United States Corrupt Twattery

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Look at you repeatedly spelling "you're" wrong! You've almost convinced me that that should be the new spelling. Oh no wait, you haven't, you've just highlighted yet again how bad you are at spelling and grammar.
Being phonetic obviously helps
You just admitted that there's a framework of rules in place so therefore there is a right way and a wrong way. People don't just think up new spellings for shits and giggles.
English from only 200 years ago is very different to now.
centuries of linguistic refinement
The only excuse for rejecting the correct way of spelling words is because you're incapable of doing it. Either through lack of intelligence of lack of education. What's the point in even having spelling competitions if the language is so "fluid" that you can just spell a word however you want. Try that, and they'll say "no, that's wrong", "err excuse me it's not wrong, it's unconventional", "no, it's wrong".

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As I pointed out..contestants agree to stick to the chosen dictionary as an absolute.
No appeals..just what it says in that dictionary.
You could just say..well the Americans spell it differently...and thats it..a world language, we dont own it and anyones free to adjust it as they like.
Shakspeare himself just outright invented hundreds of words on the spot and we use them everyday.

You have to accept the difference.
If I said 3+ 2 was 6, unless you are evoking some obscure multidimensional math..that is wrong.

If I spell butterfly ..buttahfly, thats unconventional.
Youd say 'thats wrong'
If I then said..who says so?
Youd say ..'everyone'.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You're talking as if different dictionaries have wholesale different spellings of words - there are dictionaries which have more words in than others and it makes sense for those to be used in competitions (you make it sound like they just flip a coin before each competition but Merriam-Webster Unabridged has been the official dictionary of the American Spelling Bee since forever). The only reason for different dictionaries to have different spellings of words is for regional variations, which are all included in the unabridged dictionary anyway. I'm pretty sure you'd find that the vast majority (probably >99.9%) of words are spelled identically in all recognised dictionaries for a given language.

If you spell butterfly any other way than butterfly, you're wrong. There's no wiggle-room there, you're just wrong. Personally, you can spell words how you like but you're wrong to everybody else and whether you like it or not, it's the "everybody else" that matters (and "everybody else" doesn't give a solitary fuck if you accept that or not).

Job

Yes..the vast, vast majority of words have settled by convention to be spelt one way.
It makes life much easier..but still..its not wrong to spell them differently...unless of course we start to explore what wrong actually is.

You keep going back to..but everyone does it so..and we were told at school..and its silly to think that.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You're right, language does change, but it doesn't change because you want it to.

My theory is that a bloke who actually finished school turned up to your pub, rinsed all your racist mates with a couple of big words and you didn't have time to google them.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yes..the vast, vast majority of words have settled by convention to be spelt one way.
If only there was some sort of label we could apply to that one way to signify that it was right way...
but still..its not wrong to spell them differently
Yes it is.
unless of course we start to explore what wrong actually is.
Is this some "alternative facts" bullshit? The "wrong way" is "anything other than the right way".
You keep going back to..but everyone does it
That's because languages need uniformity and a general consensus on how things work to have any sort of structure. It literally is like that because everybody does it, that's how the whole system works. Go nuts thinking up new spellings for words but you're going against the grain just for the sake of it, just to be different.

Job

Im not even doing that am I.
I point out that its just convention and you jump straight to me trying to right my own dictionary of spellings.
Which I could do ...but it would be ignored as anything but a laugh.
And it would have as much legal power as the OED...which is zero.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
New Defence Secretary is a former Boeing executive.

War & Profit inc!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To be fair, I think it damages children to believe in *any* bullshit. Especially at a young age.

Religion, primarily, but nonsense magical people lays the intellectual ground for that kind of crap later in life.

Earlier they learn the truth the better IMO.

Job

Oh so if its down its his fault..if its up everyone else did it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Yes. Good results are all down to Obama, bad results mean Orange Man Bad.

Or something.

Job

Its crashed again anyway.
Almost like theres millions of gamblers out there deciding it through fear and greed

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yes. Good results are all down to Obama, bad results mean Orange Man Bad.

Or something.
Total straw man. The point being made is that Trump claims credit for the stock market going up but blames others when it goes down. You’re just deflecting his behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom