Troll in albion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by old.Blood|Prydwen
What Kemor wrote was that "All players are responsible for their accounts".

PC's arent "just hacked", it requires the person at the pc to do something.

ps. firewalls do absolutely diddledoo for PC's, what you need is a virus scanner.
1) Yes. Which is why I accept the account suspension.

2) Yes. Like accidently close a pop-up window from KORNHEAD saying my windows XP cd key was invalid. (Checked Event log)

3) Yes. Virus scanner picked it up AFTER I had run the infected file. But by then, it was too late. File was deleted, firewall up.

Good enough for ya Blood? ;)

-G

K

kr0n

Firewalls/VirusScanners are for n00bs ;)

I mean, most of the incidents that ever happen are based on sheer stupidity/lack of knowledge of the user.

Its good to have those progs indeed, but in the end theres always a way to get past those things, and it usually requires the user to do something, such as disable crucial features, enable some vulnerable features, or just play the little pinball your "mate" sent you.

F

Freia

Originally posted by old.Sko

But well, should i really care of your opinion, since its first time i hear about you and the first words i hear is hastly woven insult to which you stick like fly to the paper about person you never talked to before.

Wether you know who I am or not is completely irrelevant. This is a public forum and i made comments about what you posted.

And wether you prefer to take revenge for ingame stuff ingame really has nothing to do with anything.

But if someones tempers with one's account - think about your credit card - i think first thing you do - call to bank to cancel it. Same should be applied here.

Now that is a valid point. Shame you didn't mention it until now. For a little reminder you went on about judging and punishing characters by the characters actions, no matter who played them.

T

The Real Redi

Kron, take it back, Firewalls and Virus trackers ARENT for noobs, if they are, are you seriously going to tell a public forum that you dont run a firewall or a Virustracker?

What you fail to understand is that people fear computers. especially if they have never administered anything other than a game. I on the otherhand work with them, and i despise them.

Its all well and good giving people instructions to open up game files and change settings, to play around with registry keys and fiddle with windows settings, but i'd guess you've never manned an IT helpdesk for the general public? I have to support users that dont know the difference between the monitor and the base unit. Its a PC... all in, its a pc. full stop.

I know people who play online games, who are so technically inept, that they could get theyre eyebrows stuck under the keys, or paper cut themselves to death on a print run... just because your IT minded, doesnt mean everyone is... <shrugs>

O

old.Sko

Originally posted by Freia
Wether you know who I am or not is completely irrelevant. This is a public forum and i made comments about what you posted.

And wether you prefer to take revenge for ingame stuff ingame really has nothing to do with anything.
:rolleyes:
You can consider it as withdrawal of my remarks about ways i prefer to behave since its not connected with the theme of the topic, as well as your comments about my personality.

For a little reminder you went on about judging and punishing characters by the characters actions, no matter who played them. [/B]
Exactly. Otherwise it would lead to confusion and questions like - is it you in true flesh ? If you play other's char, make sure to maintain his/her personality.

S

Sarnat

That pic could just be a good photoshop edit.

Why on earth didnt the poster check the damn name and take a screen from it?

Anyways if this was said earlier or something, sorry for not reading all the crap.

K

kr0n

Originally posted by The Real Redi
Kron, take it back, Firewalls and Virus trackers ARENT for noobs, if they are, are you seriously going to tell a public forum that you dont run a firewall or a Virustracker?

What you fail to understand is that people fear computers. especially if they have never administered anything other than a game. I on the otherhand work with them, and i despise them.

Its all well and good giving people instructions to open up game files and change settings, to play around with registry keys and fiddle with windows settings, but i'd guess you've never manned an IT helpdesk for the general public? I have to support users that dont know the difference between the monitor and the base unit. Its a PC... all in, its a pc. full stop.

I know people who play online games, who are so technically inept, that they could get theyre eyebrows stuck under the keys, or paper cut themselves to death on a print run... just because your IT minded, doesnt mean everyone is... <shrugs>

So basically those who really really need 'em are n00bs? I admit, I use Firewall. Mainly nowdays 'cause I gave up on my shell account and had to stop using a bouncer. So now my IP is visible to all people on IRC basically. And you know me, I might make someone mad enough to start doing nasty things.

Those programs protect you from the lack of knowledge/ignorance/stupidity of users. Like Virusscanner. Theres a 1% chance of getting a virus from legal company sites, official and popular sites. Which is the thing most people should use. Virus' spread through e-mail or malicious websites with infected files, usually illegal files, such as "skriptkiddie" tools, MP3, warez etc etc. Smart people dont use those sites. Enough, im off to enjoy my Inf :)

P

Pixie.Pebr

Originally posted by Sarnat
That pic could just be a good photoshop edit.

Why on earth didnt the poster check the damn name and take a screen from it?

Anyways if this was said earlier or something, sorry for not reading all the crap.

He did, but he didnt post that piccy here.
Read the thread and you will come upon the post where he states that :rolleyes:

B

Brannor McThife

I'd still like to see some of those Pics. See what evil that person got up to.

-G

O

old.Morchaoron

Its still funny

The guy gets hacked by some script kiddy
Then he gets suspended because he was hacked!

What a sick world!

A

andrilyn

Originally posted by kr0n

So basically those who really really need 'em are n00bs? I admit, I use Firewall. Mainly nowdays 'cause I gave up on my shell account and had to stop using a bouncer. So now my IP is visible to all people on IRC basically. And you know me, I might make someone mad enough to start doing nasty things.

Those programs protect you from the lack of knowledge/ignorance/stupidity of users. Like Virusscanner. Theres a 1% chance of getting a virus from legal company sites, official and popular sites. Which is the thing most people should use. Virus' spread through e-mail or malicious websites with infected files, usually illegal files, such as "skriptkiddie" tools, MP3, warez etc etc. Smart people dont use those sites. Enough, im off to enjoy my Inf :)

Both a firewall and virusscanner dont protect you from the so called "hackers".
Even if you have a shell account or even if you have the last update of every program you have on your computer IP tracing is so goddamn easy.
Scriptkiddies like the word already says use scripts AKA exploits AKA cracks in programs that can be used in their benefit, virusscanners protect you against Virusses and Trojans and all that crap, firewalls protect you against DDoS and Portscans etc but there is no way (like I said before) that you can be 100% safe.
I know people who take down sites and servers for a living, they got all kinds of Programs/Scripts/exploits you would be surprised how many MB or even Gigabytes of hack tools they have.

I also think Brannor (if he could prov he wasnt playing at the time when this happend) could not be held responsible for this action.
GOA or Mystic or the Pope could say you have to protect your own computer and/or data but you cant protect something thats not 100% safe.
Just make sure you install a few monitor programs that monitor internet and other things like file logs (no firewalls), if you can prove someone did enter your computer via a log file you can prove it wasnt you.

S

Sarnat

You can be safe if you unplug your network connection!

Btw firewall and virus scanner DO protect you against hackers, especially script kiddies etc. A properly set up FW won't allow people to try find a hole in your computer where they can then put in a trojan or something. Most script kiddies use older and well known bugs in software to install a old and well known trojan or other virus on your system. So if your progs are up to date and you run a virus scanner you're pretty much safe from the average 'hacker'.

Just this week some geek hacked my other linux box because it had an old version of apache and installed some form of slapper virus or something.

J

Jenkz

my 2c on this:

1. you need better secuirty.

personally i run my system behind a somewhat securer (granted not 100%) linux system with very few open ports. means my systems inside the network have very little chance of any backdoor actually being accessed.

as for firewalls doing didlysquat. depends where the firewall is..... if your system is behind another gateway system running a decent firewall said vulnerability on your daoc system will not be accessible. buy a cheap 486, get two NICs in it, slap *nix on it, put it infront of your main system and wala, your network is as secure as it needs to be. i know for certain my windows system is secure as it needs to be - if this system is infected there is no way its going to be gotten at (unless the *nix system is compromised also - which is not the point here, he dclicked a win32 backdoor app, not someone exploiting vulnerabilites in *nix open source software)

as for the people saying "why bother running a firewall". all i can say is >rofl<. please, a firewalled system with no open ports, with your main system BEHIND the firewall is not going to be under any danger from anything that effected brannor here.. - we're not talking about personal firewall software here, im on about a proper system dedicated to firewalling, or a hardware firewall. making out people do not need security is not just irresponsible but stupid and misinformed.

2. i fail to see why brannors account is left suspended after the problem was resolved?. the CoC states that if you knowingly give your account details out to someone..... he did not knowingly give his account out - this was infact something (theoretically, practically probably not) to which GOA (or brannor) could persue legal action against said "hacker" - and yet GOA punish brannor? to me this is giving out the wrong message. surely this is saying fine, gain access to someones account, cause trouble on it, and their account gets suspended - yes if the evidence is not there suspend, but the evidence in this case is clearly there, so why keep the account suspended? (i take it that the account is still suspended...)

B

Brannor McThife

The account is still suspend. However, this is not a problem and for my own good. ;)

-G

M

maxgirth

Innocent till proving guilty..not here

Medieval game = medieval justice = dammed if you do,dammed if you don`t.

After having a brief read through peeps posts,I came to the conclusions (correct me if i`m wrong).

1,The screenie does not show a name of the troll in question.
2,You are not the only purple troll.
3,No-one has access to your account.
4,Why didn`t the peep who took screenie get your name?.
5,Character references`s say, this is completely out of character.
6,Surely GoA have to prove you guilty,rather than you prove you are innocent?.
7,As they have suspended your account based on their findings,I think they should share them with us!.

Just my 2 penneth.

E

Euthanasia.

fuck that for a laugh if you think im reading 7 pages on a load of crap..read the firts 2 ish and if this wiz died 3 times rez sick ? who rezzed him and why didnt the rezzer kick the trolls arse ?>_<
and surely the wiz must have clicked on the troll at one point so why didn't he scroll up and check for the sodding name

S

SilverHood

someone hasn't read the total thread

1,The screenie does not show a name of the troll in question.

Course not, he is trying to keep the person secret

2,You are not the only purple troll.

and there's a total of TWO lvl 50 troll warriors wearing royal purple epic armor.
One uses axe, one uses sword.

The one in the picture uses axe.

Sorta narrows it down slightly.

3,No-one has access to your account.

He was hacked. Read the thread.

4,Why didn`t the peep who took screenie get your name?.

Everyone knows who it is. Even the owner of the char.

6,Surely GoA have to prove you guilty,rather than you prove you are innocent?.

Kemor already said that -G's account was suspended.

Btw, read the whole thread.

I

ironclaw

Original Poster did have screenies of name but held them back.

Goa have investigated and have said they know that G was hacked. They know who did it and I assume know how it was done.

Kemor has banned G's account as a punishment for G as he failed to stop the hacker!

It would appear that it is a bannable offence to be hacked.

What is left to know is how long G will be banned (indeed if he ever gets account back).

Who hacked him.

What GOA have done about it.

How would others react if they were banned for being hacked?

T

Turamber

Originally posted by ironclaw
How would other react if they were banned for being hacked?

I would take my custom elsewhere, it is ludicrous to ban an innocent person. I'd suggest its only cos Brannor is part of the E&E team that he is willing to put up with this travesty of justice.

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by Turamber
...he is willing to put up with this travesty of justice.

ROFLMAO!!!

:clap:

No worries guys. They're sorting some stuff out on my account. Like I said. I'd rather have the account locked and safe, as opposed to having it erased.

-G

L

liste

seing as the hacker might as well have deleted the chars, instead of griefing, i'd say that a closed account is better, until its sorted, yes :)

S

SilverHood

could have dropped the epic armor and the gorund and logged o_O

G

Generic Poster

Why not just request a new password from the DAoC-Euro site, it's done within seconds. Unless this 'hacker' has access to your email account, he won't be able to pick it up.

I expect you've located and removed the trojan by now. I haven't read the rest of this thread, but you should also think back to how you could have been infected.

My advice is, do not dowload files with names like: masturbating_goats.mpg.exe

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by SilverHood
could have dropped the epic armor and the gorund and logged o_O

Well, you can see that it was someone trying to frame me because:

a) He/she logged out in the same spot that I logged out 3 hours before.
b) He/she used the lower quality weapon I had equipped to farm Rocots in DF.
c) Didn't do anything with the pile of Raumarik items, epic items, and 4.5 platinum cash I had on me at the time...

Still, this person dropped my epic armour condition by 1%. Not worth it for 500rp...

-G

B

Brannor McThife

Was holding some of my guilds funds. Long story. No, before you think it. I've never been given ANYTHING by GOA...maybe grief, but never had any special treatment. This thread's proof of that. :p

-G

S

SilverHood

wasn't thinking it :p

I had 2P when I dinged 50, was wondering how you would get that much more, since I basically soloed lvls 30-37 in varulvhamn, and then 41-45 in DF doing shredders and drinkers. Then lair. Wish my guild would give me money :D usually I'm the one giving them money, the loafers.

B

Brannor McThife

Conclusion:

1) Account is now un-suspended.
2) Passwords have been changed.
3) Account now has a black mark against it. Meaning that should I do anything wrong, my account will be terminated. :( (They don't care that it wasn't me, even though they know it was somebody else, I still pay the 1-strike price)
4) The offender is being dealt with by GOA in whichever manner they deem fit. I shall never know the name of the person lest they make themselves known.
5) I "should" get the 4/5 days of suspension creditted to my account...

Happy (and can live with) with 1,2,4,5. But 3 just totally sucks. If I just make a mistake, my account is gone. I don't even get a first chance.

<sighs>

My new firewall software arrived today...to go on top of a bunch of other things (+ other firewall already in place) I've done with advice from people here and elsewhere.

So before any of you dumb shites start thinking that I or any other E&E person gets special attention, remember this thread.

-G

R

Ragnarok1978

If anything they're making an example out of you with #3.

That's a tough one to swallow considoring it wasn't you that did those things.

If it was me, I wouldn't rest till they removed the mark, but any protests would probably fall to deaf ears, knowing GOA :)

All in all tho, you got your account back, that's really all that matters :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom