Unexplained weight gain.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
last week, i weighed my self on 2 sets of scales and i weighed 17.2st.

so today i weighed my self again to check the progress, but picture this - i gained nearly 1 stone in a week.

now i have no fucking clue why this has happend and at the moment i am extremely pissed off. i just waisted over a months exercise beecause my weight decided it should fucking increase for no reason.

so now i ask - do any of you have a clue why the hell this would happen?

:(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Did you take off the lead belt before you weighed yourself the second time?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What makes you think the weight gain is fat? Muscle mass is far heavier than fat. Also, you may have been dehydrated on the previous measurement, which can account for 4-5 pounds.

tris-

all the other weeks before that i had weighed the same as i did last week, sorry i should of said that the first time. (i hit one of those points where your weight doesnt move for ages)

i dont think its muscle. nothing is getting bigger but i noticed my trousers suddenly got smaller :(

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
You probably have a tumour...or your scales are borked. I'd still see a doctor though.

tris-

only thing different was i went out for a drink a few times. but ive seen people who go out all night every night and live off pizza who dont gain that much in a week!

GDW one set of scales could be borked, but 2 sets? means they both borked at the same time in the same week :)

tris-

at a guess id say id have to eat about 100 pies a day for a week to gain a stone. considering i ate zero then that theory is out the window ;)

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Who do you live with? Could somebody have borked the settings on you so that the the starting weight was less than zero ? One stone seems a lot of weight to gain in 1 week. You'd notice it physically without having to weigh yourself.

Tilda

Steroids can result in weight gain if your on anything like that.
Some hayfeaver stuff contains steriods, might be worth checking out.

Tilda

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
make sure you didnt first measure yer weight say at the bottom of a block of flats, then went up to the 50th and checked there

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe you've one huge-ass tapeworm growing inside you, absorbing the steroids from your hayfever medicine and sneaking out while you sleep to eat all your pies. On the bright side it'll die of heart failure due to steroid abuse pretty soon so you can lose a crapload of weight in one go.. unless you choose to reconsume all the nutrition that it stole from you...

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I like GDW's reply bestest for funniness. But I agree with Toms most, muscle does way alot more than fat.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Just for completness tris, could you tell us exactly what you're doing exercise-wise? I mean what, how long per session and how often (times a week).

I've found that for weight-loss long sessions (not particularly hard sessions) are the best.

tris-

for the last yr i have been doing cardiovascular stuff for 40 mins a night 7 days a week. sometimes some weights thrown in. the weight hasnt come off fast but it is comin off. i didnt think it would shoot up for no reason though :(

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Cask said:
Doh -1 in the popularity contest.
:eek:

:(

/edit

Cheers tris, I just asked coz I had no idea. And now I've even less. So (as someone else said) it might be best to ask a doc just to be sure.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
You are obviously pregnant, do you know who the father is? The CSA will want to talk to him.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Are you absolutely positive you've not been stuffing yourself with Weight Gain 4000

beefcake.gif

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
The different sets of scales at my gym differ by as much as +/- 1/2 stone so unless this is with the same scales I wouldnt worry about it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
tris- said:
only thing different was i went out for a drink a few times. but ive seen people who go out all night every night and live off pizza who dont gain that much in a week!

You are not "people" you maggot! Now get in shape an...oh..ahem...this ain't fatclub...sowwy...

What i meant to say in a very civilized manner is:

Drinks, especially beer, is the tummybuilder for the local couchpotato.

leggy

Probably Scottish
A stone (of fat) in 1 week is a physical impossibility whatever you do. You can count out muscle as you are doing the wrong types of excercise.

I have two sets of scales that vary by 7 pounds and I won't even touch the scales at the gym.

My advice is this. If you want to lose fat that is.

1) Stick to ONE set of scales only and use that as your bench mark. do not be tempted to use anyone elses.

2) Weigh yourself on the same day every second week. (Friday morning is best for me)

3) At your current weight I would be sticking to about 1,800 cals a day (a bit more if you excercise 6 days a week). Make sure you eat enough good carbs esp. with that amount of cardio work.

4) Vary your work outs. Your body gets used to the same routine which will slow progress. Vary between a weights workout (with a 10 min cardio warmup) one day and cardio the next. make sure you REST between weights sessions. Try not to combine Strength and Cardio in the same session. They are both different fat loss mechanisms and you'll get better results from splitting them.

I have found, unfortunately, that ignorance is what slows down the weight loss. Not ignorance in a bad way just selective calorie counting. Make sure you note down EVERYTHING you eat. Esp. the calories taken in via liquids. If it all possible stick to water only.

I have lost 6 stone this way so I'm not talking too much shite :)

Have fun.

p.s. When exercise alot please stay away from the Atkins diet or any of its variants. It is not good for your body. A good diet and work out to follow (but pretty hard) is Bill Phillips' Body for Life.

Bym

One of Freddy's beloved
You haven't been starving yourself have you? If you drink and starve yourself at the same time, your body will store all the booze calories as fat for 'emergencies'.

Do you drink enough? Water retention can make a massive difference to your weight, and is caused by alcohol and eating too much salt. Drinking water helps flush it out of your system and reduce water retention. Yup, not only a women's thing, although women seem to get often for no particular reason....(or we claim to have it when we've eaten too much pie :))

Otherwise, like the others say, could be combination of muscle gain, or maybe you simply set the scales wrong last time, it happens.

tris-

i also thought it was impossible. but my dad also comes with me and he weighed him self on both the same sets. he weighs the same as before where as mine shot up so i have counted out the scales completley.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Look, the best way to measure the loss of fat is not with a set of scales, but with a tape measure. You can lose no weight at all, but lose an inch around your waist.

Years ago, when I was fit as a fiddle (and then some), I weighed 13.5 stone. My friends, the same height as me, weighed less. Was I fatter? No.

tris-

tonight i weighed my self again and gained another 1lb. my dad weighed him self on the same scales - no change for him..

from searchin the web it seems this can be a symptom of liver disease or endocyrine system malfunction or something like that, think i will phone NHS direct :(

tris-

well the nurse who kept saying "thingy" says if there is no other things happening then nothing is wrong. she also said i should goto the doctors for a blood/urine test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom