Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A discussion between Merkel May and Hollande, Junkarse is not going for it, but the precedent is set for the big three to agree, I've said before the EU is going to lose it's influence and the big players will start to seek their own mutual agendas.
So, not an EU announcement at all? You've read a speculative article on non-binding discussions and come online and preached announcement again haven't you Job.

And again with the non-posting of links!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So, not an EU announcement at all? You've read a speculative article on non-binding discussions and come online and preached announcement again haven't you Job.

And again with the non-posting of links!
Well it depends who you think is running the EU now, why would the three of them even bother if they didn't think they could push it through.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well it depends who you think is running the EU now, why would the three of them even bother if they didn't think they could push it through.
Doesn't depend on what I think at all, it depends on facts. And if you really can't be arsed posting your links when asked why bother?

No of course not, but it's not anecdotal either, it's just what I see in front of me. :)
Actually, based on personal observation is the very definition of anecdotal m8.

But I'm glad you're selling bikes like hot cakes :)

Not really selling em to foreigners :)
'cause the pound is so weak :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
OKish 3% base payrise in our company this year. Plus a negotiated rise later in the year, which may or may not be much. 90% of our business is imports from the EU.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Doesn't depend on what I think at all, it depends on facts. And if you really can't be arsed posting your links when asked why bother?

Actually, based on personal observation is the very definition of anecdotal m8.

But I'm glad you're selling bikes like hot cakes :)

'cause the pound is so weak :(

Nar just because we don't like em :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Actually - I sell quite a few to eastern European types, miserable buggers on the whole tbh

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
But actual hard data - purchase orders - not opinion.

Companies stopped spending and stopped receiving orders. Massively. Fact - not opinion.

Ah bless. Not very familiar with the PMI are you? It's far from "hard" data, no matter how many times you underline it. It's a survey. The hard data comes when we work out GDP for the quarter.

Plus, a figure of 49.1 (the manufacturing figure) is hardly a massive drop. More a continuation of the drop that started in April.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Woa there, are you suggesting people can cherry pick different "experts" opinions just because they happen to fit with their own opinion?!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Woa there, are you suggesting people can cherry pick different "experts" opinions just because they happen to fit with their own opinion?!
Especially those experts that are narrow minded morons with blinders on?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Oh wait! Actual video interview with the Royal Society president on this exact same subject paints a very different view from that printed in the brexit-leaning Torygraph.

Strangely, his different-from-torygraph views are mirrored by no less than seven of the UK's Acadamies for Science - presidents of the Royal Society, the Royal Academy of Engineering, the Academy of Medical Sciences, the British Academy, the Royal Society of Edinburgh, the Royal Irish Academy and the Learned Society of Wales - publishing a joint letter saying that Brexit is already harming science in the UK.

Turns out that a pro-brexit paper may not be portraying what the scientists themselves are saying eh?

Bodhi

Shame that letter was written a week ago, so is clearly already out of date.

Apparently.

Bodhi

I thought that when you used the same argument two pages ago.

And you attempt to discredit an article due to the publication's position on the referendum by posting a BBC link? Srsly?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm glad that video's being shown because it makes it clear that Venki Ramakrishnan's reported comments were more about appealing to the government to match EU funding than to say EU funding isn't going to disappear. To me that shows more that academia are concerned already that their worst fears will come true, not the other way around, they just don't jump up and down shouting like politicians do :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Plus, a figure of 49.1 (the manufacturing figure) is hardly a massive drop. More a continuation of the drop that started in April.

... and we're such a manufacturing economy? How about this for good measure, eh?:

The PMI for the services sector fell to 47.4 in July from 52.3 in June, the steepest drop since records began in 1996 and the worst reading since March 2009, around the low point of the global economic recession. Economists polled by Reuters had expected a much smaller fall to 49.2.

... or overall viewpoint:

The flash, or preliminary, Markit survey of purchasing managers - executives who make spending decisions at 1,250 big firms - fell by the most in its 20-year history.

Full article:

Britain's economy wilting fast after Brexit vote, may prompt more spending

*waits for 'Reuters are biased' comments*

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Any predictions on the UK economy at this stage before we have even actually left is pointless, it will take years before we can call it a disaster or a benefit.
People doing it are on the same level as a gambler watching a roulette wheel, and the doomsters here are determined to pick on every tiny up or down with no trend whatsoever to use it as proof that brexiters are idiots.
The biggest challenges for the world economy is energy and automation, so we need to start fracking and investing in AI.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And you attempt to discredit an article due to the publication's position on the referendum by posting a BBC link? Srsly?
No - I posted an article with a video of the President of the Royal Society talking about the subject covered by your torygraph article showing that it's complete and utter grade-A bullshit - from the spoken words of the man himself.

But "the beeb", right? :)

Bodhi

Emphasis.

Emphasis added by Auntie, as I'm struggling to see any mention of Brexit in the press release.

GSK announces significant new investment in UK manufacturing network | GSK

Impartial news source my arse.

Must admit I haven't read it that much recently as all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the result was turning it into a slightly better spelt version of the Guardian, but have they mentioned the 350 million + expansion of London City Airport that's just been announced? Or that shareholders in the German Stock Exchange just voted overwhelmingly to merge with London? Or Wells Fargo deciding to set up a new HQ, again in London, spending another 300 million in the process?

If this is the predicted Armageddon, then I don't think we'll be needing Bruce Willis for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom