Books Whats everyone reading atm?

Gowen DownTpub

Fledgling Freddie
Just Picked up the latest Feist book Jimmy the hand and the second book in the fools gold trilogy by Jude Fisher, will commence reading some time tonight......

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
Just finished Fevre Dream by George RR Martin which is a superb read , gonna polish off Monte Cassino at some point today and move on to either If Chins Could Kill or War of the Flowers

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
if Chins Could Kill : Confessions of a B-Movie Actor - By Bruce Campbell :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
I'm reading the Halo novels Fall of Reach and First Strike atm.

They're surprisingly good.

Derik

Fledgling Freddie
Just finished the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick. Reading the Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Also 2/3 way through American Tabloid by James Ellroy (will get round to finishing it eventually).

Sar

Part of the furniture
leggy said:
God damn, Dan Brown in trite formulaic nonsense. I've read Deception point and Demons and Angels and there seems to be too much of "Oh what a coincidence" about them. They are obviously well researched and fairly educational (to a point). I just found them too hard to swallow in the end though. I gave da vinci a bypass.

Reading Man and Boy again atm. I need some new books.

I've only read Da Vinci by him, so haven't been hit by the repetition factor while reading it.

As a newcomer to his stuff I liked it a lot.

I'm now on book 2 of the 3 Halo books that are out atm - The Flood. It basically recounts what happened during the game, as well as lots of back story and alternate viewpoints - for instance, a quite sizeable chunk of the story is told from the Covenant's POV. Different author for this one, but still v good reading.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Barrie McDermotts - Made For Rugby

A great book about a modern day Rugby League Legend and one of my heros :)

A MUST read for Rugby League and Union fans a like :)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Antony Beevor - Stalingrad.

Quite good actually, even if it does get bogged down in the subjective side of history just a bit too much.

Going to read his 'Berlin' next, somebody told me it was better so i'll see.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
as I finished rereading WOT 1 through 10 some time ago, I've read The Exorcist, and Making History by Stephen Fry.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Munkey said:
Antony Beevor - Stalingrad.

Quite good actually, even if it does get bogged down in the subjective side of history just a bit too much.

Going to read his 'Berlin' next, somebody told me it was better so i'll see.

It is. I'd also recommend Monte Cassino by Matthew Parker; better than Stalingrad or Berlin imho.

I'm reading the System of The World by Neal Stephenson at the mo, absolutely top book in a top trilogy (Quicksilver and The Confusion being the first two).

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Ian Irvine 'Geomancer' first in a trilogy, I have just finished a quadrology of his set in the same world but at a previous point in history. Not too bad, reasonable characters with more than one dimension, a bit of sex, nice action sequences, generally what your looking for in a fantasy epic. To rehash the bullet point blurb on the back.
SFX Mag 'readers of Jordan, Goodkind and some one else who's name escapes me will like this' and some othe review place ' a real page turner'.
Actually quite true, you won't be educated but you may be entertained if this is your bag :)

Later

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
I finished Valis and a A scanner darkly by Phillip K Dick last week, Both of which were excellent.
Currently im about half way through Alasdair grays Lanark, which i really cant recommend highly enough.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I'm about halfway through Brian Clough's autobiography. It's fucking brilliant.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick OBrian.

It is fucking awesome.

Tbh.

Etc.

plastic

One of Freddy's beloved
I just finished the 9th and final book of Robin Hobbs Farseer/Liveship traders/The tawny man series. I'm actually quite sad about it, I want more books about Fitz and the Fool, but I guess I have to try something new aswell :)

I'm going to read the Wheel of Time series now I think. Does anyone have any other suggestion for someone who likes Hobb/Goodkind/George RR Martin?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and Poet my Michael Connely - good reads

mank!

Part of the furniture
I've finished the Brian Clough autiobiography and now I'm reading White Storm - 101 Years Of Real Madrid

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
'The Outsider' by Albert Camus. Mmmmmm...... Depressing.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Started reading the Dark Tower series. Im not sure what to make of it at the moment. Ill finish the 2nd book before deciding if Im going to continue.

After the first DT book though I had a break and read Dan Browns Angels and Demons. Fantastic! I managed to finish the book in two days. Now Im back to reading the 2nd DT book and frankly Im bored....

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
plastic said:
I just finished the 9th and final book of Robin Hobbs Farseer/Liveship traders/The tawny man series. I'm actually quite sad about it, I want more books about Fitz and the Fool, but I guess I have to try something new aswell :)

I'm going to read the Wheel of Time series now I think. Does anyone have any other suggestion for someone who likes Hobb/Goodkind/George RR Martin?
I thought the middle three "live-ship" books weren't quite as good, but the fitz ones are fantastic, there's a real warmth to them.
Steven Erikson's Malazan books, starting with Gardens of the Moon, are fantastic though not what I would call light reading. It's a world spanning epic fantasy that surpasses even Song of Ice and Fire for complexity, although I still prefer the latter because of it's atmosphere mostly.
Ian Irvine's books are pretty good, and not just for stealing names from ^^
Gemmell ofc, especially the Shannow and Parmenion ones (imo)
Colleen McCulloch's Rome Series if you like that era, deals with the end of the republic and the rise of Marius, (anyone who's played R:TW will recognize that name ^^)Sulla and Caeser through his youth, wars, becoming Imperator and his eventual murder.

I could go on for a while, but if you finish them then try some from the Fantasy Masterworks collections, especially Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.
I'm more of a fantasy man myself but I do read Sci-fi, I loved the Kim Stanley Robinson Mars books and I quite like Iain Banks on occasion, though some of his books annoy me sometimes for no reason I can put my finger on.

I'm currently Reading Guy Gavriel Kay's Emperor of Emperors, book 2 of the Sarantine Mosaic and must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The thing that used to annoy me is he tends to start each chapter at the end of an event and work back to the cause or start.

Derik

Fledgling Freddie
Finished the Forever War by Joe Haldeman and American Tabloid by James Ellroy. Both great.
Just started Quicksilver, Neal Stephenson.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
plastic said:

I agree with Rulke above, if you like those read the Steven Erikson's Malazan books. The imagination and detail credit the series with a fantastic world, it has some of the best characters you'll ever come across! The books don't lead you by the hand, you're thrown in at the deep end and need to figure out what's happening, who the characters are, what all of those strange terms mean... stick with it for a few hundred pages before putting it down!

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Dune trilogy by Frank Herbert, im on the 4th book 'God Emperor on Dune' atm, really good ;o

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Just finished The Battle of Corrin... woah.

Scrounging around for some more fantasy to read, as I'm in a fantasy esque mood

:)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Has anyone read Aztec?
It's next on my list, along with Feast for Crows(if it's ever released :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom