Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I went to technical college in the...holy crap ages ago, there were 4 very quiet and studious Iranians in our class,, I have every reason to believe they are now nuclear bomb scientists.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
mmm. But what has your racism got to do with the EU?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I went to technical college in the...holy crap ages ago, there were 4 very quiet and studious Iranians in our class,, I have every reason to believe they are now nuclear bomb scientists.
Honestly I doubt it if they were in the same class as you.

Job

It's not racism, one of them had Enola Gay by OMD looped on his walkman, another kept drawing overlapping circles on maps and colouring them in red,.orange, yellow.

Anyway, heres the truth about brexit and wether it would actually happen.

Is the EU referendum legally binding?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
aRePe2y_700b_v1.jpg

Job

Honestly I doubt it if they were in the same class as you.
Yes they were, I can almost remember their faces, one was a sort of typical olive skinned arab, the other, believe it or not was a double for the guy with curly hair and moustache from Frankie goes to Hollywood.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Anyone care to share the mood on the ground? Are people voting where you live? Did you vote?

Lots of dickheads in short trousers and bow ties wearing "I'm in" badges on the Southbank today.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
So thoughts anyone (excluding Job)?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, pound crashing, 100 billion wiped off shares overnight, Skirtland about to have another referendum so the prospect of a UK breakup is on the cards.

Speculating maybe not-so-wildly - Northern Ireland voted remain - will they also attempt ditch the UK and go for unification making the years and deaths during the struggle with the IRA wasted effort (or will there even be a resurgence?).

Anyway, doesn't seem like the "hospital a week" will be getting built eh?

:)

old.user4556

So thoughts anyone (excluding Job)?

Meh, as follows:

- a minority of the UK public pulled us out of the EU, and an old aged minority at that (however, the percentage of population who didn't vote doesn't come into it, bleh)
- London wanted to Remain
- Scotland wanted to Remain
- NI wanted to Remain
- it's middle England and Wales that wanted out
- Sturgeon has put Indyref 2 on the table already, so the UK is really under threat
- other countries will want a kick of the referendum ball, so this could cascade and cause a chain reaction amongst central Europe

However my thoughts:

- the EU might dissolve depending on what other countries do now, so there will be no EU for iScot to join
- there's a lot of water under the bridge over the next two years during Brexit negotiations, it's not a done deal by a long way - perhaps we'll get a "Norway" setup that might be much more favourable

It's far too early to say apart from the immediate doom and gloom of the markets which was bound to happen.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Farage already came out and said the "£350m to the NHS" line was a "mistake" (not sure I recall him acknowledging the mistake before millions went to the polls).

The fact that Scotland and NI were so pro-Remain means there are more referendums on the horizon. I would think a Scottish one is all but a certainty, Sinn Fein already wants one in NI (what would even happen on that border with an EU RoI and an independent NI?), La Pen has "congratulated" the British people. Trump is over the moon, Putin is probably a bit more relaxed now too.

It looked bleak as soon as Newcastle came in with much less of a Remain lead than expected.

old.user4556

Also, for discussion / opinion as I mentioned above:

HOW AGES VOTED
(YouGov poll)
18-24: 75% Remain
25-49: 56% Remain
50-64: 44% Remain
65+: 39% Remain

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Well, I'm gonna qualify and move away from the UK.

I'll let the little Englanders get upset about a Tory Government screwing them over by cutting their benefits and reducing their pensions, just because Polski Pete isn't taking their job anymore.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I didn't expect to wake up to this today..... To those who used this as a protest vote, you are stupid fucking idiots....

So you want to take back control ... In 3 months there will be a new leader that only c130k vote for.. If the Labour Party have their way a new opposition leader voted in by a similar number of individuals and then a general election...

There is no Norway solution... Norway agree to free movement of people....

I truly hope that people can pull together and somehow make this work.... How that will happen is beyond my tired head (as I have been up most of the night)

Gwadien

I don't understand why people are being so naive.

Norway are a tiny nation, so the EU can give them special treatment because they wouldn't have a massive contribution to the EU anyway.

Leave have always planned on going back to the EU and renegotiating them being in, but not fully in, and the EU will just take the piss because they know that the reality of going totally solo for Britain is unrealistic and difficult.

Job

Will it actually happen?
Cameron won't do it, new prime minister doesn't have to do it, he can claim lack of mandate, trigger new general election, if he loses, then Labour won't do it.
I'll wait till it happens, as for stock market crash...one, we need to get rid of shares based stock market and go back to dividends.
Two, the entire worlds stocks have crashed, you know, because the whole thing is a pyramid scheme based on gambling by people who do nothing except risk other peoples money.

Anyway, should Corbyn go?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Must admit I went to bed thinking that neither would result would be particularly great, we'd either be facing the uncertainty we do now (although I notice Sterling and the FTSE have started to recover already - in fact all that made the drop so severe was the City getting their predictions wrong last night), or we'd have given the go-ahead for more EU which sounds almost as unpleasant.

Tbh I put the blame for yesterday's vote squarely on the EU itself. If it had stayed as a Free Trade area that encouraged co-operation between members I don't think yesterday's vote would have even taken place - but sadly they got greedy and wanted to plough forwards with a political union nobody really has an appetite for. That's why I think Norway's arrangement is perfect - easy to do business with the EU, but don't have to worry about the threat of "ever closer union".

Interesting years lie ahead, but I am strangely more optimistic in the long term than I would have been if it went the other way. I'm sure that makes me some sort of racist Little Englander Idiot judging by my Facebook feed, but meh.

Job

Practically civil war in this country, but stop calling us little Englanders, most of Europe has huge swathes of anti Euro feeling, we should sidestep that dinosaur institution and just trade and share amongst as selves as usual.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The threat of the French-style hairy fanny has finally been quashed.

Sturty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

I tend to like and have done since the days of game etc. Anyway, felt compelled to post to his given he vote.

I think the stats regarding age tells is interesting nn as far as the 18-24 age group has grown up always having been part of Europe and to imagine a life or country outside of that on its own is both a scary foreign concept. The age goes up, the vote slides down in direct comparison.

Name calling has been a took and weapon of suppressing the vocal minority for years, certainly since Labour began they 3 term stay with Blair. Immigration couldn't be talked about it brought to the fore without being shouted at and branded racist. This continues now with the choice to leave Europe.

Little Englanders and the such is the more modern equivalent.

Gwadien

I'll wait till it happens, as for stock market crash...one, we need to get rid of shares based stock market and go back to dividends.

Here's my biggest complaint about older Out voters - Ah, we're settled, we have a house pretty much paid off the mortgage so yeah, fuck it, let's have a bit of risk!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
we need to get rid of shares based stock market and go back to dividends
Dividends are paid out based on share ownership. They're two sides of the same coin.

Really @Job. You are the physical embodiment of the ideal Brexit voter.

Sturty

Fledgling Freddie
Here's my biggest complaint about older Out voters - Ah, we're settled, we have a house pretty much paid off the mortgage so yeah, fuck it, let's have a bit of risk!

People tend to vote with their own personal interests the main priority , as they should.

Perhaps you should direct your anger at any complacent 'remain voter's that couldn't be bothered.

Voting out and taking a risk was and is a very brave vote that I'm sure most people gave a loy if thought to.

I hope that if the country doesn't go down the pan, were not all destitute and things actually improve you'll be man enough to say thanks or leave like you said.

Of course, if it does all go wrong, I'll hold my hands up with an utter if 'Oops'.

Gwadien

People tend to vote with their own personal interests the main priority , as they should.

Perhaps you should direct your anger at any complacent 'remain voter's that couldn't be bothered.

Voting out and taking a risk was and is a very brave vote that I'm sure most people gave a loy if thought to.

I hope that if the country doesn't go down the pan, were not all destitute and things actually improve you'll be man enough to say thanks or leave like you said.

Of course, if it does all go wrong, I'll hold my hands up with an utter if 'Oops'.

Again, you're wrong, I didn't vote for my own personal interest at heart, frankly the immigration & 'We don't govern ourselves' arguments are totally bullshit - Immigration will not change and we have a house of lords which only this year managed to completely block a bill coming through which the Government subsequently u-turned, so we should sort out our own country before going crusading really.

The reason why I'm most annoyed with the EU is that it's evident that there's clear dislike for the EU, and like all the other Remain supporters, I completely agree that it's flawed, but it needed to be fixed on the inside, it's a forever shrinking world, we need our friends and our allies closer than ever before, the world will be soon divided into 6 super powers (China, India, Brazil, Europe, Russia and America) the idea of us being able to go alone is frankly ridiculous in this sense and we'll be begging to rejoin a flawed EU.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As said before, and as the demographics and voting patterns bore out, voting out was mainly a working-class protest rage vote against elites. And as Herr Ukipper quickly admitted, a lot of people aren't going to be getting what they think they voted for.

Job

Dividends are paid out based on share ownership. They're two sides of the same coin.

Really @Job. You are the physical embodiment of the ideal Brexit voter.
Yes, but dividends used to be the profit, but now wild speculation is the norm on share prices.
The original idea of shares and dividends was sensible, now it has been bastardised into an industry of betting that holds countries to ransom and puts world changing powers in the hands of gamblers.
It should be folded up, people can't see a world outside share dealing, it would be much less volatile, with sensible steady growth, we are hooked on the high, even ordinary joe's do it now, they have sold you all the crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom