caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's the largest and closest game and the one that we're already the most thoroughly intertwined with, though. Things might be fantastic 20 years down the line but for the foreseeable future there's uncertainty which makes big important business-y types nervous about committing to the UK. Which hurts the UK.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Still it's not all bad. The worst airline to fly out of the UK have announced they won't be investing in any more routes.

Wizz Air takes UK business elsewhere "as direct result of Brexit"

If they could get rid of the routes they have, so we never have to suffer £35 to check in at the airport, £40 for a carry on bag larger than a handbag, and leg room that would make Budget Airlines in Asia wince ever again, that would be awesome.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Still it's not all bad. The worst airline to fly out of the UK have announced they won't be investing in any more routes.

Wizz Air takes UK business elsewhere "as direct result of Brexit"

If they could get rid of the routes they have, so we never have to suffer £35 to check in at the airport, £40 for a carry on bag larger than a handbag, and leg room that would make Budget Airlines in Asia wince ever again, that would be awesome.
lol.

Bodhi

Oh come now Scouse, I can't believe that Deloitte's 'survey of chief financial officers of Britain's 350 biggest companies' can possibly hold a candle to Bodhi's extensive research... they're bloody 'experts' after all!

Pretty sure the people I was talking to were experts as well, which brings me back to a point I made earlier - to take someone's word as scripture because they are an expert is a complete fallacy (look up Appeal to Authority), as experts can be wrong. Sure, take it as a starting point, but critical thought has to be applied with any statement, whether it's from the head of the IMF (an organisation which seems to be majorly backtracking on its predictions of doom and gloom - despite Brexit, they still forecast that our economy will grow, post Brexit, faster than any other G7 nation except the US), or Job.

Remember, experts usually disagree with each other, just as often as us plebs do - and they can't all be right.

Anyway to me there are two main concerns following Brexit we need to get sorted - if we do we will be in a stronger position than before, given the possibilities opening up outside of the EU.

1) Financial Passporting - to me this is the big one, as much as we dislike the City of London, they provide an enormous amount of tax to the Exchequer (pretty sure I've seen 15% mentioned, but I could be wrong), and Paris is already making overtures to City based firms - not sure how they'll get on with 70% income tax, or how the rest of France would appreciate a tax break for the rich - but reading today a solution may already be in process, opening up EU markets for a host of non-EU countries - U.K. Hedge-Fund Brexit Concerns Eased by EU Access Opinion - if this is the case, there seem every likelihood that the City will continue as usual.

2) Research Grants - this is more of an issue at this point in time, however I honestly can't see the EU continuing to try to avoid UK based research - as that just wouldn't be in anyone's interest, UK or EU for that to happen. Plenty of non-EU countries are still in the Horizon 2020 program, and we still have some of the top research organisations and academic institutions in the world, so to me cutting them out would be ever so slightly self defeating. I find it ever so slightly hard to believe that an arrangement won't be devised.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If you believe absolutely everything that experts say without A, challenging it and B, looking into it yourself you are no better than a religious type.

Don't forget, these experts are wrong quite a lot of the time, these experts refused to see that the global markets were about to go to the wall, denying it until it happened.

They also failed to see how south Greece would go.

They are currently in denial about Italy and Spain, who are both about to go bust.

For the most part it is educated guesses and for every statement made by one "expert" you will find a counter claim from another "expert"

Its also pretty fucking obvious, "experts" based in the EU or with vested interest in the EU are going to be crying doom.

Truth is, nobody knows but the sooner the bleeters got over it the better, we need to make the best of what we have.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Balls - I was wondering when one of you two were going to bring up appeal to authority.

Your usage in this context is wrong. You're emotional denial of expert opinion (the vast majority of which is clearly against you) is because it goes against what you want to think - and is the way back to the caves :p

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
and now the economy is doing fine, but if course that's atm, but all the 'experts' have got it wrong so far, because there is no expertise in economics...as Raven says, just educated guesses, everyday financial experts lose millions on the stock marcino.

The speaker at the daughters graduation yesterday gave a brilliant speech about the conflicts in the labour party, the sudden unexpected change in Tory leadership, the dreadful England performance, strange weather events prompting concerns of the climate, a new and evolving relationship with Europe
Then he said..of course I'm talking about 1951.
Nothing new under the Sun, as a History teacher he watches the same stuff cycle

Last edited:

Job

The Bank of England, whose governor Mark Carney warned in May that Brexit was likely “to have a negative impact in the short term” reported that no such impact could be detected.

The Bank’s network of “regional agents” said UK firms were trying to maintain “business as usual” and the Bank said: “As yet, there was no clear evidence of a sharp general slowing in activity.”

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well I had a client in this morning about steel fabrication who said he saw a rise in costs straight off the bat, just from the GBP vs dollar fall. However, he isn't massively worried for the long term, as he says, it has dropped before, it will gain and drop again. The industry (industrial construction) I am in won't see anything for another couple of years as we tend to always work on long term projects that are planned sometimes years in advance. We haven't seen a slow down in proposed projects though and are still hiring to meet the increase in workload over the last couple of years.

Its the same as the crash, the experts wrote the construction industry off, we actually saw massive growth as did the sector. Lots of shit companies will use it as a handy excuse for poor performance though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Who woulda thunk
Not you eh?

- the BoE opinion is old but Yuck's quoted piece is about the first piece of actual hard data that's been collected since Brexit.

But don't let the only solid fact we have stand in the way of your pink vision.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yet other experts disagree.

Bank of England sees no clear evidence Brexit has hurt economy yet | Reuters

Who woulda thunk it eh?

And the increase in sales of rose tinted glasses had been dwarfed by the increase in Germolene to soothe butthurt Remainers :)

That's in relation to a decision to keep interest rates unchanged by the policy committee... they are merely delaying until next month's meeting to allow further evidence to be gathered, and today's Markit survey is the first of such evidence as Scouse said whilst the Reuters article was posted on the 20th and the survey came out today. I think almost everyone now fully expects a rate cut by the BoE next month...

Bodhi

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm also intrigued why that news supercedes the B of E report, also based upon economic data?

Because (as previously stated, by the way) it is the most up to date data, and the only confirmed data gathered so far since the 'Brexit' vote results came out.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Famously volatile survey reacting to market volatility shocker.

Oh... and how are Markit's indices 'famously' volatile, exactly?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I dont trust markit. But its a personal thing i had business dealings with them

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If the economy does crash and burn I wonder what the response of the UK will be - European sabotage?

Job

The EU is offering 7 years migration cap...which of course is bullshit, but its a significant announcement that will change the EUs strict policies on everything..if they really do offer it in plain English, thats pretty well game over for migration across the EU.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The EU is offering 7 years migration cap...which of course is bullshit, but its a significant announcement that will change the EUs strict policies on everything..if they really do offer it in plain English, thats pretty well game over for migration across the EU.
A significant announcement, by the EU? Amazing!

Please to be providing a link to this official and definitely genuine offer, definitely announced by the EU.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Clue is in the name - "Flash" PMI - i.e a point in time snapshot.
But actual hard data - purchase orders - not opinion.

Companies stopped spending and stopped receiving orders. Massively. Fact - not opinion.

Job

A significant announcement, by the EU? Amazing!

Please to be providing a link to this official and definitely genuine offer, definitely announced by the EU.
A discussion between Merkel May and Hollande, Junkarse is not going for it, but the precedent is set for the big three to agree, I've said before the EU is going to lose it's influence and the big players will start to seek their own mutual agendas.

Job

The Hogfathers bike shop by us, I always think of Throd everytime I go past it.
Screenshot_2016-07-25-20-10-52.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom