Troll in albion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by Octanion
for all of you out there focusing on the changeability of IP adresses

go read about MAC adresses,

And of course its not easy to fake (edit: i mean change) your MAC, not that I'd know about things like that.

B

Brannor McThife

Re: awww

Originally posted by Leah
Hope it all gets sorted out soon and till then looking forward to having you around more in Hib.
You can have me anytime, anywhere. :D :whip:

Looking forward to a nice quiet evening tonight. Guess it'll be a little Spragg killing to 24.99, then go bash some stuff with my mud-pit partner in Thid, then spend the weekend levelling some more. 3/4 more levels and then off to TC!! play with the ratboys!

-G

V

VidX

Gimme a shout if you need help in TC, will drag Vid there :)

I

ironclaw

What a strange way to do business. G is hacked (as agreed it seems by Kemor), and he is punished.

So if I can get into the sub section and have all new subs paided into my account they will send themselves to prison.

Do you think they are working on an 'Alice in Wonderland' game?

D

Danya

Suspending his account is actually a good idea. Assuming it's hacked then they can suspend it while he deals with the security of his machine, preventing it being abused for a longer period.
How's wonderland, Alice? :p

B

Brannor McThife

Did anybody see me say I disagreed with the suspension? eh? ;)

I agree Danyan, suspending the account the minute I logged out last night was a very good thing. Gives me a chance to fix the machine good and proper.

Of course, who want to start a mystery lotto on "Who don' it guv'nor?". Bets on who disappears completely and suddenly over the next few days/weeks. :flame:

-G

I

ironclaw

Alice - who the --- emm - no that was a whole different thing.

I know nothing of the technical aspect of this, but I think you will agree that G's ban is not to help him though.

I also seem to remember the servers going down in beta because of a 'denial of servive' attack. There was a lot of talk at the time that it was a pretty poor show by GAO that they had left themselves open for such attacks. There was also talk of taking legal action, so I assume that must have been against GOA employees :).

I

ironclaw

It doesn't really matter if you agree or not G. What I meant when I said it was strange business practice is that if someone hacks my computor and causes me a lot of worry and aggrivation, and the response from GOA is to ban me - I shall be off with my money to some other game. I would also be interested to know how other people would react to this, as we may be the next victims.

K

kr0n

Originally posted by ironclaw
Alice - who the --- emm - no that was a whole different thing.

I know nothing of the technical aspect of this, but I think you will agree that G's ban is not to help him though.

I also seem to remember the servers going down in beta because of a 'denial of servive' attack. There was a lot of talk at the time that it was a pretty poor show by GAO that they had left themselves open for such attacks. There was also talk of taking legal action, so I assume that must have been against GOA employees :).

DoSes beauty is that it can hardly be defended against. All the attacker needs to know is an IP. DoS (Denial of Service) basically just floods the IP so much it chokes, thus nothing gets through.

B

Brannor McThife

<steps up to the podium with an A4 piece of paper>

Ahem.

I R not be saying nuffin' <whispers: Who writes this crap?> <winces as the spear jabs into his back>

Me happy with everything. Bad person be punished. I be quiet and love GOA.

Moi ... ????? <turns to the spear holder> I can't read this?!?

Ahem, please be patient while the rest of my response is translated into French, German, and then back into UK English. :p

:m00:

-G

Y

yggiz

Great stuff...cant blame him though weather in midgard sucks:p

F

Freia

Originally posted by Brannor McThife
Of course, who want to start a mystery lotto on "Who don' it guv'nor?". Bets on who disappears completely and suddenly over the next few days/weeks. :flame:

I soooo wanna know who it was. I get these allergic reactions against wannabe hackers who are obviously clueless but still manage to harm other ppl.

Yes, rest assured that ppl who actually know a thing or two about security would not do something like this. Only lame wannabes abuse their knowledge.

Let me guess that whoever it was used his own cd key when he logged onto the hacked account. Should have thought a bit about security maybe?

0 respect for his non-existant technical hacking skills and infinite negative respect as an overall rating .

T

Turamber

Originally posted by ironclaw
It doesn't really matter if you agree or not G. What I meant when I said it was strange business practice is that if someone hacks my computor and causes me a lot of worry and aggrivation, and the response from GOA is to ban me - I shall be off with my money to some other game. I would also be interested to know how other people would react to this, as we may be the next victims.

I agree with you Ironclaw, punishing someone for having their account tampered with is UTTERLY ridiculous. I'm the first to say when GOA are doing a good job but that is stupid and very, very bad customer relations.

If the same thing happened to me I'd have cancelled my account within 30 seconds and told them which orifice to shove their game up.

S

SFXman

I disagree with you Turamber. This is just doing what the rules say... why make an exception? Brannor already said that it was a good thing, he may now take care of his security measures and then change his password in peace.
Plus it always gives time to investigate wether or not he account was ACTUALLY hacked because a person might give this as an excuse to do such a thing as is in question here. Although now GOA have found the culprit, but you get my point.

T

Turamber

No, I don't get the point. In the same message Kemor tells us that they know his PC was hacked and they know who did it. But rules are rules so your character is banned.

If my car was stolen and used in an armed robbery do I have to go to prison?

If someone robs from me and buys drugs with the money, should I be charged with the possession of narcotics?

It is stupid and it is wrong.

O

old.Sko

Originally posted by Freia

Laff.

Heres my little 2 cents:
Those are words from someone who would do (has done) something like what was done to Brannor.

"Pay more attention to security next time" <-- wannabe-hacker dead giveaway.
Why do you want Brannor (the real person) to be punished anyway Sko, is it something personal? Or do you think it's fair? Please let us know.

Hehe, my message contained all giveaways you needed :)
And if you think that i hack peoples computers using 3rd party trojans to play someones account you're a bit far from truth, and i personally feel insulted at such accusations.
Just Brannor once created situation where certain person got punished for the actions of other one, and now he's in the same boat. Evil from me, i know, but probably its my ingame character affects my actions.

I read what kemor said and im truly sorry that their braindead policy is that the one who got abused should be punished. Ffs, punishing someone who they know for a fact are innocent, if thats not insane then what is?
A policy. Written document which formalizes rules of behavior for characters in game.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Turamber
No, I don't get the point. In the same message Kemor tells us that they know his PC was hacked and they know who did it. But rules are rules so your character is banned.

This policy sends a clear message out there to those who might think they can do something like this with their own characters and then claim to have been hacked, effectively making it a stupid thing to do.

It's a very clear stance, not wishy washy, and although some may not agree with it there is merit in it being so clearly defined. I personally feel that if it deters others from possibly doing this then it's ok, but thats just my opinion :)

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Turamber

If my car was stolen and used in an armed robbery do I have to go to prison?

If someone robs from me and buys drugs with the money, should I be charged with the possession of narcotics?

It is stupid and it is wrong.
Yes, but there are other benefits for suspending the damn account! Such as the ones Brannor himself pointed out. Most likely now since they have found out that is was actually hacked his account will not be banned/suspended for long!
You can't compare this to real life in that sense. This is a game and your life is not over or ruined if your account is suspended because someone hacked into it, like going to prison would be :p

T

Turamber

But in this case they are enforcing a rule just for the sake of enforcing a rule. Madness. Like I said above if that was done to me I'd be out of here in under a minute, and would look for a game run by people with some common sense.

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by old.Sko
Just Brannor once created situation where certain person got punished for the actions of other one, and now he's in the same boat.

Please explain the above statement.

Thanks.

-G

O

old.Enigma

I dont think you did it either I think John Leslie got pi55ed and decided to vent his frustration on poor defenceless albs.

Though the fact you have built up this REPORT HIM he's BREAKING the COC!!!!! reputation you could get away with one misdemeanor without people thinking it was you. Shame someone else stole your opportunity :(

BRANNOR WOULD NOT CHEAT UNLESS HE IS SCHIZO IN RL

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by old.shotgunstow
Only if you're a mid.

Um, no. Since I'm the only L50 warrior that wears ALL purple and uses a glowing prince cleaver (butcher's axe). And I go into emain often enough. You'd have to be someone outside of mid that doesn't RvR not to notice my Royal Purple. (NOT FEKKING PINK! :p )

-G

M

~Mobius~

Am i the only person who thinks this is good?

Its adds some variation to see someone has got into your realm. :)

And then chasing them across hugin or something, at least gives some excitement (sp?) :)

B

Brannor McThife

No Mobius. Sinister did this, and people suffered. Nobody except Sinister enjoyed it.

If you want things like this, wait for the PvP server.

-G

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by -Nxs-

And of course its not easy to fake (edit: i mean change) your MAC, not that I'd know about things like that.

did you forget a /sarcasm? :)

in case not, yes it is possible to fake a mac adress, this can be done by a software program that forces your NIC to believe it's mac is something else than it is - Note that I have never seen such a program that actually worked ;) - or you can change the MAC physically by erasing and putting on a customized EPROM on your NIC - note this will take VERY special and "high-end" gear -

point being, anyone taking that much touble to go mad in DAoC <shrug> is mad :)

O

old.Enigma

I think its good :) You'll have to get used to it in PvP. I can see the arguments when people are grouping.

"FFS Why did you pull that dumbass"
"Don't you call me Dumbass Motherclucker"
"Who you calling a chicken?"

Group Kicks people arguing and deals with them swiftly.
Ppl complain to guild and the mobs sit and relax while everyone beats the crap out of each other.

F

Freia

Originally posted by Octanion

in case not, yes it is possible to fake a mac adress, this can be done by a software program that forces your NIC to believe it's mac is something else than it

I never played with it much but i know ifconfig for linux does that _on cards that support it_ easy as hell.

/sbin/ifconfig hw <yadayada>

Will change your mac address. you only need to type one line and it's changed in an instant.
It's not that uncommon that network cards allow being told what their mac address is.

F

Freia

Hehe, my message contained all giveaways you needed :)

Are you saying it was you who did it?

And if you think that i hack peoples computers using 3rd party trojans to play someones account you're a bit far from truth, and i personally feel insulted at such accusations.

Im sooooo sorry if i offended you, Sko. But I stick to my opinion that the words you spoke were words spoken from someone who would hack someones account and do bad things with it to get him banned. That was all I really said wasnt it?

Just Brannor once created situation where certain person got punished for the actions of other one, and now he's in the same boat. Evil from me, i know, but probably its my ingame character affects my actions.

I am not quite certain what you are trying to say here. You are evil because you think that Brannor gets what he deserves? You are evil because you like goas silly policy? Or your are evil because you'r ingame character has bad influence on you?

A policy. Written document which formalizes rules of behavior for characters in game.

All i said was that it's a braindead policy. You don't seem to agree and you failed to clarify why you feel that this is a good policy. Or perhaps you do not think it is a good policy, but that it should be enforced just because it's written down. I get the feeling you just like to see Brannor banned... Would you feel the same about this policy if someone did this to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom