Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by old.Sko
So be it drunk brannor...
I don't drink alcohol. ;)
What can i say - pay more attention to security next time.
I do. New PC, firewall was not activated. Was put up straight after I picked up the virus on Sunday. A little too late, but machine is now supposedly 99% secure according to Symantec's test.

IMHO, this was someone that targetted me specifically, with the intent of causing me harm.

Think about that...

-G

B

Brannor McThife

I don't think I have yet, but I apologise to you Solarflare, Ociros, and any others that may have been killed/griefed by Glauthrong (if it was him). The account is my resposibility, and should it end up being Big G, then I will accept anything GOA does to the account. :(

I am sorry that someone saw fit to grief you using my account. More than that, I cannot offer. Please forgive the big troll.

-G

R

Rudor

Bha guys don't report ppl why not do like this...
Alb /as raid in mid ( no not take bledmeer) we gonna take jordheim 2night..

Mid /as raid in alb 2night we gonna strike camelot..

Hib / blablabla

no report no talk nothing ...

Now that would be cool thin of a alb zerg in mid lan i would love that ..

Move the war inside our homeland .... Freeeddddoooomm

B

Brannor McThife

Wasn't talking about the REAL inrealm event SF. More about the suspected one when I was in Alb. I was in Keltoi at the time, and left there with my minstrel to rush to the hills so as to hopefully get killed by the perpetrator, and hence have first hand evidence to hand to GOA. However, on that occasion, it was somebody hearing DM's from Forest Sauvage, unlike yours, where we all know he did indeed kill many people.

Point was, when we heard he may have returned to the Albion interior, a LOT of people responded. Just thought that a lot of people would've responded to DM's inrealm is all. But now that Solar says it was at 3am. I seriously doubt there were many people around that could've responded.

-G

O

old.Atrox

Originally posted by Rudor
Bha guys don't report ppl why not do like this...
Alb /as raid in mid ( no not take bledmeer) we gonna take jordheim 2night..

Mid /as raid in alb 2night we gonna strike camelot..

Hib / blablabla

no report no talk nothing ...

Now that would be cool thin of a alb zerg in mid lan i would love that ..

Move the war inside our homeland .... Freeeddddoooomm

It's called PvP server, on a "Normal" server any bug should be reported may it be abuse or not.

T

The Real Redi

Redi i think you are missing the point here mate.

eh? missed what point? I was offering someone who i consider a decent guy and an ex guildie a little advice for some home protection and a little support to add to the numbers who have already backed up our man brannor... <shrugs>

you lost me... didnt know there was a point to miss!

seeing as i would believe our boy G, there is no case in my book. Sure it needs to be investigated, but if it was Redi happened to be there, and i had seen the message "Glauthrog hits you with his massive glowy axe and cleaves open your face, spilling your warm merc-mind all over camelot hills lush green pasture" i'd have logged and reported to rightnow. I wouldnt have said anything about brannor breaking the CoC, id have told them that someone was using Brannors account illegally.

hes that honest, i just wouldnt accept it was him <shrugs>

and besides, i know that theres a lot of nefarious activity going on around DAoC accts recently, why would i have been attacked from the same German ISP about 40 times in 4 days? thats why i utilised my friends version of Neotrace and now have informed the persons ISP, i have emailed him and told him to lay off (yes, Neotrace is that good)...

Firewalls not only offer you protection, they offer a log as to the IP that attempted to go through a commonly used channel for trojans/backdoors, etc. unless the persons made the effort, in which case, they must REALLY have little better to do than cause aggro...

K

kr0n

Ok Im being realistic now...

Brannor might've been "hacked" or "skriptkiddied" as he said. The problem is proving he didn't do it or proving someone else did it. Like Blood said, there are plenty of options so spoof IPs or use someones IP instead your own. I gotto admit I've played around with "skriptkiddie" tools few years back and I know pretty much what theyre capable.

Only thing they can ever prove is that it either was used by Brannor's IP or someone elses IP. They cant accuse anyone with the IP 'cause there's no proof that he was there when it happened. The problem with Internet is that you can never ever know if he really is there, even tho he might act and talk like the real person.

I'd say the conclusion for this is that concidering Brannors background they give him an oral (not even an official) warning and let it go and tell him to take care of his passwords better. It's really a shame the system is so flawed.

To prove someone did it they need to check the IP from court, who does it belong to and check his computer from the information. And since this is an Europewide game with people from all over the world, I highly doubt they go through with this.

S

SFXman

I always have my firewall on, ever since I had weird stalls on my computer. Since then I occasionally get these warning of some floods trying to be done on me.
Viruses I barely ever check tough, I guess I should :(

B

BimboBane

Tread ruiner.

Well now, how many of ya use hotmail for instance? all your login information is mailed to you..... And frankly hotmail have been wide open since mid July and is a verry well spread exploit so if ya use hotmail. Do delete that mail since finding out your address is not so hard, probably you use the same for all email activity you do..

If ya have subseven or any other trojan installed you can bet they go thru yer outlook/eudora folders and search for information.

So tip of the week, install and make sure ya update a virusscanner. Make sure ya have shutdown ms messenger in xp/2000 and if ya can install a personal firewall and drop all incomming connections on ports below 1024.

Windows have never been and is not intended for being used with a real IP on the internet. Generarly i would say get a NAT-box. a cheap one from dlink is yours at the radio schack for less than 50 Euro.

Yours

//BimboBane

K

kemor

Just a quick note:

All players are responsible for their accounts, no matter what happens. If you give your password to someone, and this “someone” does bad things with your account, your account gets the sanction. If your password/login is stolen, and the person who stole them does bad things with your account, your account gets the sanction. This is how it goes, but in some cases, especially the ones where the customer claims that his account was “hacked”, it doesn’t stop here.

We have easy ways to check if an account was “hacked” and we have more complicated ways to check. In the case we have here today, it was an easy investigation: The account was hacked and we know who did it.
By hacked I mean that someone used another player’s account without the agreement of the owner. Once the customer says that he did not give his account information to anyone, we have a “hacking” case and while the “how” matters, it’s not what we focus on.

I can’t give any information on this case and the “hacker” issue will be dealt with, but I will just say that, no matter what happens with the “hacker”, the account of the character Glauthrong was sanctioned and suspended as any other account would have. Brannor being in the E&E team changes nothing; we have logs, we check them, we have policies, we apply them.

T

The Real Redi

well, glad that its advancing in a positive direction instead of lots of circumstantial evidence cluttering it up

/em cheers Kemor...

V

VidX

Personally, my system is quadruple secured:

1/ ADSL connection comes into an ADSL router running hardware NAT

2/ All but one of my PC's are running Tiny firewall, with custom rules. The one PC that isn't running it, is running a very, very good firewall which I am training myself in.

3/ All e-mails are downloaded to my local PC, even when I was using Hotmail. These e-mail are then archived on a weekly basis in a password protected .rar file.

4/ Each of my PC's is running PCCillin, with network share file scanning enabled, with all the default shares on my systems being shared as default in XP.

Hell, I have to open the firewall to send e-mail, incase the AV software doesn't pick up on worms an e-mail (with an address book of over 3,500 names, and alot of those contacts being international corporate ones, I really don't want anything to be passed on from me.

You may be thinking I'm paranoid, but I have my reasons and on Sunday when I heard what happenned to Brannor, I felt justified in the countless hours I have spent setting up my internal network security, plus I attend alot of LAN parties, another cause for concern.

This is really one of those cases that proves that the only secure method of accessing the internet is to not access it at all :(

As Kemor has said, people can be held responsible for whatever happens with their account details, no matter whether it is with DAoC, or if you use online banking, or access some sort of global satellite death-ray system.

In this case, the unfortunate victim is Brannor who has lost access to his account for the time being :(

Just glad to know that GOA were able to find the person responsible for it within such a short period of time.

So, hopefuly word of this spreads and will hopefully deter any other idiots from trying the same thing.

I

ImLestat

I'm sorry that Brannor got suspended, but I understand that Goa has to follow it's policy.

I'm however very happy that they caught they guy that did it. Hope he gets what he deserves.

F

Freia

Originally posted by Meatballs
bet you 20g that was plankton

It sure looked like pinky(tm) but he is not a wee Flammen Vakten. :)

B

Brannor McThife

Glauthrong ---> :(
Me ---> :flame:
Idiot who did this ---> :twak:

May whichever god you think cares for your useless soul have mercy on it when you meet him.

<sighs>

-G

O

old.Lianuchta

I suppose having two accounts makes it slightly less bad ;) You know you like Hib better anyways...

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by old.Lianuchta
You know you like Hib better anyways...
You KNOW I like Leah better. :D

Oh, and Succi in her leather outfit... <runs to take a cold shower>

Yeah, after my disappointing few days in Thidranki, I'll be levelling out of there this weekend. That is of course, if the stupid bastard hasn't already done some evil with that account too. :(

-G

M

matax

Damm, that means we have to put up with Brannor even more ;)

Seriously - sorry to hear about this Brannor and hope the ban isn't for too long :(

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by kemor
Brannor being in the E&E team changes nothing; we have logs, we check them, we have policies, we apply them.

Makes one feel really loved, dun'it ? :(

-G

N

n00b 79

Suspended

Is it suspended for a while or for ever? I feel sorry for brannor i can just think of the time he put down on Glauthrong and its a shame if it would be suspended for ever...

F

Freia

My little 2 cents on the topic.
Here we're judged by actions of characters, not the people behind them - for example doesnt matter if for example Arcanis in alb is played by some 12 years old and Mustrum by his older brother. As both chars on the same account, both get banned for actions of the younger brother.
So be it drunk brannor or some script kiddie behind char still have to be banned, or it will be just inconsistent policy.
What can i say - pay more attention to security next time.

Laff.

Heres my little 2 cents:
Those are words from someone who would do (has done) something like what was done to Brannor.

"Pay more attention to security next time" <-- wannabe-hacker dead giveaway.

Why do you want Brannor (the real person) to be punished anyway Sko, is it something personal? Or do you think it's fair? Please let us know.

I read what kemor said and im truly sorry that their braindead policy is that the one who got abused should be punished. Ffs, punishing someone who they know for a fact are innocent, if thats not insane then what is?

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by Freia

I read what kemor said and im truly sorry that their braindead policy is that the one who got abused should be punished. Ffs, punishing someone who they know for a fact are innocent, if thats not insane then what is?

So true, GOA have stated that it was not Brannor, so aslong as the account details have been changed, and whatever hack used to obtain them patched then please give the guy access to his acct back.

B

Brannor McThife

/waves to Freia
Sorry I didn't respond last night. Was saying goodbye to my guild, et al before I logged out for the suspension to take effect.
You were the last person to emote to him before it took effect.

I'm awaiting my email from RightNow... Heh... what happens if I haven't had an email from them after 48/72 hours? :rolleyes:

Oh well. I'm go try out the Par 5 12th tonight. That long right dog-leg keeps getting me caught in the rough. Gawd damnit FORE!!!!

-G

F

Freia

Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
Good news and bad news:

You don't always have the same ip address when you connect to the interent, even with cable/adsl. You are generally assigned an ip by a dhcp server.

You do however end up somewhere, in the same ip range. Like x.y.z.<random> or x.y.<random>.<random>

x, y and/or z being the same every time.

So if the hacker was not using the same isp as brannor, and was not bouncing through his pc, then his x and/or y and/or z should be different enough to tell it wasnt Brannors normal ip address(range).

And i know the issue has been resolved now but that was generally speaking. :)

Antivirus doesn't protect you from port scanning, which firewalls do. SMTP (email) is a very common way of finding ways into peeps' PCs.

Note that portscanning by itselfe cannot harm you, it can only be used to determine what possible different ways of intrusion there may be into your PC.

To actually get hacked you need to either
A) Run software (some kind of server) that allows other computers to connect to it over the internet, AND that have bugs that allows the attacker to do undesired things through that connection.
or
B) By hand accept/recieve and run a program that installs a backdoor/virus.
or
C) Use some software that runs executable files recieved from different sources over the internet withouch asking. This could be a buggy email-client (like m$ outlook) or webbrowser (like m$ie).

Firewalls can protect from A (even though most home-windows-systems dont run any listening servers at all, and if they do, they are useless if you block the connections to them anyways, so you might aswell shut down the server software :)). Anyway, firewalls also protect you _if_ you get infected by backdoors/trojans because they can block attempts from the outside to communicate with the trojan, and therefore (depending on how the trojan was designed) stop it from doing any harm.

T

The Real Redi

<facepalms as Glauthrong swings his axe low and cleaves the tiny white dimply ball into two neat halves at his feet, the troll shields his eyes to the sun and statres into the distance to see where the ball didnt go>

:clap:

How about getting to grips with Unreal Tourney again.. i never realised how rusty i was, til i couldnt connect for a couple of days ;) heh!

looks like i might be going back to that too, as i may have to get down to a reinstall :cry bitterly...

L

Leah

awww

Originally posted by Brannor McThife

You KNOW I like Leah better. :D
-G

*blushes furiously*

Like you too honey ;)

Hope it all gets sorted out soon and till then looking forward to having you around more in Hib.

A

Addlcove

for all of you out there focusing on the changeability of IP adresses

go read about MAC adresses,

that is your NIC´s (network interface card) hardware adress, no matter what IP you log on to the net with you provide the ISP with your mac adress at the same time.... unfortunatly not all ISP's save the MAC's although I do believe the standard is 3 days (they log your IP and MAC whenever you are opening a session over the net)

just a thought

F

Freia

Originally posted by Octanion
for all of you out there focusing on the changeability of IP adresses

go read about MAC adresses,

that is your NIC´s (network interface card) hardware adress, no matter what IP you log on to the net with you provide the ISP with your mac adress at the same time....

Yeah but it isnt that big a deal to change the MAC on your NIC through software (if the card supports it, and many do). :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom