Sums up AoC

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
I find it really problematic to find out information about players in the game. No /who command or anything so you can check out people before you invite for example. The LFG-system is also failing to be of use. I tried to set the parameters to near my level (35-40) and zone to sanctum and then got into a group of level 20 exping somewhere else. Second try was also a miss, this time it was a group that was way off to where I was going.

As a result of the difficulty of communicating and interacting with other players I've mostly been soloing, soloing is effective sure but it gets really boring after a while. Feels like playing a singleplayer game.

eksdee

FH is my second home
i found the best way to get groups was to ask in the ooc channel, but yeah - the lfg system and lack of /who sucks.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I find it really problematic to find out information about players in the game. No /who command or anything so you can check out people before you invite for example. The LFG-system is also failing to be of use. I tried to set the parameters to near my level (35-40) and zone to sanctum and then got into a group of level 20 exping somewhere else. Second try was also a miss, this time it was a group that was way off to where I was going.

As a result of the difficulty of communicating and interacting with other players I've mostly been soloing, soloing is effective sure but it gets really boring after a while. Feels like playing a singleplayer game.

The thing is, this actually HELPS with making the community more communicative.

Think about it:

Either type /who blablabla or ask blablabla who/waht/which sexual preference is he/she.

I like the fact there's no universal databank about people.

Aada

Part of the furniture

Think about it:

Either type /who blablabla or ask blablabla who/waht/which sexual preference is he/she.

Thats fine but at least give people the option to /who if THEY want.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thats fine but at least give people the option to /who if THEY want.

Why should they if they want the game to be more conversation based?

I'm all for "not doing things as some of the players want" and taking things out that seem the norm, if it helps making immersion better and keep the game world consistent.

If you put in a /who option, everyone uses it. If you don't, people actually discuss.

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie

Think about it:

there is a difference between communication and spam.

some simple /who commands can answer a lot of serious or trivial questions

for example can you plz answer a question i have been asked a lot of times, how many players are on on prime time on dagon or any other server?

can you give me a number with your communication skills?

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
The lack of /who is annoying, it's a standard mmo tool and one most people expect.

Anyway Coldbeard you'll be glad to know that grouping is well worth it. AoE xp groups rock, and unlike daoc you only really need a couple of aoe classes and healers. It's often more fun and much faster than questing, since a group of 3-4 should be able to pull 10-15 mobs of lvl +1 to +3 and slaughter the lot of them. The XP per mob doesn't get diluted that badly, the only real problem is finding a fast enough set of spawns.

Makes a nice change from shitty games like WoW where leveling is 99% solo.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
for example can you plz answer a question i have been asked a lot of times, how many players are on on prime time on dagon or any other server?

can you give me a number with your communication skills?

Can you give me a reason why you'd need that info?

Asking some character "Who are you and what do you do!" in a very arnie kind of way, is much mroe fun and not at all spammy, then just going /who and snicker quietly in your dark lair of doom.

Also, looking around give me a pretty big estimate at how much people are around.

Yes i am against the technofication of MMORPGs :eek:

Should actually suggest funcom to create a REAL RP server. Where there's no chat beyond what you can hear, no who/stick/etc stuff.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Why should they if they want the game to be more conversation based?

I'm all for "not doing things as some of the players want" and taking things out that seem the norm, if it helps making immersion better and keep the game world consistent.

If you put in a /who option, everyone uses it. If you don't, people actually discuss.

lol /who helps people form groups quicker by faster communicating.

Tell me something if a group is an instance and someone drops and they need a replacement they go out of the instance and nobody there now what?

Without a /who command you would have to walk all the way back to the nearest town and it could take ages clicking on everyone that walks by to see what class/level they are or you go through the /OOC channel but that isn't for looking for groups for people therefore annoying everybody else by spamming.

Seriously why the HELL do you think almost nobody groups on this game except the guilds?

Because the LFG options suck nuts and there is no /who command to even think about starting a group.

People don't want a /who command so they can be fucking nosey they want it because it helps form groups.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yes, but again, if they don't want a /who command in the game why should they put it in?

Not every MMO NEEDS to have the same sh*t every other MMO has. And never said anything about people being nosey.

Wish people would realize that whining about something that's in other games is as pointless and stupid as whining about some FPS 'cause they don't have a bazooka.

And it would be absolutely wonderful if you had to go back to town to find someone and ask around people to join. Could even put a bulleting board system a lot of things, that don't need to be "omnipotent computer tells you all!" in a fantasy game.

By the by, i've formed plenty of groups by...*shock horror*...talking to people in SAY...ohbycrom!...yes...talking! In a tavern! To people!

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
Tohtori to save you the effort I'll sum up your next 100 posts:

Person A says, I don't like aspect X of AoC.

old.Tohtori says, X is perfectly fine, l2p. (this is regardless of what X is)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Tohtori to save you the effort I'll sum up your next 100 posts:

Person A says, I don't like aspect X of AoC.

old.Tohtori says, X is perfectly fine, l2p. (this is regardless of what X is)

I'm not saying that though.

Let me sum up your posts:

"I miss point so i insult instead Weeeee! pots and pans to heads make funny noise *clang clang*"

I was saying that if they don't want a feature in THEIR game, then it won't be in and it's not up to the players to say what should be in THEIR game. also, saying that this technofication of fantasy games has gone far enough and bring on some real immersion.

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
So let me get this straight, for the sake of immersion you think it's good there's no /who.

Ok genius, why do we have /ooc and now regional channels. I'm pretty sure my character can't shout loud enough to be heard accross the continant! That's breaking the immersion surely, and what about the zoning?

No wait, this is a stupid line of argument, and one I cba to continue ;)

So yes you win, EVERYTHING in AoC is fab, and anyone who says bad things about AoC is an unbeliver and we must SHUNNNNNNNNNN the unbelivers!

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the current search system? oO

I've found groups and people of all kinds of levels by searching for them, and I've gotten tips from a level 80 guy on how to spend my feats while leveling..

It's not impossible.

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
Can you give me a reason why you'd need that info?

Asking some character "Who are you and what do you do!" in a very arnie kind of way, is much mroe fun and not at all spammy, then just going /who and snicker quietly in your dark lair of doom.

Also, looking around give me a pretty big estimate at how much people are around.

Yes i am against the technofication of MMORPGs :eek:

Should actually suggest funcom to create a REAL RP server. Where there's no chat beyond what you can hear, no who/stick/etc stuff.

the fact is... i asked a simple question
can you answer this or not?
as i said, i was being asked by many ppl this question: how many ppl are on prime time?

its not about features or anything else
if you wanna roleplay, fine. do it ingame

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So let me get this straight, for the sake of immersion you think it's good there's no /who.

Ok genius, why do we have /ooc and now regional channels. I'm pretty sure my character can't shout loud enough to be heard accross the continant! That's breaking the immersion surely, and what about the zoning?

No wait, this is a stupid line of argument, and one I cba to continue ;)

So yes you win, EVERYTHING in AoC is fab, and anyone who says bad things about AoC is an unbeliver and we must SHUNNNNNNNNNN the unbelivers!

Like i said, i summe dup your answer rather well. Missed the point completely and make it into something "grand".

I'm saying it's good for communication that there's no /who. As in, people talk more.

I would LIKE a DIFFERENT server where there wouldn't even be OOC. Atleast remove it from RP servers. Different matter.

No i odn't think everything is "fab" in AoC, as you can see even from my totally different POV on RP gaming, it's not. It could be more. I'm giving my opinion and reasoning on it.

If they don't want /who, they shouldn't put it in "just 'cause others have".

As in, not all MMOs have to be the same.

Hope that clears it for you and also i hope you see that you don't have to insult people when discussing things :eek:

the fact is... i asked a simple question
can you answer this or not?
as i said, i was being asked by many ppl this question: how many ppl are on prime time?

its not about features or anything else
if you wanna roleplay, fine. do it ingame

And i asked why you need the info. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but why would you need the info INGAME. And about doing "RP ingame", it is rather difficult as RP servers shun more RP then the regular servers because there's not enough "balls" to make 'em RP servers.

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
And i asked why you need the info. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but why would you need the info INGAME. And about doing "RP ingame", it is rather difficult as RP servers shun more RP then the regular servers because there's not enough "balls" to make 'em RP servers.

you answer with a question...
10+ ppl ask me how many ppl are on prime time and i just can't answer...

so, can you help me?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
you answer with a question...
10+ ppl ask me how many ppl are on prime time and i just can't answer...

so, can you help me?

The question is there for a simple reason, do you need it as a game mechanic? In reference to you judging me saying "no need for /who" with commenting on a mechanic that's not needed.

How many people are on primetime is usually somewhere, the info that is, on forums, etc.

If they put a "this many people online" in the server list etc, fine by me. But you don't need /who because of that.

I odn't like entrapment, so you won't be getting a "umm..no..can't" or "Yes this many!" answer.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
old.Tohtori said:
Like i said, i summe dup your answer rather well. Missed the point completely and make it into something "grand".

I'm saying it's good for communication that there's no /who. As in, people talk more.

I would LIKE a DIFFERENT server where there wouldn't even be OOC. Atleast remove it from RP servers. Different matter.

No i odn't think everything is "fab" in AoC, as you can see even from my totally different POV on RP gaming, it's not. It could be more. I'm giving my opinion and reasoning on it.

If they don't want /who, they shouldn't put it in "just 'cause others have".

As in, not all MMOs have to be the same.

Hope that clears it for you and also i hope you see that you don't have to insult people when discussing things :eek:

If it actually made people talk more, it appear more to make people not talk or interact with others at all.

I see the argument that they should not implement something solely because other MMOs have it, but let's turn it around, why do most MMOs have it? Because it is an excellent tool in communcation and interacting with others.

If AoC doesn't want to include any kind of /who system, that's fine! But then you should at least have something similar or something that replaces the function /who , knowing how widely used it is. I don't think AoC has managed that as of yet.

Nice that AoC wants to be original and do things their way, but I don't think it shouldn't be at all costs, especially if it hinders gameplay, something I certaintly feel it does.

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
The question is there for a simple reason, do you need it as a game mechanic? In reference to you judging me saying "no need for /who" with commenting on a mechanic that's not needed.

How many people are on primetime is usually somewhere, the info that is, on forums, etc.

If they put a "this many people online" in the server list etc, fine by me. But you don't need /who because of that.

I odn't like entrapment, so you won't be getting a "umm..no..can't" or "Yes this many!" answer.

1. you don't actually need many things, but these actually help a lot

2. where is this somewhere? does anyone have access to forums? if there is such info why don't you post it. you won't be so entrapped by ignorance or lack of facts to back your words

3. what makes you decide what is needed and what is not?

4. plz give a satisfying answer to a random ex-daocer , who is used to the server population status, how many ppl are on on prime time.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
/who kills immersion.

Global chat kills immersion too. One should only be able to chat with people in hear range.

RPG for the win instead of chatting server with an attached level simulator :O.

These are my drastic views on this, but I understand you can't please the mainstream taste with such ideas. /who working on a PvP server/zones would be a bad idea imho though.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If it actually made people talk more, it appear more to make people not talk or interact with others at all.

I see the argument that they should not implement something solely because other MMOs have it, but let's turn it around, why do most MMOs have it? Because it is an excellent tool in communcation and interacting with others.

If AoC doesn't want to include any kind of /who system, that's fine! But then you should at least have something similar or something that replaces the function /who , knowing how widely used it is. I don't think AoC has managed that as of yet.

Nice that AoC wants to be original and do things their way, but I don't think it shouldn't be at all costs, especially if it hinders gameplay, something I certaintly feel it does.

I agree, there could be a "register" or some such RP style solution to it. Heck, have meeting areas, bulletin boards. Or EVEN, make it something you have to buy, as in, "seeing stone" that lets you know of people around etc.

Just the /who thing always creeps my bones. Too, omnipotent.

Also points on it being a reason for less communicae, well, i guess it's because people are used to it. I'm betting time would make it so that people would learn that there is no /who and live.

1. you don't actually need many things, but these actually help a lot

2. where is this somewhere? does anyone have access to forums? if there is such info why don't you post it. you won't be so entrapped by ignorance or lack of facts to back your words

3. what makes you decide what is needed and what is not?

4. plz give a satisfying answer to a random ex-daocer , who is used to the server population status, how many ppl are on on prime time.

Err...you've gone so off the point of your own point that...i'm a bit confused to be honest.

I'm not saying i decide, i can have an opinion though. And it is, /who is not needed. Stop bringing other things into the dicussion/argument you started.

And it's USUALLY somewhere, i can't dig it up mainly 'cause i can't be arsed and i don't need to know how many people are online as it's useless info.

Fact is, the server population server no purpose in the game. It CAN be in the log in screen or some such, like i SAID, that would be fine.

/who kills immersion.

Global chat kills immersion too. One should only be able to chat with people in hear range.

These are my drastic views on this, but I understand you can't please the mainstream taste with such ideas. /who working on a PvP server/zones would be a bad idea imho though.

Exactly, and i'm betting others who feel like this would be happy if there was ONE server where these rules applied. But evne the RP servers aren't RP.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
/who kills immersion.

Should remove the map as well then? The quest arrows and details? The tooltips? The group monitor? Mob level indicators and hp? Everything for the sake of immersion.

Seriously, get over this hopeless romanticizing.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Should remove the map as well then? The quest arrows and details? The tooltips? The group monitor? Mob level indicators and hp? Everything for the sake of immersion.

It's hoping for a game that would FINALLY be an RP in an MMORPG.

As it is now, RP is dying out completely.

Even as i said, different server please?

Healthmonitor is, by the by, immersive as it's the only way to indicate your health. If this could be visual other ways, it would be more immersive and better also. Map should be a "drop down" menu, minimap removed would be fine. Quest arrows and details, yup, could do without. Just listen to the advice given. Or go abck and ask for directions again. Level indicators should go too, as well as levels.

This is a PERFECT RP mmo that is...

Noone here can seriously claim that RP in MMORPG hasn't died out almsot ocmpletely.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeh but you are forgetting the most important word in that anagram...the g for game. If you want to roleplay with "full immersion" then do it on a table-top as you aren't going to get anywher near the same experience from a video game.

You know what kills immersion? Zones being instanced, instances in general. I've always hated them for that reason, I liked the fact that in DAoC if someone just cleared a dungeon...then you had to wait, or do it together. The by product of that is that it brings about a community rather than just guilds, as people outside of guilds generally had to work together. WoW killed the community aspect by introducing these mass instances and now AoC has taken it that step further. You can't do shit without a large guild in WoW these days for example. In DAoC, you could in theory be a solo guy and just organise your own FFA raids and people would come.

Regardless of all that though, I as mentioned, am not ignorant of the fact that this is a game, so simple functions like /who and a map are much needed to curb furstration. You can't however omit them on the accusation of "immersion" and then implement something like mass instances.

Not trying to go on the offensive btw, just pointing out how I see it!

EDIT: Oh and yes I realise their are advantages to instances in this day and age of mass subscribers.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture

Yes, remove it all and add Shadowrun damage types and rolls to figure out your enemies condition :p.

:clap:

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

I'm probably in the minority and i completely understand that most players want to be spoon-fed in online games (most players simply don't have the time or inclination to get very involved in a quest and thats fine), but I love games that make me think.

I like solving problems rather than relying on direction arrows or going for spoilers and i have many times found out things that the mainstream spoilers have missed.

Spoilers are great ofc, everyone gets stuck at some point and sometimes the quests are not too vague to allow the solution to be reached by logic alone, but I always believe they should be the last resort, not the first port of call.

Figuring things out for yourself can be the most rewarding experience any mmo has to offer, and even more-so when you beat the spoilers :)

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
I'm probably in the minority and i completely understand that most players want to be spoon-fed in online games (most players simply don't have the time or inclination to get very involved in a quest and thats fine), but I love games that make me think.

I like solving problems rather than relying on direction arrows or going for spoilers and i have many times found out things that the mainstream spoilers have missed.

Spoilers are great ofc, everyone gets stuck at some point and sometimes the quests are not too vague to allow the solution to be reached by logic alone, but I always believe they should be the last resort, not the first port of call.

Figuring things out for yourself can be the most rewarding experience any mmo has to offer, and even more-so when you beat the spoilers :)

I admit some of its bullshit. Like in WoW now you can get mods that add waypoints plus lines and arrows on your minimap/map so you just follow them in the route it gives you to optimise xp/h. You can realisticaly run through the entire levelling process now without reading a single bit of quest text.

So I am all in favour of more ambiguous questing, hell the early DAoC quests were fairly interesting imo. All this waypoint business is just short of installing cheats in a single player, at least as far as I am concerned anyway.

Wonder what WAR will do...

dee777

Loyal Freddie

At least I was always /anon when I played and at least a couple of guys did the same. So how would a /who solve your problem?

I can see how a population count at login could solve that, but I doubt /who will.

Anyway, I am afraid you will have to tell your friends to wait or start speculating. Maybe you might find a nice GM (I doubt that BTW) that might be willing to give you some vague numbers? Or drop an email to support@ and hope for the best? Waiting for a system to get implemented to help you do a census is likely gonna fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom