old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't see how leaving is beneficial to the economy in any way

It was similar on the Scottish indyref; their white paper was all based around $100 a barrel of oil which was incredibly optimistic at the time and dire in reality leading to higher taxation and borrowing. It didn't / won't stop the die hard nationalists though

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
scotland voted to stay, etc.

The 60+ demographic kept the No vote afloat - I wonder how the demographic split will be for the EU vote? Will old people prefer to be out, and young people in?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
For all those stayers, are we forgetting the country voted Nigel Farage to be our MEP.

Just frickin LOL to our opinion of the EU.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Swastikas from a group of 30 people.

They're not neo-nazis though, its' only a small minority within that 30 man group who are!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
For all those stayers, are we forgetting the country voted Nigel Farage to be our MEP.

Just frickin LOL to our opinion of the EU.

You do know we get more than one?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The stay crowd are doing an excellent job of making me lean towards a leave vote.

If all they can do is issue threats then fuck'um.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm not really bothered about the City tbh, it's pretty much common sense that they'd survive without the EU, since it's more global markets, and I'd imagine it has more to do with America that Europe (I might be wrong, but my point still remains)

I'm more concerned about larger businesses that actively trade products across Europe, and if they get more trade out of Europe than they would in.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
If you guys are leaving the EU, do we need to get visum or some such to stay for a longer period of time, and also the other way around?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
500k more immigrants anticipated this year, I expect this campaign is going to come down to the stay campaign fearmongering about the economy and the leave campaign fearmongering about the immigrants.

Any rational discussion will be met with stern hostility :d

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
500k is a ridiculous amount, being in or out of Europe will make little difference though.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If you guys are leaving the EU, do we need to get visum or some such to stay for a longer period of time, and also the other way around?

All these sort of questions will remain up in the air unless there is a vote to leave, then should the UK leave the EU all such issues will be sorted out in the 2 years or something it takes to disengage.

As I've said before, the UK will be fine outside the EU since we are still part of Europe and get on well with most countries in Europe but it would be a little bumpy for the first few years.

DaGaffer

All these sort of questions will remain up in the air unless there is a vote to leave, then should the UK leave the EU all such issues will be sorted out in the 2 years or something it takes to disengage.

As I've said before, the UK will be fine outside the EU since we are still part of Europe and get on well with most countries in Europe but it would be a little bumpy for the first few years.

2 years? LOL. Try ten.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
2 years might not be enough, all sorts of shit needs to be untangled

The hoover power case for example, if the UK leaves and wants to sell these higher powered hoover than eu allows, the manufactirers would need to comply with a seperate set of safety and quality certifications

Every single product that currently benefits from an EU certification would need to be re-certified if the UK standard is different, and any products made in UK for EU market would still need to meet the EU certification standards, will it be worth it for companies to have seperate production lines for a marginally different product for just the UK market? In most cases probably not

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hoovers...really?
Perfectly sensible EU legislation...no one needs 1600watt vacuums.

DaGaffer

Hoovers...really?
Perfectly sensible EU legislation...no one needs 1600watt vacuums.

Call yourself an Englishman? It's your inalienable right to have a vacuum cleaner that can suck the eyeballs off an illegal immigrant from 50 paces, and no bloody bureaucrat in Brussels should be able to stop you.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They put off banning our high power kettles in case it tips the scales for the leave campaign.

no joke.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
All that tea drinking is causing havoc, havoc i tells you

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
They put off banning our high power kettles in case it tips the scales for the leave campaign.

no joke.
Already banned "normal" light bulbs.

I'm in a moral dilemma with this, up until recently I would absolutely vote out. Now though, due to emigrating to another EU country I want to vote in. It'll make life a lot easier for me and probably strengthen the pound back up. I'll feel dirty.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
2 years might not be enough, all sorts of shit needs to be untangled

The hoover power case for example, if the UK leaves and wants to sell these higher powered hoover than eu allows, the manufactirers would need to comply with a seperate set of safety and quality certifications

Every single product that currently benefits from an EU certification would need to be re-certified if the UK standard is different, and any products made in UK for EU market would still need to meet the EU certification standards, will it be worth it for companies to have seperate production lines for a marginally different product for just the UK market? In most cases probably not

They already do this, so I'm not entirely sure how things would be massively different if we left.

British Standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some British Standards, some have been superceded by European Legislation.

Still not seeing any compelling argument to stay tbh. The sky will fall in and everyone will kill each other aren't really compelling arguments, and all the talk of "consequences" just makes me more convinced fucking off out of there is the best approach.

After all this referendum is an exercise in democracy, and if there's one thing the small band of bureaucrats (maybe oligarchs is more accurate) who run the EU hate, it's democracy.

DaGaffer

They already do this, so I'm not entirely sure how things would be massively different if we left.

British Standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some British Standards, some have been superceded by European Legislation.

Still not seeing any compelling argument to stay tbh. The sky will fall in and everyone will kill each other aren't really compelling arguments, and all the talk of "consequences" just makes me more convinced fucking off out of there is the best approach.

After all this referendum is an exercise in democracy, and if there's one thing the small band of bureaucrats (maybe oligarchs is more accurate) who run the EU hate, it's democracy.

Still not seeing a compelling argument to leave either, tomayto, tomahto. And since there are no obvious benefits... (please don't say "democracy". The UK ranks 13th in world for democratic institutions and all but two of the countries in front of the UK are in the EU, and if you honestly think brexit UK would become more democratic you're mad as a balloon.)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Considering consequences of your political actions seems pretty sensible to me

The EU is a democracy, you vote for MEPs after all and the council of ministers is made up of elected officials from EU members, the problem is all the closed door shenanigans, but remember even that part is taken care of by elected officials

No legislation or executive decisions are made by a bureaucrat without it being approved by someone thats been elected - if you dont like their decisions then vote for someone else

It has flaws yes, the decisions are sometimes baffling, and frankly a lot of it is stuck in the mud of politics

But is it any less democratic or accountable than any national government? Not really no

and a brit complaining about lack of democracy while living in an outdated two party first past the post system is laughable :p

Embattle

FH is my second home
A lot of laws/regulations made in the EU would still be enacted here even if the UK left the Eu, mainly to simplify things for companies etc but naturally there isn't a requirement to enact EU laws when outside of the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom