Sums up AoC

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
I think some people may regret defending this game so passionately, i'm curious as to whether some of you aren't on the payroll. ;p

In all seriousness though, there is nothing wrong with voicing your love for the game just as there isn't for voicing your contempt...but remember on both counts, the game has only been out a very short time. Don't have faith blindly, and don't overly critique it either!

Z.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
With them bringing out patches twice a week means that they want the new content to be in the game ASAP, instead of doing it once a week, or once a month, or every three months.

Jesus h christ, this is what i meant about whining no matter what.

thats mostly gonna be bug fixes tho. it took them SIX hours just to add the traders back. so i have slim hopes for any actual content being added, even if it is 4 hours twice a week, we probably wont see anything actually added untill the end of the summer. atleast if were gonna believe that post on the launcher.

and
MMO's by their very nature are constantly expanding worlds, it's why we pay a subscription fee. So over the years MMO gamers have to come be much more tolerent for this type of behaviour because they expect/assume that things will be added as time goes on.

i can agree on the natures of mmo's being a constantly evolving world. but what says that they should be released in a state thats just about playable? why should we accept that as fact when we could have something that much better. or are we so impatient we cant wait that long? both us as potential subscribers and the investors that cant wait to get their hands on our money.

what ppl dont know, or more probably, dont care about is that its WE that set the standards. not the game developers nor the investors or the bublicists.

so as long as WE pay for it, neither of the above have a reason to change.

last argument now, promise! *cough* :)

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
i can agree on the natures of mmo's being a constantly evolving world. but what says that they should be released in a state thats just about playable? why should we accept that as fact when we could have something that much better.

Because otherwise they might not get released at all. We will be stuck with whatever Blizzard decides to bless us with because they will be the only ones in the future who can make money off of a new MMO. I believe that when you make a new game you have a set amount of resources. Now the question is, how do you want to spend them? 100% content 0% mood/graphics? 50/50? 20/80?

Do you want to implement all the things that people want right from the start? Well, then you're going to have to cut down on something else, say graphics. You'll have a stable and content rich game, but it will look like crap. Most people will probably see the game and then not even give it a chance.

Or.

You make a beautiful game with the best combat system and "feel" seen in a long time and sacrifice some of the content, with the promise that it will be added soon after. The game will still be very playable and most people will enjoy it from the start. Money starts coming in and you can continue refining the game. You hope that enough people stick around until the game has a chance to equal and surpass any other established MMOs out there.

The only fault I can see Funcom might have committed here is that they weren't quite honest about going the latter route. Other than that, I have full faith that they will be able to make AoC a gem of a game. Hell, I already think it is because I'm having *shock horror* fun with it!

Aada

Part of the furniture
Because otherwise they might not get released at all. We will be stuck with whatever Blizzard decides to bless us with because they will be the only ones in the future who can make money off of a new MMO. I believe that when you make a new game you have a set amount of resources. Now the question is, how do you want to spend them? 100% content 0% mood/graphics? 50/50? 20/80?

Do you want to implement all the things that people want right from the start? Well, then you're going to have to cut down on something else, say graphics. You'll have a stable and content rich game, but it will look like crap. Most people will probably see the game and then not even give it a chance.

Or.

You make a beautiful game with the best combat system and "feel" seen in a long time and sacrifice some of the content, with the promise that it will be added soon after. The game will still be very playable and most people will enjoy it from the start. Money starts coming in and you can continue refining the game. You hope that enough people stick around until the game has a chance to equal and surpass any other established MMOs out there.

The only fault I can see Funcom might have committed here is that they weren't quite honest about going the latter route. Other than that, I have full faith that they will be able to make AoC a gem of a game. Hell, I already think it is because I'm having *shock horror* fun with it!

Tbh that is WoW's success the graphics you can play it on a shite computer and still have a great experience.

I wouldn't tell anyone to get this game unless they have 4 gigs ram and a 8800/3870 graphics card.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
thats mostly gonna be bug fixes tho. it took them SIX hours just to add the traders back. so i have slim hopes for any actual content being added, even if it is 4 hours twice a week, we probably wont see anything actually added untill the end of the summer. atleast if were gonna believe that post on the launcher.

Don't tell me people think that content is createdand added in those 4 hours :eek6:.

It didn't take them SIX hours to put back traders, the patching etc took that long for...well...probably other reasons too.

They create the content, fixes, updates etc OFF the downtime and the implementation happens in the downtime.

Just if you didn't know.

The downtime is NOT "bug fix time", bug fix time etc time is ALWAYS.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Thats my point, it wasn't left out and promised to be put in later, it was put in utterly broken, they should have left it out until it worked. I am sure they will get it fixed soon as its in their best interests to do so. I am one of the people that does love the crafting aspect of MMOs. I had every LGM in DAOC years before the easymode crafting nerf for a reason :) I like to be self sufficient, I never buy mats from the AH in WoW and in DAOC all my gear (except the jewel slots and artifacts) is self made, self SC'd etc. Personally I think crafting your own gear as you level is as rewarding as the leveling itself.

Anyway, I will give it a chance as it is still a good game, hit 50 last night so still a way to go, hopefully on my next toon the crafting and such will be working so I can make decent equipment for myself as i go.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh that is WoW's success the graphics you can play it on a shite computer and still have a great experience.

I wouldn't tell anyone to get this game unless they have 4 gigs ram and a 8800/3870 graphics card.

WoW's graphics are cartoons and turned me away from that game instantly, but that's a little besides the point. I realize 10 million subscribers speaks volumes and that i'm a minority there. But discussing WoW in this context is not easy, since that game was the first real "bulldozer" for the MMO genre in a market that wasn't yet quite mature. Now, however, things are different and it's a lot harder to take a sizeable chunk of the market. And yet, I hear many many WoW players who are longing for something new. Let's hope they give the new things a chance then.

And why wouldn't you recommend the game to anyone unless they have 4 gig ram and a top card? It works fine with 2 gigs ram on my own computer (settings on medium to high), and my girlfriend plays it with her old Pentium 2.4, 1 gig ram and a 6800 card. Sure, she has settings turned down and thinks it'd be better with 2 gigs, but she's still having fun playing.

Aada

Part of the furniture
WoW's graphics are cartoons and turned me away from that game instantly, but that's a little besides the point. I realize 10 million subscribers speaks volumes and that i'm a minority there. But discussing WoW in this context is not easy, since that game was the first real "bulldozer" for the MMO genre in a market that wasn't yet quite mature. Now, however, things are different and it's a lot harder to take a sizeable chunk of the market. And yet, I hear many many WoW players who are longing for something new. Let's hope they give the new things a chance then.

And why wouldn't you recommend the game to anyone unless they have 4 gig ram and a top card? It works fine with 2 gigs ram on my own computer (settings on medium to high), and my girlfriend plays it with her old Pentium 2.4, 1 gig ram and a 6800 card. Sure, she has settings turned down and thinks it'd be better with 2 gigs, but she's still having fun playing.

To me this game is like Crysis it is pointless playing it with everything turned low because it looks terrible lol ;/

It's natural for people to want something new after playing a game for 4 years just hope Blizzard has something in the works :)

eksdee

FH is my second home
aada seriously, do you ever make a post that isn't full of reactionary crap?

totally agree with levin here, i think WoW's polish has given people really high expectations (fair enough) but there aren't many games companies that can compete with blizzard tbh.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
To me this game is like Crysis it is pointless playing it with everything turned low because it looks terrible lol ;/

It's natural for people to want something new after playing a game for 4 years just hope Blizzard has something in the works :)

So it's natural for people to want WoW to evolve more after 4 years, but it's also natural to except a game to be evolved as much, as other 4 year old games, from the launch?

Contradict much?

Not to mention, you want crafting but you want to do it in magically fabulous scenery.

What kind of a game do you wnat exactly?! :eek7:

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
but there aren't many games companies that can compete with blizzard tbh.

there is nothing wrong with that.
there are many companies, which have a fraction of the pie and they make a profit.
and funcom seems to be yet another company, but with totally different mmo games anarchy online ( which is gonna get patched soon 17.9 ) and age of conan ( unfinished or unpolished).

so apart from graphics ( which require a really good system) what is better in aoc than in wow?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
so apart from graphics ( which require a really good system) what is better in aoc than in wow?

If i listed them, you'd probably go "No that's not, that's not, no wow better" so there's no point.

You either like WoW better or AoC better, simple as that.

Totally different games anyway...

Aada

Part of the furniture
there is nothing wrong with that.
there are many companies, which have a fraction of the pie and they make a profit.
and funcom seems to be yet another company, but with totally different mmo games anarchy online ( which is gonna get patched soon 17.9 ) and age of conan ( unfinished or unpolished).

The melee combat system is fun but they could have done something better with the casting system to make that better too.

Part from that not much tbh :p

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
The melee combat system is fun but they could have done something better with the casting system to make that better too.

Part from that not much tbh :p

its fun when you solo but...in grp of 3+ assisting on normal mobs till 3-4 lvl higher , mob is dead before i finish high lvl combo.

another problem is reuse timers after being stunned or knocked back while you are in the middle of a combo...

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
Personally I find the melee system very very annoying in groups for this reason: Melee damage (at least for bear shamen*) is back loaded onto the last hit. If your target moves, you're out of luck, since combos "interrupt" if you have to move during the animation...

That's gonna suck for group PvP! Also healing is not as strong as I'd like, with no spammable single target heal (WTB the protection prayers line from guildwars tyvm!) which imo is bad news for group PvP too :S

* Why the hell can a healing class hit so hard? Using only short (15s) cool downs I'm getting same level mobs down to 10% health (or less) in 1 combo. I've seen 2k crits on same level mobs at 54, using some longer cool downs.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Because bear shaman isn't a healer class as much as it's a hybrid.

Just like dark templar.

I think,a s i proved on other thread, the "problem" with bear shaman is that peolpe play it like a healer.

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
I believe you need STRONG healing for group PvP to be any good, otherwise there is no way of stopping the assist train and accordingly no skill.

As such the BS ToS and PoM are all badly designed from a group PvP perspective.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Priest of Mithra, i believe, is STRONG in healing, paper thin, and hits like a fly in melee.

Bear shaman is NOT a pure healer. It's a combathealer. The heals are supposed to be "slightly helpful".

Aada

Part of the furniture
Priest of Mithra, i believe, is STRONG in healing, paper thin, and hits like a fly in melee.

Bear shaman is NOT a pure healer. It's a combathealer. The heals are supposed to be "slightly helpful".

Hits like a fly in melee?

Who the hell cares when a POM can nuke anyone down in seconds and heal too?

It's funny in this game how the healing classes do more damage then the Mage class ;/

/facepalm

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hits like a fly in melee?

Who the hell cares when a POM can nuke anyone down in seconds and heal too?

It's funny in this game how the healing classes do more damage then the Mage class ;/

/facepalm

Yes, as in reference to the bearshaman.

Havne't tried other mage classes except necro(which is another non-generic example), so can't say yet. Will try the full on healer and full on mage class, but i doubt they are as bad as peolpe say either.

Proved assassin and bearshaman as workable doubleteam killers so...

And the defining fact is, AoC classes are not usual MMO fantasy classes, but people complain because they don't work like usual MMO classes. You need to learn and adapt to those classes and then you manage anything really.

EDIT:

As an example whines:

"Assassin can't wear leather wtf?!" - It's not wow rogue.
"Necro takes aggro and there's no pets who take it away!" - It's NOT wow necro...
"There's no /stick /who or" - It's not...etcetc.--> shoot my self.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Personally I find the melee system very very annoying in groups for this reason: Melee damage (at least for bear shamen*) is back loaded onto the last hit. If your target moves, you're out of luck, since combos "interrupt" if you have to move during the animation...

That's gonna suck for group PvP! Also healing is not as strong as I'd like, with no spammable single target heal (WTB the protection prayers line from guildwars tyvm!) which imo is bad news for group PvP too :S

* Why the hell can a healing class hit so hard? Using only short (15s) cool downs I'm getting same level mobs down to 10% health (or less) in 1 combo. I've seen 2k crits on same level mobs at 54, using some longer cool downs.

It's shaman and not shamen.

I don't get it why you complain about healing classes doing high damage and mention Guild Wars at the same time, you can spec Monks/Ritualists for damage too.

Guild Wars has completly different healing systems than AoC and so does DAoC, thank god for it. Don't want 30 minutes long stand offs from Guild Wars or DAoC's easy mode.

As for the melee damage loaded onto last hit, if the combo has several directions, you hit each time and do damage each time you press a direction but the combo's effect and damage gets done with last direction and you can move to target before finalizing the combo. There snares, stuns and knockbacks to get some good damage in and a good team will have to cycle the CC to reliable get melee damage done. I think it is good solution.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH

That's gonna suck for group PvP!

I've found it quite useful to build up combo moves on one mob until it dies, and then move up to the next mob and do the finisher on it. I don't see why this shouldn't work in PvP also?

dee777

Loyal Freddie
I believe you need STRONG healing for group PvP to be any good, otherwise there is no way of stopping the assist train and accordingly no skill.

As such the BS ToS and PoM are all badly designed from a group PvP perspective.

_ALWAYS_ blame the system. _NEVER_ blame your playstyle. You played the way you do for ages, so why the hell should you...adapt?
*sigh*

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
"I don't get it why you complain about healing classes doing high damage and mention Guild Wars at the same time, you can spec Monks/Ritualists for damage too."

GW monks are wonderful PvP healers, and outside of certain gimmick builds (e.g. TA Shoveway) have no business trying to DPS -- also it's not possible to be good at healing and dps at the same time. I'd agree that GvG battle are a bit on the long side (and I think anet does too), however for such a simple game there's quite a degree of skill required (at least in balanced builds). Incidentally who made you internet spelling cop, nobody cares apart from you!

"I've found it quite useful to build up combo moves on one mob until it dies, and then move up to the next mob and do the finisher on it. I don't see why this shouldn't work in PvP also?"

Yes this does work to a degree. The limitations are the combo has to be completed within a small delay (makes sense), and that if you move while the animation for the last bit is playing the combo breaks (doesn't make sense to me). Incidentally you can start the combo anytime you please - no need to build up on mobs.

"_ALWAYS_ blame the system. _NEVER_ blame your playstyle. You played the way you do for ages, so why the hell should you...adapt?
*sigh*"

Sir, I'm intrigued by your mind-reading abilities, and would like to subscribe to your news letter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom