Help Help with measurements of a unit

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've been really struggling to find a wide, low oak TV stand that's got a minimal design and will be big enough to take a centre channel speaker and an amplifier but it looks like i've found the perfect item. Crucially, it's missing a measurement from the website so I'm going to phone them tomorrow to get it confirmed. Here's the schematic from the website:

media.jpg

The centre spaces need to be 18cm in height minimum (so this is perfect) to hold an amplifier that is 17cm high and 43cm wide (feet can be removed to make it 16cm), and a centre channel speaker that is 14cm high and 60cm wide.

That gap looks like it's going to be more than 60cm, but the fecking measurement isn't there.

Assuming 45cm width per cupboard as per the measurements, that's 90cm for the cupboards which leaves another 90cm (minus the legs) given that the unit is 180cm. The legs obviously take away from the overall width as well, but they would need to be more than 15cm wide each for that gap to measure less than 60cm (they're definitely not that wide).

What would you estimate that central space width is?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A very rough measurement in Photoshop leads me to believe that the centre bit is ~63cm wide (and the legs are <10cm). The middle is 1.4 times as wide as the 45cm door.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm coming at 67cm, cropped the middle bit and with constraint proportions on set the height to 36cm.

old.user4556

Smashing thanks, I think it's fair to assume that a 60cm wide speaker will fit.

old.user4556

Here's another with the cupboards open:

tulsa_180cm_tv_unit_detail_1_1.jpg

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
@Big G where did you find that, I've been looking for ages for just this type of cabinet

georgie

FH is my second home
Two centimetres isn't a lot of space for air flow for your amp. I'd be aware of the heat and keep an eye on it. If possible, see if you could nick an inch from the speaker above/below it (can't quite see how the shelf is fixed in the pictures).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
looks a bit tight chum. consider heat and cables and such!

old.user4556

They can't measure it until they get into their warehouse tomorrow morning to check, but the guy estimated it roughly "based on the smaller unit" and he guesses around 58cm width.

I hope he's wrong :(.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He is right. The cupboards are probably measured on internal size not door size so you lose 2-4cm each side.

As are the shelves (2x18 does not equal 30) The actual middle hole is probably 37 (1cm for the glass)

Last edited:

old.user4556

You think?

The unit is 50cm high, both red lines are of equal length (crude photoshop...). That gap does not look like it's 8cm based on the available info....

tulsa_180cm_tv_unit2.jpg

old.user4556

As are the shelves (2x18 does not equal 30) The actual middle hole is probably 37 (1cm for the glass)

What about this:

We know the interior height of the cupboard is 30cm, so transpose that onto the glass shelf and it doesn't reach half way? I think @caLLous is very close with 63cm, I'm going to say the bloke at the shop meant 68cm not 58cm.

tulsa_180cm_tv_unit_detail_1_12.jpg

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Some quick photoshop rulering: The cabinet in the top image is about 612px wide, the inner gap just over a third of that at 226px (averaging the lengths from measuring the top and bottom of each section).

That puts the gap on the real thing at around 65cm wide.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
/misclick thread

A bunch of grown men discussing wood and how many inches that is.

/quickly exits thread.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Where's @DaGaffer , he'll know about this sort of thing.

I actually did quite a lot of Googling last night trying to see if there were more dimensions available, I got back to the manufacturer's site (Mark something?) but no luck :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What about this:

We know the interior height of the cupboard is 30cm, so transpose that onto the glass shelf and it doesn't reach half way? I think @caLLous is very close with 63cm, I'm going to say the bloke at the shop meant 68cm not 58cm.

View attachment 19488

Using Gimp, I got roughly 66cm but if the other measurements are correct I don't think that's right.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The actual middle hole is probably 37 (1cm for the glass)

I went with the assumption the glass is removable, but it's still 67cm wide ofcourse when you crop the middlebit and use contraint proportions.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What, you use something old like constrain proportions? Pfft. Pheasant.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you guys, that pic is not taken dead-on, so if anything perspective is messing you up in your measurements. that said, the messing would be in G-Bacon's advantage I guess.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, but perspective can't really mess up the very edges of the center bit. End note really; if will fit if the measurements shown are correct :p

Lakih

Resident Freddy
What would you estimate that central space width is?
Wide enough to fit the amp, but with only 1-2 cm above i'd say you will have a air flow problem. Removing the feet's from the amp only make the ventilation of the electronics worse as you will have no space underneath it.
I would reconsider having the center speaker and amplifier in that central space. Besides that the furniture looks nice.

old.user4556

The cooling is on my mind, but remember I live in the cold tundra of Scotland ;). I've been looking at the potential of drilling out the back of the unit to fit a couple of fans to draw air through the gap.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A quiet 120mm (or 140mm) PC fan either side of the cable hole would do just fine. I don't know how you'd hook them up to power but it shouldn't be too challenging

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom