Books Whats everyone reading atm?

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
First time contributed to this thread I as get through a book or 2 a week so would be far to much activity :)

But currently reading - The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Its the start of a series of Thursday Next books and can recommend it to anyone that likes the surreal.

PS. Anyone waiting for Next one in the Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin is going to have to wait hes still drafting the god damn thing :/ so probably Spring / Summer this year :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
Currently:A fire upon the deep by Vernor Vinge (hehe, minge!) about pack intelligence and seriously large timescales - galactic lifecycles etc. good so far but a bit silly in places where it isnt making much sense. Overall ok read

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
Currently:A fire upon the deep by Vernor Vinge (hehe, minge!) about pack intelligence and seriously large timescales - galactic lifecycles etc. good so far but a bit silly in places where it isnt making much sense. Overall ok read
Curently : Quicksilver, damn this book is so freaking good

btw chilly read the foundation serries, you'll love it

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
sibanac said:
Curently : Quicksilver, damn this book is so freaking good

btw chilly read the foundation serries, you'll love it

Quicksilver is a fantastic book. The whole System of The World trilogy is one of the best things I've ever read. Made me go and read Cryptonomicon again as well.

Currently reading The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss. Enjoying it so far.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Crossfire, latest Terry Goodkind. Pretty good so far, although a bit of a strange setup with the leads wife apparently being erased from time (or something similar) and only he remembers her, sure it's been done elsewhere, but not that I can remember!

Chilly

Balls of steel
Just got a bumper delivery from Amazon, since I came to uni I've read about 20 books, in the same amount of time before I came to uni I read upwards of 150 - so im rectifiying the situation :D

Bought some good old fashioned fantasy to keep my mind off my studies, namely Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, well the first 3 books anyway. In a nice box set as well.

Also got my mits on the Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix. Gonna get stuck into the trilogy tonight and in a few weeks move onto the first 3 of the sword of truth set. Anyone read any of these?

@Nipplesack - I've read all of the foudnation series, it gets a bit tedious but always enjoyable. I've read (I think) 99% if not all of Niven, Pournelle and Asimov and I would very much like them all to write more (even tho Asimov is dead I think)!!

leggy

Probably Scottish
Alain De Botton - Status Anxiety

Not usually into these 'philosophy for the laman' types but this is fairly interesting. Basically it gives a theory as to why we worry about what others think of us and our position in life.

Worth reading if you enjoyed any of his other books. The art of travel etc..

Bloop

Fledgling Freddie
Great Expectations. With my english class. Only once again people are letting rip with the freudian slips - when reading Lord of the Flies we managed to get people misreading 'hunters' as 'humpers', 'beast' as 'breast' and such. You can just tell what's on the mind of our class.
Except this time around we have Doyle (gay type fellow, gets stroppy easily) reading a 'scary man' part in a pirate/girl voice. In the words of Freddie - 'I don't understand how you can read in a girly pirate voice and still sound scary'.

Shut up, Leah.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I have 3 on the go at the moment,

For beddy byes - Spike & Dru: Pretty Maids all in a row (I know, a Buffy book, how sad!)

For toilet time - Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman: Long Way Round. The book of tv show of the trip around the world ona pair of BM's. An interesting read, much more invloved than the tv show, althoug it skips around the time line a bit more too. Watch & read together!

For when there's bugger all to at work (which is pretty common at the moment) - The World According to Clarkson. A collection of his newspaper columns in 1 book. Nice short passages to take the piss out of.. well, pretty much everything!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Bed time reading, Val McDermid - The Torment Of Others. Yes I know I'm reading them out of sequence - was by mistake and I'm into it now.

Dark serial killer stuff. This women has a sick mind. Read 'The wire in the blood' after my mother of all people recommended it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-7834636-8754817
Also reading The Clash Biography which I was given as a birthday pressie. Good stuff.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1845130170/qid=1125402546/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/026-7834636-8754817

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson. Cracking book, if a bit difficult to follow at times.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've finished The Algebraist by Iain M Banks, also reading Terror and Liberalism for my non-fiction book, very good.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Read Marching Powder the other week very good book, gives a great insight into what was/is going on in Bolivian jails. Also mid way through Jimmy the Hand my final book to read from Feist until more get released.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
State of Fear by Michael Crichton. It's not one of his best, but it's better than Prey. :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
just finished reading the Tawny Man series (by Robin Hobb) follows up from the Farseer Trilogy and is very good read (though the second book does drag on abit ;) )

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Exultant by Stephen Baxter, fairly good scifi fare. Nothing striking me as particularly new so far though.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
inactionman said:
Exultant by Stephen Baxter, fairly good scifi fare. Nothing striking me as particularly new so far though.

Its not bad, but I was a little disappointed in this after the excellent Coalescent; its touted as a sequel but that's only in the loosest sense.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Now Reading a biography of Karl Marx by Francis Wheen. Its bloody excellent as it skims around the political stuff and concentrates on the human being.

(basically he was a cigar chomping, beer swilling troublemaker who ponced off other people for a living and never had a real job).

Will

/bin/su
Sounds a bit like the Mark Steel lecture on Karl Marx, which if you haven't seen, you should.

I'm reading Noam Chosky's "Hegemony or Survival" at the moment, a fairly highbrow dissection of the "war on terror" and US foreign policy in general.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
Its not bad, but I was a little disappointed in this after the excellent Coalescent; its touted as a sequel but that's only in the loosest sense.

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion as well, it's standard sci-fi fare, not what I expect from stephen baxter!

Currently reading 'The Game' by Neil Strauss, it's a fun auto-biography/self improvment book really, all about pick up artists and how to pick up chicks yourself. It's definitley got things in there I want to try out!

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Just started reading Bloody Foreigners by Robert Winder, a history of immigration into the UK, starting with the Celts. Excellent historical stuff and very comprehensive, could be the History of Britain in a Nutshell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom