Sums up AoC

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Rubbish economy

Works for me, if you want a sandbox economy game study economy and write it yourself, I am sure it will be a major success.

Rubbish crafting/gathering

Works for me, but show me a game with crafting/gathering that is as exciting as a kama sutra massage, I am sure it is a major success. Funcom is improving it though.

Far to many broken quests

Works for me. No broken quest so far at level 42.

No real information on stats or abilities, half of them don;t even do anything anyway.

Works for me. I am not interested in the nth fully transparent game where one can use math to pre-calculate 99% of the fights.

Frankly stupid travel system, I don;t mind having to travel long distances but I would rather do it by some sort of NPC horse/flight/teleport whatever, running across the broken tundra gets rather boring after a while.

Works for me. If you want /stick and AFK horse, maybe play DAoC, I've heard it is a huge success.

Crap UI, seriously its a step back in time, its more basic than DAOCs and thats ancient.

Works for me. Not for others, Funcom is working on it.

Rubbish chat function

Works for me. If you want a fully integrated IM, try Pidgin.

No /who command so you feel even less part of a community.

Oh noes, Mr. Lonewolf feels lonely. *hug*

Once its fixed it will be fine, though I think it will be to late for most people.

Doom!

Quite a sentence: Once it's fixed it will be fine, though I think it will be too late for most people (and therefor not fine).

What now? Are you confused or drunk?

Guess what? The world doesn't resolve about people who stopped to play AoC because they didn't like it. The game can be/is a success without you and nobody but a few forum alter egos really care.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Some quests are good, but a lot are mini-grinds in "disguise". I also tend to think it takes 2-3x too long to get to max level in MMOs, I'm probably in a minority here though.

looking at it like that even quests are grinds yes.

but at least they give some variety from sitting at a mob camp 14 hours a day AFK leveling.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
anyone who actually believes that kill 8000 boars as a 'quest' in world of warcraft isn't grinding is a fucking moron tbh.

name a quest in WoW where you have to kill 8000 of anything.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Works for me, but show me a game with crafting/gathering that is as exciting as a kama sutra massage, I am sure it is a major success. Funcom is improving it though.

Careful, you are entering fanboii mode. I like AoC but you have to be wearing seriously rose tinted goggles to think the crafting, and to a lesser extent the economy, system is anything but horrendous

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Might as well just give it up already. Some people here have already made it pretty clear that every opinion, no matter how justified or founded it might be, that doesn't correspond with the idea of this game being flawless and perfect is unwelcome and "whine" by default.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
That "nail on the head" is his preferred nail, and not all use 14inchers on a drywall to hang a picture of a bunny.

The story in AoCs quests is immersive, but you have to like the world and be immersed in it from start.

If you don't like the world of AoC, you won't enjoy the world nor the quests.

I found DAoC to be extremely boring at times, and i've yet to be bored ONCE in AoC.

Every single f*cking massive ever made and that ever WILL be made will have, if you take it down to nittygrtitty(which you shouldn't lest you'll fall bored), has "kill x of this" quests.

Every. Single. One.

How else could it be?

"Go kill picts until, well, until you don't feel like it anymore?"

Expecting DAoC 2 is fine and dandy, but don't compare another game to your lifes gem.
Don't take that tone with me. I'm not trying to beat down your game or anything, enjoy it all you like while you have fun, I gave my honest and completely subjective opinion. Not everyone share your opinion. How I review the game is my business. Freedom of speech.

I had high hopes and got disappointed. Big deal.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
name a quest in WoW where you have to kill 8000 of anything.

Well, it' not far even if a bit over-exaggarated :D

Kill rhinos to get blood, three vials, ok simple enough. But, you don't get blood from EACH rhino, you get it...sometimes. It's not exactly nice design.
I like AoCs take on it, let's up the numbers, makes it feel more "real".

Might as well just give it up already. Some people here have already made it pretty clear that every opinion, no matter how justified or founded it might be, that doesn't correspond with the idea of this game being flawless and perfect is unwelcome and "whine" by default.

And some people are the exct opposite; taking each counter-argument as fanboi'ism. Critique is fine, being a hater isn't.

Don't take that tone with me. I'm not trying to beat down your game or anything, enjoy it all you like while you have fun, I gave my honest and completely subjective opinion. Not everyone share your opinion. How I review the game is my business. Freedom of speech.

I had high hopes and got disappointed. Big deal.

I'll take any tone i want really, even if there was no "tone". It's neither my game, nor do i think it's "perfect". You gave an opinion and i commented on it, same freedom you proclaim to have. No?

Don't try that with me boy ;)

But SINCE we've entered major compare mode anyway, let's take a look at WoW and the amazing crafting/economy there?

"I bang this stuff and make bolts. I bang this stuff 20 times and WHOOPS, i now know how to make a rifle!", seriously, it's hardly rocket science. You get stuff, you bang stuff together with a click, and learn new stuff. Does it work? Yes, but it's hardly special.

Economy? One magical kingdom of buying stuff like from an ikea catalogue. There's no economy, just people selling and buying stuff at random. People often confuse economy with something that developers can't effect, and that's people selling/buying stuff.

Only place that has anywhere near GOOD economy or crafting is EVE. It's realistic, real, and the economy is the same. There's nothing "game" about it.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Careful, you are entering fanboii mode. I like AoC but you have to be wearing seriously rose tinted goggles to think the crafting, and to a lesser extent the economy, system is anything but horrendous

Naa, He ust likes to bash other people, Makes him fell superior in a "kid whit magnifying glass hunting down ants" - way

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
BUT, i'll try to reach MY summary of AoC as per topic:

While this game may not be for all, it may not reach the success of WoW and it may have it's issues to resolve as all MMOs from the start, it has enormous potential and for those people that little problems and waiting for fixes isn't a problem, it's the best "reality" fantasy MMO out there.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Economy? One magical kingdom of buying stuff like from an ikea catalogue. There's no economy, just people selling and buying stuff at random. People often confuse economy with something that developers can't effect, and that's people selling/buying stuff.

There is an economy in WOW, one which you can manipulate to increase or decrease the value of an item. I once spent a week just messing about on the AH, made a fortune. Give yourself a few hundred gold to play with and go make money. Other than throttling the supply of raw materials there is nothing at all Blizzard can do to change the enonomy. Never played Eve past the tutorial so can't really comment on that.

Crafted gear should be at least as good as the drop stuff but in AoC it isn't, its just pointless.

Oh I noticed last night that the gold spammers have started up in AoC but with no way of filtering spam out with a mod and no quick reporting they are free to do whatever they like.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There is an economy in WOW, one which you can manipulate to increase or decrease the value of an item. I once spent a week just messing about on the AH, made a fortune. Give yourself a few hundred gold to play with and go make money. Other than throttling the supply of raw materials there is nothing at all Blizzard can do to change the enonomy. Never played Eve past the tutorial so can't really comment on that.

Crafted gear should be at least as good as the drop stuff but in AoC it isn't, its just pointless.

Gold spammers aside, as they effect every game, no matter what and the damage is done the second you get spammed(which you can block).

The WoW economy is jsut that, people selling and buying stuff and manipulating markets. It's hardly a "amazing" economy, all i was saying. And yes, there's nothing they can do to change economy as such, and can't in AoC either. Moot to complain about economy if the players are the reason.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There is no need to grind rep though, all the rewards are shite anyway.

Its nice to have the choice though.

dee777

Loyal Freddie

Hmm, why do you think its any different in AoC? You cant feel the impact yet, due to crafting being underwhelming and not enough lvl 80ies twinking their alts ATM, but playing the tradehouse isn't any different in AoC than it was in WoW. Actually the trading interface in AoC gives me some options that needed separate addons in WoW. But I actually hope you guys stay away from the traders. There is nothing to see here. Move along... :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture

I am such a fanboy, I maybe played the game for 1h the last two weeks. It has a strong first fix but one can live well without it.

Do you see me posting bullshit posts though about why I don't play it no more?

I mean we had even BloodOmen moaning about AoC in some different thread, the guy who played AoC on the day he got married, before and after.

The truth is that I don't give a shit about working crafting and economy, for me a merchant with listings from the database with offers is enough and I am not interested in some special experience to get crafting skills going. But I also don't give a shit about people who simply say that it is not working, without saying what's broken and what can be improved, then I just say "works for me" as they say "doesn't work for me"; thought the pattern would be obvious.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture

Less assumptions, I never said it is perfect and flawless. Raven went from praise mode to whine mode, it's pretty obvious to follow.

He doesn't play the game, fine, I fail to believe it has to do with AoC that much, rather with his taste (which we shouldn't be discussing about) and his foolish expectations.

Do you see me hanging around on hardcore Tekno forums whining of how shit the music is and how bad it is the potential of it has been used by the producers only because I listened to it once for a couple of hours and enjoyed it back then?

No, you don't.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Naa, He ust likes to bash other people, Makes him fell superior in a "kid whit magnifying glass hunting down ants" - way

Being superior and feeling like it are two different things. Not hard to come on top of you but I am not following such tasks, I think in comparison to you I am a born super hero. I might be wrong though, actually I don't care, I just pigeonhole forum-psychologists like you anyway.

But, tell me, if you are so bored with AoC why don't you fuck off and participate in something that doesn't bore you after 5 minutes instead of trolling an AoC-related forum?

Embattle

FH is my second home
The most common comment I've heard so far is it's good but not finished.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The most common comment I've heard so far is it's good but not finished.

MMORPG will never be finished but what was promised at release isn't in.

Crafting for example is just plain broken and no i won't go into detail as to why it is broken start it up for yourself and you will see that it is not worth the time :)

However the patches are coming thick and fast but as to how long they can keep putting out patches that fix bugs and no content remains to be seen.

PVP is a huge let down atm sure you can PVP but it isn't great either combo system just plain sucks for it to be fair hell i don't even use combos sometimes in pvp because everyone bunny hops and does directional attacks and before you know it you are dead because all your combos missed the bunny.

Class balance is also a major issue you are either stupidly overpowered like the TOS/POM/Ranger or fodder for everyone else like Necro/demo/HOX

But for now the game is enough to keep me playing.

Also another example is Seige Battles which if you have tried to participate is one yet is completely unplayable due to the complete lag fest even on the lowest of the low graphics settings it's a complete slide show just look at the Funcom post on the forums about how they are making this their priority.

Only a complete overlook of Seige battles in the beta could cause this to happen right now, the only solution they could possibly come up with is to tone down the graphics/spells etc in the Seige zones so people can actually play.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He doesn't play the game, fine, I fail to believe it has to do with AoC that much, rather with his taste (which we shouldn't be discussing about) and his foolish expectations

I still play it...I will probably drop it after the free month though and pick it up again in a few months. As I said, I am sure it will be fixed by then. My point is, how many other players will bother coming back with the new WoW expansion on the horizon and WAR out in a few months?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I still play it...I will probably drop it after the free month though and pick it up again in a few months. As I said, I am sure it will be fixed by then. My point is, how many other players will bother coming back with the new WoW expansion on the horizon and WAR out in a few months?

I can't answer this and I am not sure why I should even try to think about it.

People like different games, there is no THE game. If people leave after the first month and don't come back then they most likely expected something AoC wouldn't deliver anyway.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie

Crafting for example is just plain broken and no i won't go into detail as to why it is broken start it up for yourself and you will see that it is not worth the time :)

However the patches are coming thick and fast but as to how long they can keep putting out patches that fix bugs and no content remains to be seen.

PVP is a huge let down atm sure you can PVP but it isn't great either combo system just plain sucks for it to be fair hell i don't even use combos sometimes in pvp because everyone bunny hops and does directional attacks and before you know it you are dead because all your combos missed the bunny.

Class balance is also a major issue you are either stupidly overpowered like the TOS/POM/Ranger or fodder for everyone else like Necro/demo/HOX

But for now the game is enough to keep me playing.

Also another example is Seige Battles which if you have tried to participate is one yet is completely unplayable due to the complete lag fest even on the lowest of the low graphics settings it's a complete slide show just look at the Funcom post on the forums about how they are making this their priority.

Only a complete overlook of Seige battles in the beta could cause this to happen right now, the only solution they could possibly come up with is to tone down the graphics/spells etc in the Seige zones so people can actually play.
Try switching from Pixel Shader 3.0 to 2.0. There is something bugged about 3.0 that Funcom are aware of and working on. 2.0 doesn't give you as neat graphics, you can't see grass and shiny armour etc, but atleast it's playable.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
I am such a fanboy, I maybe played the game for 1h the last two weeks. It has a strong first fix but one can live well without it.

Do you see me posting bullshit posts though about why I don't play it no more?

I mean we had even BloodOmen moaning about AoC in some different thread, the guy who played AoC on the day he got married, before and after.

The truth is that I don't give a shit about working crafting and economy, for me a merchant with listings from the database with offers is enough and I am not interested in some special experience to get crafting skills going. But I also don't give a shit about people who simply say that it is not working, without saying what's broken and what can be improved, then I just say "works for me" as they say "doesn't work for me"; thought the pattern would be obvious.
You are very right about AoC being very addictive in the beginning. It almost hit me like a drug, and all I was thinking was "awesome".

I might have misunderstood something, and grabbing this way out of context, but still isn't this whole thread about making a summary of your own experience with the game no matter if you got a good or bad impression? That's atleast what I tried here, and I even made an effort getting it to sound alright and trying to stomp on as few feet as possible in the process.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Try switching from Pixel Shader 3.0 to 2.0. There is something bugged about 3.0 that Funcom are aware of and working on. 2.0 doesn't give you as neat graphics, you can't see grass and shiny armour etc, but atleast it's playable.

I've been playing on 2.0 since i started AOC mate ;/

Due to the fact that 3.0 everything loads more slowly.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I like the game overall, but I'm finding a number of things are diminishing my interest:

(1) too much grinding;
(2) not enough grouping instances;
(3) way, way, way too many bugs;
(4) not enough grouping tools, combined with the proliferation of instances of each zone which make grouping a pain in the butt.

I would also mention that the PvP battlegrounds are pretty uninspiring and having loading screens everytime you die gets old fast.

I'll keep playing for now but I imagine when War is in open beta I'll play this much less, and when War goes live I'll be gone for good.

PewPewAS50.50

Banned

Crafting ain't 100% broken. Gemcutting works OKish, alchemy works..the two I tested.

You got no clue about classbalance obviously, you just sheep on about how op'd ToS/PoM/Ranger is.

Necros, HoX's, Demo are all damn strong classes. Guardians always been solid, they are what they are supposed to be - Unkillable and with utlity stuns/knockback styles making them a pain in 6v6.

Whats OP'd with a PoM ? "zomgg QQQ knockback" 2.5 s spell that does random damage, can hit a grey lvl 50 for 350 dmg then crit for 2.5k dmg. You see when it is casted so you back away, if you don't you might, have a slight risc of beeing hit for 2k+ dmg, followed up by a pathetic again 2.5s smite for 400-1000 dmg.

PoMS fear sucks, poms single stun sucks.

WOW we got heals,a heal class who have heals amazing.

We have ~ 4k HP at lvl 80.

Seriously get to 80 then whine, you have no clue how it is to 6v6 in any organized matter beyond the newb pool. May I ASK how balanced Thidranki in DAoC was? There will be no game that is balanced 100% throuhout the low, middle end game levels. :fluffle:

P.S Demonos, necros are so annoying to face now it isn't even funny. Really tells you have no clue on how to play any of these classes since you mention them as gimped lol. Only class that could be seen as gimped is the assassin, and it should be abit gimped and lack utility since it is more of a solo class and have retarded burst damage that noby loves through. ( atm ). :p

PewPewAS50.50

Banned
I like the game overall, but I'm finding a number of things are diminishing my interest:

I would also mention that the PvP battlegrounds are pretty uninspiring and having loading screens everytime you die gets old fast.

Aye, I can see how this is a pain if you got an older comp/hdd.

For me a load takels ess then 4 seconds so not so bad but I would be pissed off if it was really long, like it might be for others :(

Afraid the only solution to that will be either raid 0 setup or buy a solidstate disc, or a 10k rpm hdd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom