have likely been given the gig through tears, over her deathbed. England cannot be without a head of state.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Not going to pretend I care much, I'd be a total hypocrite if I claimed otherwise. I've had (Irish) friends asking me how I feel this evening, which is a bit weird.

Will be really interesting to see if this leads to more seismic changes in the UK than one would normally expect; she was a bit of continuity and stability in a UK that's on the brink of real trauma and unrest; maybe all of the Establishment should be looking over their shoulder now the one piece of their public face the masses actually liked has gone.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
We're in Cyprus on holiday at the moment, are were sitting in a live music club when it was finally announced. The folks playing stopped for a moment to toast her Maj, which was a massively classy touch imo.

Whatever your thoughts on the monarchy - which is a discussion for another thread - I'm not sure there's ever been a more dedicated public servant. 70 years of service and didn't ever really put a foot wrong.

Fair play to her, and can't help thinking the world's a slightly poorer place now she isn't in it.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
However, she has been queen since I was born and represented a lot of what I think of as British.

The same for me. I've always associated her with all things 'British' and she was the figurehead since I was born and to think of this being someone else now is a little bit weird for me.

Does she get to stay on the bank notes (going forward that is)?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The same for me. I've always associated her with all things 'British' and she was the figurehead since I was born and to think of this being someone else now is a little bit weird for me.

Embattle

FH is my second home
BoE has just said they remain legal tender, a further update will be made after the period of mourning.

DaGaffer

Charles III notes will gradually appear (stamps will be almost immediately) as a normal replacement cycle. There were still some George VI coins floating around as legal tender in the early 80s when he'd been dead for 30 years.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I mean, Truss has just been to visit. Queen gets ill...

:eek:

Step 1 in the Truss plan: accomplished.

Gwadien

Step 1 in the Truss plan: accomplished.
You've done it now, the Stasi will be knocking...

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Elegant words from Macron:

FcNcE3_WYAEJulq

DaGaffer

God I'm bored with all this and I don't even live there.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The PM reading something must be a formality... I can't imagine what possessed them to put her front and centre otherwise. Let's just be thankful it wasn't Johnson. I bet he's fucking fuming.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I kept my mum in my thoughts as well, I think that is what affected quite a few people.

Gwadien

My Nan who died last year was the same age as the queen, so I got a small sense of pride that she lived as long coming from a poor council estate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom